U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2013, 05:46 PM

26 posts, read 43,672 times

Advertisements

you could look for shared apt with roommates.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2013, 06:54 PM

3 posts, read 5,039 times
Thanks for the responses! Looks like CT is out. Thought it would be cheaper there since it is away from the city a ways, but looks like that's not the case.

Not going to say a roommate is totally off the table, but pretty close to it. I would have to get to know whoever it is first and for a while before I'd even consider it.

One thing I will say is that I'm a bit flexible with where I live and work in the area. I applied for a job in Stamford and did a little reasarch on the area and it seemed nice, didn't get a callback on that one though. I did get a response from one I applied for in Parsippany, NJ, but I think they ended up going with someone local. Couldn't get a whole lot on that area though. Don't know a whole lot about these areas but hope to see as much as I can this April. I am thinking I will probably have to do an NYC commute though because most corporate HQ type jobs are going to be in the city itself.

I'm going to go hit up the Jersey forums and see what's good out that way.

Old 02-15-2013, 10:57 PM

12 posts, read 12,918 times
Hogwash. I'd choose CT over NJ any day of the week! NJ transit is sometimes buggy, and you'll end up taking cabs more often than not because the station closes, yada, yada.

IMO, If you are getting a job in NYC, you'll be able to afford a few more hundred on your rental budget.

Check out Norwalk. Its two towns over from Stamford, at cheaper cost by far. Still along commuter route.

Have a friend that lives at one of the Avalon apts..a studio apt. Its small but nice. Lots of amenities.

Here is a link:
Norwalk Apartments in Fairfield County, CT | Avalon Norwalk

Old 02-16-2013, 03:18 PM

14,754 posts, read 17,990,897 times
Norwalk is a lousy NYC commute with no significant upside for the OP. Avalon is expensive too. Norwalk is really not that much cheaper than Stamford.

OP: lots of corporate HQ jobs in CT. Just to name a few:

Duracell, Bethel
GE, Fairfield
Subway, Milford
Schick, Milford
Diageo, Norwalk
Pepperage Farm, Norwalk
Priceline, Norwalk
BIC, Shelton
Frontier Communications, Stamford
Starwood, Stamford
Charter (soon?), Stamford
UBS, Stamford
WWE, Stamford

The list goes on:

List of Connecticut companies - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 02-16-2013, 11:31 PM

912 posts, read 1,716,695 times
If I were you I would live alone and rent a place in Queens. You could get something nice ear Junction Boulevard express train stop for $950 or $1000
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut