U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-19-2013, 09:01 PM

2,179 posts, read 5,755,693 times

Advertisements

Got 2 sets st Costco and then another at town fair tire in Brookfield when I had my jeep.
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2013, 06:12 AM

588 posts, read 1,626,585 times
If you are just getting replacement tires, then you can order them online (tire rack and tiresbyweb are pretty reputable) and pay a fee to a local shop to have them mounted and balanced on your existing wheels.

If you are getting winter tires to complement your all-season or summer tires, then buy them online on new wheels - they will handle the mounting, balancing, etc. It will save wear and tear with bringing the tires on and off at the change of seasons, you can use a jack and change em one at a time, and will save you money in the long run. Oh, and if you get studded tires...the season to use these is somewhat limited - mid-november through mid-march, i believe. Don't use them a single day beyond the law or else you'll get a big fat ticket.

Old 02-20-2013, 08:09 AM

751 posts, read 1,509,647 times
I spent A LOT of time late last year researching this exact question. I ultimately ordered from DiscountTireDirect.com, a reputable vendor that is quite comparable to TireRack.com. TireRack was showing as out-of-stock on the exact tires that I wanted, but I found the exact set of tires for the same final price at DTD. Tires were delivered within a few days.

I then had "Burns Tire Exchange" in Stratford (Lordship area) to do the installation. They were cool with having the tires shipped directly to them.

TireRack is VASTLY superior though when it comes to the library of information contained on their website. If you spend some time perusing the website, you will learn a lot about why things like tread patterns, speed ratings, and seasonal categories (e.g. All-Season or Winter-Only) matter. Their customer review database on there is the best resource to see what tires are recommended and what aren't.

Few tips:
  • The prices online are MUCH better than TownFairTire, Costco, et al. Costco comes close but only when they have a sale going on (their Michelin sales can be pretty good).
  • To be fair, TownFairTire and Costco do offer "free value-added" services (e.g. free Winter Changeovers, free Flat repairs, free Rotations, Costco has free Warranty, etc.). These "free value-added" services aren't quite free once you realize that you're paying for them upfront via a higher price tag.
  • Most smaller tire shops do not carry a large volume/selection of tires. It might be hard to find the exact brand, size, class, speed rating, etc. if you care about that stuff.
  • Similarly, most smaller tire shops will only specialize in one or a few brands. Again, this limits your options even if you know that shop does quality work.
  • When you shop online, one vendor might show a lower initial price, but that price creeps up once delivery, taxes, and other fees come into play. It's important to go to the very end of that online shop's checkout page to see the Final-Final price and do your comparison there.
  • If you are an enthusiast and/or OCD about how smooth your ride is, you may want to find a tire shop that has a Hunter RoadForce Balancer (fancy tire balancing computer machine). Hunter's website has a search option that allows you to find local tire shops that have the machine. I mention this because some cars (e.g. my Nissan Maxima) are much more sensitive to imbalanced tires. Note: Burns Tire in Stratford does NOT have a Roadforce machine.
If you need further auto-related recommendations (not limited to tires), I had started a thread not too long ago where many City-Data folks contributed their recommendations. See thread here.

Old 02-20-2013, 08:11 AM

183 posts, read 280,304 times
Thanks Comp625!!

Old 02-20-2013, 12:35 PM

183 posts, read 280,304 times
Any reviews for Hank Mays in Norwalk?

Old 02-20-2013, 02:07 PM

80 posts, read 105,478 times
I would NEVER patronize another Town Fair Tire~ever! That said, check out tiresavings.com slightly better than tire rack and cheaper shipping & NO sales tax. Tire Rack has to charge tax as they have a warehouse presence in CT.
Marc

Old 02-20-2013, 03:30 PM

14,714 posts, read 17,933,283 times
Btw, I've been ecstatic with the Continental ExtremeContact DWS tires as an all-around all season tire. This is one of the first all-season tires I've ever driven on that provides good handling in the dry, wet, and the best snow traction I've experienced short of a winter tire. They also provide nice road feel. My father and girlfriend both have them now.

Old 02-20-2013, 04:13 PM

66 posts, read 130,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
Btw, I've been ecstatic with the Continental ExtremeContact DWS tires as an all-around all season tire. This is one of the first all-season tires I've ever driven on that provides good handling in the dry, wet, and the best snow traction I've experienced short of a winter tire. They also provide nice road feel. My father and girlfriend both have them now.
Agree, if you aren't going to switch to dedicated winter tires, the DWS are hard to beat for most cars.

Old 02-20-2013, 04:19 PM

66 posts, read 130,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Comp625 View Post
I spent A LOT of time late last year researching this exact question. I ultimately ordered from DiscountTireDirect.com, a reputable vendor that is quite comparable to TireRack.com.

TireRack is VASTLY superior though when it comes to the library of information contained on their website. If you spend some time perusing the website, you will learn a lot about why things like tread patterns, speed ratings, and seasonal categories (e.g. All-Season or Winter-Only) matter. Their customer review database on there is the best resource to see what tires are recommended and what aren't.

Few tips:
  • If you are an enthusiast and/or OCD about how smooth your ride is, you may want to find a tire shop that has a Hunter RoadForce Balancer (fancy tire balancing computer machine). Hunter's website has a search option that allows you to find local tire shops that have the machine. I mention this because some cars (e.g. my Nissan Maxima) are much more sensitive to imbalanced tires. Note: Burns Tire in Stratford does NOT have a Roadforce machine.
discount tire has stores in some parts of the country and is quite reputable. their online presence is somewhat a response to tirerack. as you note, tirerack has by far the best info/data available for consumer education. on the site you can also find a link to local shops they partner with to accept delivery of the tires for install. some will have user reviews, and all note the type of mount/balance equipment they use.

I like the RoadForce balance recommendation, but around Fairfield the only tirerack partner installer I found is C&H Automotive in New Canaan, who wants $45/tire for 40-45 series sidwalls. That seems somewhat excessive.

Of course many independent shops will also accept drop-shipped tires if you ask.

Costco, on an all-in basis (including install, rotation, plus the general costco guarantee), can be a reasonable deal, they just have a very limited selection.

Old 02-20-2013, 04:24 PM

8,780 posts, read 16,240,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philbert View Post

I like the RoadForce balance recommendation, but around Fairfield the only tirerack partner installer I found is C&H Automotive in New Canaan, who wants $45/tire for 40-45 series sidwalls. That seems somewhat excessive.
C&H is pricey. I remember noting 2 years ago that their labor charge was $106/hr. I wonder how much it is now?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut