U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2013, 07:52 AM

25 posts, read 51,665 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesse_f View Post
We did the conversion this past summer and are loving the $250 gas bills for Dec and Jan ($85 for Oct and Nov). That includes heating for a 2k square foot house and hot water for 3 people. We got a few bids and ended up going with Matt Sando @ Modern Heating in Milford. He was the best priced and owns the company, so service was excellent as well (and has been on a few follow-ups and add on's).

The first thing to do is check with SoConn or Yankee gas to see if there's a line in your block. If there is, they should be able to run it to your house at no cost, providing you agree to hook up a furnace within six months. All in, for a 96% efficiency furnace and 50 gal hot water tank (including a chimney liner, etc) we spent a little under $8k. Considering the oil co estimated our seasonal usage at 800 gallons, or $3,200, we're pretty happy. I figure the payback period will be about 3 years tops. Our electric bill dropped about $50 a month too b/c we're no longer using an electric water tank.

Re: tankless, we didn't do that for the same reason we did the vented water tank - we wanted to have hot water during power outages, which you won't have with a tankless system unless you put in a generator. Also, the tankless was about $3k versus half that for the tank, and our installer said we wouldn't see a cost savings or performance benefit based on our usage.

I'd give Matt a call, tell him Jesse sent you - 203-283-0593
Jesse, sounds like a great price. CNG said they will put the line in for free. I'm getting estimates from contractor now which range from $7500 for a high efficiency tankless combi to $10000 for a high eff. boiler with a 40 gal indirect tank. Every time the oil truck comes, the only thing he doesn't bring is a gun!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2013, 05:03 PM

1 posts, read 1,469 times
Hi Jesse_f: Thanks for the recommendation of Matt at Modern Heating- I've been having a hard time getting a reasonable estimate down here in lower FFL'D County. I hope you can tell me though, did you already have a gas line coming into your house? Yankee Gas will not charge to bring a line from the street and up through my yard to the exterior of the house, I confirmed, but I am wondering if your quote included the work to bring the line INTO your house.
Lastly, do you remember the # of BTUs your furnace has? My house is 1900 square feet vs your 2k, so I am just curious to know what was recommended for your new furnace. Thanks for your help- much appreciated.

Old 04-04-2013, 07:36 AM

229 posts, read 325,931 times
Is there an option for those who live in more rural areas and don't have gas lines drawn up to their streets? Who initiates the process of bringing gas in an area? (the closest area to us that has natural gas is two miles away)

Old 04-04-2013, 10:56 AM

399 posts, read 630,020 times
Hi,
We arranged for SoConn Gas to run the line from the street to my house. They don't charge for that as long as you hook up a furnace within 6 months. So the quote was for the furnace, water heater, chimney liner, duct re-fitting, etc - but nothing outside my house. And actually that included removing the old oil tank as well. I don't know how many BTU's, but I'll look tonight if I can remember. The furnace itself is a Carrier 96.7% Performance Series 2-stage. With the cold spell in March, by bill went up to $220, including for the hot water. Loving it...

Give Matt a call, he'll give you a straight answer and has a great network of other contractors that have come in handy so far too.

Old 04-11-2013, 06:49 AM

12 posts, read 20,314 times
We converted two years ago. We have steam radiator heat in a big, old drafty house. Tri-City Appliance did the work for us and they were very nice and cleaned up afterwards. It was just under $10,000 and we used Home Depot financing to get it. That did not include the oil tank removal. Our job was probably pricier than most because the pipes coming from our old 1950's furnace had to be retrofit for the new furnace. We wanted to get the furnace/hot water heater combo but decided it wasn't in our budget at this time. Our monthly savings in heat is tremendous.

Old 05-07-2013, 10:58 AM

25 posts, read 51,665 times
Doing the conversion now with (Joe) Horvath and co. and expect to finish this week. He is installing a 110 BTU 95% efficiency gas boiler with a 40 gallon indirect. My house is around 2000 sf, well insulated. He is doing a great job and should be finished soon. He also piped in a temporary 40 gallon electric HW heater to holds us until conversion and inspection. CT Natural Gas brought the line in for free. They did a very clean installation like they were never here. I also sold my above ground 275 gal oil tank on craigslist after getting estimates of $500-750 to get someone to take it out!

Old 05-07-2013, 12:07 PM

2,325 posts, read 2,689,360 times
Don't forget you can span your gas bill across the year so you are not hit with high costs in the winter-time. Basically you could pay $100 a month all year round instead of 50, 80, 250, 200, etc. It's a lot easier to budget.

We just got a home that is natural gas baseboard heat, a newer hot water heater, gas cook top. It was a MAJOR item on our checklist along with city sewer and city water. I could not believe how hard it is to find a home that has all three. CT I get is full of old charm but that charm is loaded with septic, well, and oil. For a state whose government is pushing for natural gas I sure don't see a lot of lines being run into existing neighborhoods.

Old 05-07-2013, 12:50 PM

2,890 posts, read 2,966,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clutchrider View Post
Don't forget you can span your gas bill across the year so you are not hit with high costs in the winter-time. Basically you could pay $100 a month all year round instead of 50, 80, 250, 200, etc. It's a lot easier to budget.

We just got a home that is natural gas baseboard heat, a newer hot water heater, gas cook top. It was a MAJOR item on our checklist along with city sewer and city water. I could not believe how hard it is to find a home that has all three. CT I get is full of old charm but that charm is loaded with septic, well, and oil. For a state whose government is pushing for natural gas I sure don't see a lot of lines being run into existing neighborhoods.
To each their own- I prefer septic and private wells. Natural gas has been cheaper for 7 out of the last 10 years, but their were no cost savings prior to the early 2000s.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut