U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-20-2013, 11:17 AM

24,615 posts, read 40,185,826 times

Advertisements

I remember years ago there was a "perfect" couple living upstairs from me. They were like Barbie and Ken on the outside but they would have these knockout dragout fights. I would call the police for fear of someone getting hurt and many times it was her that started it. Fortunately they moved to another apartment nearby, still they stayed together.

I also had another couple in a different apartment that did they same thing only she was the one that always started it and would egg him on. He would try to leave but she followed him and definitely pushed his buttons and pushed him until he could not take it anymore. I hate to say it but she deserved it when he pushed back. The would drag him off and she would lie in the apartment moaning. I called the police a number of times because I feared she was seriously hurt (she never was). After the cops left, she would open her window and yell out for people to stop butting into her business. I eventually just stopped calling but did tell the cops that she was the one that started it and the guy was basically innocent. Unfortunately the laws are skewed against the man. Jay
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2013, 12:29 PM

751 posts, read 1,513,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
I remember years ago there was a "perfect" couple living upstairs from me. They were like Barbie and Ken on the outside but they would have these knockout dragout fights. I would call the police for fear of someone getting hurt and many times it was her that started it. Fortunately they moved to another apartment nearby, still they stayed together.

I also had another couple in a different apartment that did they same thing only she was the one that always started it and would egg him on. He would try to leave but she followed him and definitely pushed his buttons and pushed him until he could not take it anymore. I hate to say it but she deserved it when he pushed back. The would drag him off and she would lie in the apartment moaning. I called the police a number of times because I feared she was seriously hurt (she never was). After the cops left, she would open her window and yell out for people to stop butting into her business. I eventually just stopped calling but did tell the cops that she was the one that started it and the guy was basically innocent. Unfortunately the laws are skewed against the man. Jay
Is it the law that is skewed against males, or is it public perception that is skewed against males (or both)?

I don't know enough about legalities, and I realize this is a very sensitive topic, but it is my own opinion that there seems to be a societal bias against males when it comes to domestic violence. Similar perception seems to apply with sexual harrasment and sexual violence problems.

Frankly, males bring it onto themselves since the number of cases caused by the man seem to far outweigh the number of those caused by the woman. (I say "seem" because I do not know of exact statistics). Not to mention, males are often stereotyped with having uncontrollable tempers, aggression, sexual drives, and drug addiction issues. Look at the Oscar Pistorious case; a man allegedly commits murder against a woman. Same with O.J. Simpson; a man allgedly commits murder against a woman.

Historically, the media has always spotlighted on high-profile incidences where it is the man who is commiting a bad deed. Whether it is the actual law itself that's skewed against the man, or if it's simply a matter of interpretation by the lawyers, judges, and jurors, I cannot say for certain. But I can say that the power of the media has introduced at least some sort of bias. Perception is reality.

Note: I am very aware that not all men are angels (as I have met many dirtbags). But I have also met some equally disturbing women. I am also FOR equal rights - regardless of gender or sexual bias. This post was meant to re-emphasize JayCT's point about maintaining an open mind rather than letting gender skew perception.

Old 02-20-2013, 02:36 PM

346 posts, read 306,645 times
I was brought up to never, under any circumstances, hit a woman. And I never will.

Old 02-20-2013, 05:22 PM

8,780 posts, read 16,258,464 times
It appears that each of them are psychopaths.

For those who missed it, he "resigned" from his anchor job.
Abusive newsman Rob Morrison quits WCBS-TV anchor post after arrest for choking wife; source claims marital infidelities led to his 2008 ouster from NBC - NY Daily News

Old 02-21-2013, 04:40 AM

3,720 posts, read 4,443,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Scorcho View Post
I was brought up to never, under any circumstances, hit a woman. And I never will.
And if a woman is "driving" a man to such tendencies he should leave and get a divorce. If both parties of this couple were contributing to the toxicity of the relationship they should have just ended it before getting to this point.

Old 02-21-2013, 04:57 AM

346 posts, read 306,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trishguard View Post
And if a woman is "driving" a man to such tendencies he should leave and get a divorce. If both parties of this couple were contributing to the toxicity of the relationship they should have just ended it before getting to this point.
Exactly.

Old 02-21-2013, 05:00 AM

15,743 posts, read 22,015,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Scorcho View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by trishguard View Post
I agree with both of you. That said, what if she were putting her hands on him, and didn't stop? A person has a right to self defend.

Old 02-21-2013, 07:37 PM

8,780 posts, read 16,258,464 times
What a train wreck of a relationship. I feel bad for their kid.

Darien Police: WCBS anchor Rob Morrison choked wife before | Darien Times

Old 02-21-2013, 08:16 PM

5,239 posts, read 6,520,662 times
Probably both two egomaniacs who's head kept getting in the others way, blocking the mirror. And making buckets of money for being able to read to the camera. Wonder what they do to help anyone else. Maybe someday overpaid TV news people won't be around. Instead they will have robots you choose from to read you the news. Sounds better to me. Guide – Transforming online news into TV.

Ya, no excuse for domestic abuse, and that includes the gal pounding on the guy. Though most of that goes unreported. If he has the wounds, why wasn't she arrested as well?? I'm more interested in reading about the SPCA dog they are teaching to drive a car in New Zealand.

Old 02-21-2013, 09:33 PM

4,787 posts, read 8,771,215 times
What a toxic relationship they have. Although sometimes these personality types seek out and find each other and thrive on the crazy drama. A life often fueled by alcohol as in this case.

Feel sorry for the their child. What a way to grow up. Hope the kid doesn't think this is normal behavior for married couples. That would truly be sad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or