Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-16-2013, 03:57 PM

48 posts, read 127,611 times

Advertisements

First off, thanks in advance! I have a ton of questions, and I'd appreciate any answers you can give.
We are planning on relocating in the next year, and I'm doing lots of research to find the city that would best suit our family. I can google till my fingers go numb, but it's nice to get answers from current residents. New Britian has popped up on my husband's list of possible job locations (for the university). From looking, I'm seeing it might not be the best place to live, so I'm open to living a commutable distance away if we can find a great fit.

-We are in our mid thirties with two elementary school age daughters. We want a city, with lots of family friendly activites (weekend festivals, parks, libraries, etc) where we can go out with kids and not be out of place. What area would fit this?

-He is a professor and I am a registered nurse (considering a return to school for my ARNP). We have narrowed our search based on college programs he is interested in, but how hard are RN jobs to find and what is the pay scale for RNs in the area? Do you know of ARNP programs in the area?

-Currently we don't live in the best school district so our daughters go to a private Montessori school that we adore-its like a family. We've had such a horrible public school experience and amazing private experience, that we are really leaning towards keeping them in a private school (perferable Montessori) when we move, but are considering a public (and the $ savings!) if we can move to a location with excellent public schools. What are the best public schools? Or, do you know of an amazing private school?

-We don't really want to live in a cookie cutter development, but want to live around other families with similar-age kids. We'd like a larger home, trees, decent-sized yard, sidewalks. Access to a pool and park would be great. Proximity to the above mentioned schools, university, hospitals would be a huge bonus. Any neighborhood suggestions?

-Our daughters love gymnastics, volleyball, swimming, and track. We don't want to take their activities away from them if we move, so the availability/affordability of lessons/teams for participation, and also spectator events is big. Are there programs in the area?

-We currently attend a large, liberal to middle-of-the-road, Methodist church with great social, kids, youth, and community activities. Anything like this nearby?

-We love to travel, and will also be moving away from family, so we would like to be within an hour of a good airport. How easy is it to get out of here?

-I'm a girly-girl. I need decent shopping. Sound horrible, but it does factor in to my great place to live. If the local mall consists of a Sears, a Payless, and a Supercuts, I'm not gonna be happy. Are there better department stores, chains, and cute boutiques nearby? Awesome bookstores?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2013, 05:16 PM

4,787 posts, read 11,754,293 times
Look in the town of West Hartford, CT. It's what you're describing.

Nearest airport is Bradley Int'l. Airport. Not far away.

Old 02-16-2013, 07:07 PM

625 posts, read 2,049,615 times
I agree with willow wind, West Hartford has everything you're describing. Walkable neighborhoods, good shopping and restaurants, lots of options for kids in the way of sports and other activities, easy access to New Britain and the highway. Bradley Airport is 25 minutes away. If you wanted to stay in Montessori, West Hartford has that too... Montessori School of Greater Hartford :: Home

Old 02-16-2013, 08:16 PM

21,722 posts, read 28,048,669 times
I'll third those suggestions. You might like Farmington or Avon too.

The only problem with WH is your taxes, but it's offset by how much the town offers.

Old 02-16-2013, 09:37 PM

1,289 posts, read 1,973,706 times
I'll agree with West Hartford as well. I grew up there and went to Renbrook School which is a great private school, but it'll cost you about $20,000 to $30,000 each year per child.

Old 02-18-2013, 08:29 AM

48 posts, read 127,611 times
Thanks so much!

Old 02-18-2013, 12:39 PM

34,914 posts, read 56,893,272 times
I agree West Hartford would be best for you. You will love the West Farms Mall, West Hartford Center and Blue Back Square. Lots of great upscale stores. I am also pretty sure there is a Montessori school in town (or very nearby) but do not know its name offhand. Also I am sure you will be able to find a RN position in the area. There are a lot of hospitals and medical facilities here. I am sure there is a good Methodist church in the area and Bradley Airport is about 30 minutes away. All in all I htink you will like it here. Jay

Old 02-19-2013, 07:52 PM

5,989 posts, read 6,774,520 times
You won't need to pay for private school if you live in WH, but if you want it, there is a Montessori school right in the middle of WH.

Old 02-20-2013, 05:05 AM

101 posts, read 154,438 times
New Britain has beautiful old architecture in parts of the city, which impressed me, but it seemed unfortunately that there needs to be some upkeep needed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut