U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2013, 05:29 PM

841 posts, read 1,653,050 times

Advertisements

Many people end up deducting it from their state income tax anyway so I would assume the state is the one who benefits and the districts have to find an alternative.

It's just starting to get ridiculous to live and work in CT...it's time to cut legislator/politician entitlements...freakin absurd the benefits they get...I'm sick of being behind brand news cars with state plates and seeing some pompous asshat driving most likely on their way to the dome to f- us over. Gun regulation is just a convenient distraction from unbalanced budgets, deficits and fiscal cliffs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2013, 06:16 PM

1,787 posts, read 3,445,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TobinJ View Post
It's just starting to get ridiculous to live and work in CT...it's time to cut legislator/politician entitlements...freakin absurd the benefits they get...I'm sick of being behind brand news cars with state plates and seeing some pompous asshat driving most likely on their way to the dome to f- us over. Gun regulation is just a convenient distraction from unbalanced budgets, deficits and fiscal cliffs.
I'm really apalled by alot of the things this administration has done. I agree with you there, but I do think that their views on gun control are genuine.

Old 02-18-2013, 06:33 PM

15,742 posts, read 22,008,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikefromCT View Post
...but I do think that their views on gun control are genuine.
Me too.

Old 02-18-2013, 06:48 PM

1,679 posts, read 2,487,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
Seems like home and commercial property owners will take the biggest hit if this goes through.

CT News Junkie | Municipal Loss Is State’s Gain
Since everyone pays the property tax either directly or indirectly it just seems like it will shift the source of the revenue.

But I realize some towns get more revenue as a percentage from the car tax.

I'm more afraid of the Maloy Budget, it increases spending by 10% more than inflation and makes another tax increase likely.

Basically he's a tax and spend liberal that will die before he cuts a single dollar in spending. He promised a shared sacrifice and he flat out lied. All we have is more spending and more taxes.

Hopefully a republican will win any seat in this state. Not a single one won in 2012 and it shows in this state.

Old 02-18-2013, 08:00 PM

1,787 posts, read 3,445,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hartford_renter View Post
Since everyone pays the property tax either directly or indirectly it just seems like it will shift the source of the revenue.

I'm more afraid of the Maloy Budget, it increases spending by 10% more than inflation and makes another tax increase likely.

Basically he's a tax and spend liberal that will die before he cuts a single dollar in spending. He promised a shared sacrifice and he flat out lied. All we have is more spending and more taxes.

Hopefully a republican will win any seat in this state. Not a single one won in 2012 and it shows in this state.
It's cute how you think Republicans are going to save the day once they come to power. New Jersey tried that with Chris Christie, who got alot of applause for not raising state taxes, as well as bashing teachers and freezing their pensions. The only problem with that is it hasn't helped any - his state's credit rating got downgraded, and last year NJ's unemployment rate shot up to 9.8% - highest level since 1977. I hate to say it, but no matter who's in charge we're going to continue to have problems. The booze cruise has hit the iceburg, and now we're sinking - mostly beacause we've been living beyond our means. And when you suggest to someone that they live WITHIN their means, they act like it's a swipe against their civil liberties and we're violating their freedom. Honestly, the only state I know of that isn't having massive budget problems is Montana, whose governor (Brian Schweitzer) is finishing his term with one of the largest surpluses in state history - and he's a Democrat. Bottom line, in a densely-populated state like ours, NOBODY wants to make concessions or sacrifices. It's always somebody else's problem.

Old 02-18-2013, 09:23 PM

14,730 posts, read 17,960,947 times
Quote:
It seems like some of the burden will be taken off those that live in subsidized housing, but own cars.

The rest of us will have to make up the difference, especially in cities.

Old 02-19-2013, 06:06 AM

3,256 posts, read 4,912,235 times
Quote:

The car tax elimination will hit cities hard. Many cities have numerous rental units that pay far less on a per unit basis in RE taxes than residences. A number of the residents in these units extensively utilize city services. The car tax is one of the few ways to equitably share costs for services. If any car taxes are to be eliminated it should be for those who are already paying RE taxes. This is probably not a feasible solution as it would be difficult to manage.

Old 02-19-2013, 06:12 AM

3,138 posts, read 2,052,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
Seems like home and commercial property owners will take the biggest hit if this goes through.

CT News Junkie | Municipal Loss Is State’s Gain

When will this elimination go in to effect?

Old 02-19-2013, 07:01 AM

2,890 posts, read 2,965,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lincolnian View Post
The car tax elimination will hit cities hard. Many cities have numerous rental units that pay far less on a per unit basis in RE taxes than residences. A number of the residents in these units extensively utilize city services. The car tax is one of the few ways to equitably share costs for services. If any car taxes are to be eliminated it should be for those who are already paying RE taxes. This is probably not a feasible solution as it would be difficult to manage.
Can someone provide a bit more context as to why municipalities do not equalize RE taxes across rentals vs. owner occupied. Essentially this is a incentive to rent and on indirectly basis, build multi-family structures as opposed to SFH. I don't buy the economies of scale concept, particularly since the major cities in CT are already consume a disproportionate share of taxes. This should be revisited.

Old 02-19-2013, 01:01 PM

338 posts, read 450,477 times
This is an interesting proposal. I do wonder if the state would see an increase of new car sales.

Any idea how many residents actually take the mill rate and taxes into consideration when purchasing a new vs. used vehicle? I purposely drive my 2007 sedan and will continue to drive it for another five years because I'm so annoyed by the property tax impact of a new car.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut