U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2013, 06:02 AM

3,257 posts, read 4,934,367 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
I've always thought about becoming a realtor someday and operating my own business.

This is still pretty far down the line, but it never hurts to start thinking now.

I had my own marketing agency in the past and really liked running my own business. I've now worked for several marketing agencies and like the work, but not the stress or politics. It's fine for now, and I'm making good money - but I don't see myself doing it in 10 years (I'm 29 now).

Why do I feel suited to real estate? I have a knack for a lot of aspects: local information, home decor/design, photography (it amazes me how BAD some realtors are at it), marketing/design skills, web/social media savvy, public speaking/sales/pitch abilities, etc. If there's one thing I can do, it's market and sell the crap out of something.

I'm even working on an online real estate startup with a colleague right now.

Incidentally, my dad went from advertising to real estate in his career.

I guess the challenge would be the transition. I'm making six figures at the moment, and can't imagine making anything close to that when I start out. I would have to have a cushion. But more importantly, how would I start out?

What are the requirements in CT for getting a broker's license and having your own agency? Do you have to work for an outside company for a while?

Right now I have a bachelor's in business, what else would I need to do education wise?

The information out there is daunting and sometimes contradictory, so I would love to get some thoughts.
I'm taking a licensing course now to get my license back. I was licensed over 30 years ago and let it expire. You mentioned you and a colleague were working on an on-line real estate start up. In case you're not aware any real estate transaction in requires a broker's license in Connecticut. I'd check state laws as well because your on-line business may also need to be registered under a broker's license. As Amy had pointed out one must work have a salesperson's license first and work under a broker for a minimum of 2 years and fulfill other necessary prerequisites before they can receive their broker's license.

Here's a link to the Connecticut Department of Consumer Protection website that oversees licensing of brokers and salespersons.

DCP: License, Permit & Registration Forms
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2013, 08:59 AM

14,847 posts, read 18,123,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lincolnian View Post
I'm taking a licensing course now to get my license back. I was licensed over 30 years ago and let it expire. You mentioned you and a colleague were working on an on-line real estate start up. In case you're not aware any real estate transaction in requires a broker's license in Connecticut. I'd check state laws as well because your on-line business may also need to be registered under a broker's license. As Amy had pointed out one must work have a salesperson's license first and work under a broker for a minimum of 2 years and fulfill other necessary prerequisites before they can receive their broker's license.

Here's a link to the Connecticut Department of Consumer Protection website that oversees licensing of brokers and salespersons.

DCP: License, Permit & Registration Forms
My partner has a license, but good lookin' out!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut