U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 02-13-2013, 08:19 PM
 
5 posts, read 9,656 times
Reputation: 24

Advertisements

Hi guys! I will be traveling in NYC tomorrow from Torrington. I am looking for the best train to take (Im thinking Bridgeport or New Haven??) ... We will be returning on Sunday afternoon. I need help knowing which one has the best parking garages (safety! and fees) for a few nights... Any help is appreciated!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-13-2013, 09:21 PM
 
4,772 posts, read 7,490,512 times
Reputation: 3959
Are you willing to head further south to Stamford? Don't have to worry much about safety here and you can leave your car in a garage that is just south of the train station and attached to it with a skybridge.

Plus, you can take the express train to Manhattan, which will drop you off at Grand Central after making its one and only additional stop at Harlem.

Pros:

1. Leaving your car in a safer area than the areas around the Bridgeport/New Haven stations, so don't have to worry too much.

2. Don't have to even step foot on a Stamford sidewalk if you don't want to, since you can use the skybridge. lol

3. Express train, 40 minutes later you are in NYC.

4. Easy access to and from I-95.

Cons:

It will take longer to get to the Stamford station for a very obvious reason.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-14-2013, 05:57 AM
 
Location: W Hartford, CT
1,785 posts, read 3,441,616 times
Reputation: 1189
Just an FYI, all of the Metro North stops that are parking lots and without garages offer free parking on the weekends, starting at 5PM on Friday. Stamford's station is huge, plenty of parking, and safety defintely isn't an issue. But as Antonion said, it's not the closest. There's also a MetroNorth stop in Waterbury if that's a shorter drive, but it may involve changing trains. One possibility is Fairfield - it's closer, free on weekends, and they have a pretty large-sized lot. It's right off I-95 right when you cross the town line.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-14-2013, 06:38 AM
 
346 posts, read 306,170 times
Reputation: 178
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikefromCT View Post
Just an FYI, all of the Metro North stops that are parking lots and without garages offer free parking on the weekends, starting at 5PM on Friday. Stamford's station is huge, plenty of parking, and safety defintely isn't an issue. But as Antonion said, it's not the closest. There's also a MetroNorth stop in Waterbury if that's a shorter drive, but it may involve changing trains. One possibility is Fairfield - it's closer, free on weekends, and they have a pretty large-sized lot. It's right off I-95 right when you cross the town line.
The last time I went to NYC, I went from Waterbury. You do have to change trains, but when I went this meant getting off on one platform and waiting for the next train to pull up to the same platform and get on.

It was cheap, too. Something lik $25 round trip, ticket bought on board.

Things could have changed since then, though. It was a couple years ago. Are the Metro North trains from Waterbury back on schedule? I now they were bussing people after the storm.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-14-2013, 07:27 AM
 
Location: Connecticut
1,044 posts, read 1,290,160 times
Reputation: 1123
I live in Thomaston. If I have to go to New York and don't have to be there or leave there at a specific time (e.g. I can make my own schedule) I take the train out of Waterbury or Naugatuck (much safer place to park than Waterbury). If I have to catch an event that starts and ends at a certain time (e.g. Yankees game) I take the train out of Bridgeport because they have frequent trains while service on the Waterbury line is only at a select few times.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-14-2013, 09:13 AM
 
Location: W Hartford, CT
1,785 posts, read 3,441,616 times
Reputation: 1189
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Scorcho View Post
The last time I went to NYC, I went from Waterbury. You do have to change trains, but when I went this meant getting off on one platform and waiting for the next train to pull up to the same platform and get on.

It was cheap, too. Something lik $25 round trip, ticket bought on board.

Things could have changed since then, though. It was a couple years ago. Are the Metro North trains from Waterbury back on schedule? I now they were bussing people after the storm.
I've never had any issues with MetroNorth, other than it getting crowded at times and having to search for an open seat. Otherwise, they've been great - and inexpensive for what they provide. Also, just a heads up, it's cheaper to buy tickets inside the station than on board.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-14-2013, 09:29 AM
 
346 posts, read 306,170 times
Reputation: 178
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikefromCT View Post
I've never had any issues with MetroNorth, other than it getting crowded at times and having to search for an open seat. Otherwise, they've been great - and inexpensive for what they provide. Also, just a heads up, it's cheaper to buy tickets inside the station than on board.
The only times I've been to the Waterbury station, you couldn't buy tickets inside. It's cheaper to buy them online too, I believe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-14-2013, 09:34 AM
 
Location: Coastal Connecticut
14,714 posts, read 17,933,283 times
Reputation: 3333
Bridgeport or Stamford. Stamford is a risk with traffic, even on weekends. Check live traffic on Google before you leave.

Depends on whether you want to maximize train or driving time.

You could also try parking at a smaller station for free parking, like Fairfield Metro or Westport.

Waterbury is too slow.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-14-2013, 10:50 AM
 
Location: W Hartford, CT
1,785 posts, read 3,441,616 times
Reputation: 1189
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Scorcho View Post
The only times I've been to the Waterbury station, you couldn't buy tickets inside. It's cheaper to buy them online too, I believe.
You can still buy tickets online, but I had read that they were doing away with the online discount. Any idea if they went through with this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top