U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2013, 04:31 PM

8,780 posts, read 16,255,941 times

Advertisements

Philbert, i'm seeing Firestone listed as participating: Recommended Installers.

?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2013, 05:29 PM

751 posts, read 1,512,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philbert View Post
Agree, if you aren't going to switch to dedicated winter tires, the DWS are hard to beat for most cars.
I would like to echo Stylo and Philbert's praise of the Continental ExtremeContact DWS. It certainly has grip for all conditions (Dry/Wet/Snow, is what the DWS acronym stands for) and does live up to the hype. It does munch through light snow, but starts to get a little iffy if the snow accumulates beyond 2-3".

Take note that the DWS availability can be scarce, especially before the start of winter. Barely any vendor had them available (except DiscountTireDirect) due to high demand back in October 2012. Even TireRack was out of stock.

If you are a performance nut, you are better off with dedicated summer + dedicated winter tires. I had dedicated summer tires prior to the DWS (Michelin Pilot Super Sport) and various aspects certainly felt more responsive and more fun. The DWS doesn't feel as "fun" with acceleration, corner, "feel for the road," among other performance criteria.

I love my sporty vehicle, but I am by no means a sporty driver. "Spirited" at best. The DWS is all-season and is catered towards drivers like me who still want something very reasonable in the sporty category, but don't want to allocate funds towards the time towards switching tires before/after each winter.

In generalizing the DWS, it is the jack of all trades but master of none.

Old 02-20-2013, 06:00 PM

14,730 posts, read 17,965,128 times
I have Dunlop Winter Sport 3D's on my M3 and they are great. I went out during the blizzard, before there was enough accumulation for my car to become a plow, and I had very little problems getting around. AWD is for people that don't know to drive. (Don't take offense AWD'ers, totally kidding)

Speaking of Michelin Pilot SS's, that's what I decided to get for a summer tire. I had Nitto NT05's on my last performance car, but that was a more dedicated track/weekend car. The SS's will wear much better and seem plenty suited for track duties. Everyone seems to rave about them and they're surprisingly affordable considering the price of Pilot Sports.

Old 02-20-2013, 07:23 PM

66 posts, read 130,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratford, Ct. Resident View Post
Philbert, i'm seeing Firestone listed as participating: Recommended Installers.

?
I must have not scrolled down far enough, or just overlooked it. Their mount/balance price is much better, even if it ends up a bit higher with the "shop fee" of 6%. I'd much rather shops just be upfront with cost per service.

Old 02-20-2013, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
I have Dunlop Winter Sport 3D's on my M3 and they are great. I went out during the blizzard, before there was enough accumulation for my car to become a plow, and I had very little problems getting around. AWD is for people that don't know to drive. (Don't take offense AWD'ers, totally kidding)

Speaking of Michelin Pilot SS's, that's what I decided to get for a summer tire. I had Nitto NT05's on my last performance car, but that was a more dedicated track/weekend car. The SS's will wear much better and seem plenty suited for track duties. Everyone seems to rave about them and they're surprisingly affordable considering the price of Pilot Sports.
I'm intrigued by the new Dunlop Direzza ZII. The Z1 was one of the cult-tires for autocrossers with some semblance of a budget.

One additional option to consider as a true 4-season tire is the Nokian WRG2. Unfortunately it's not as widely sold as the Continental.

Old 02-20-2013, 08:32 PM

14,730 posts, read 17,965,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philbert View Post
I'm intrigued by the new Dunlop Direzza ZII. The Z1 was one of the cult-tires for autocrossers with some semblance of a budget.

One additional option to consider as a true 4-season tire is the Nokian WRG2. Unfortunately it's not as widely sold as the Continental.
I would've gotten the Z1, but sizes were limited so I went with the NT05. In retrospect, the NT05 was excellent for a track/weekend car. I had 3 very long track days on those tires, along with around 7-8 autocross days and they held up beautifully along with over 10,000 street miles. Pretty impressive. The only downside was they were super noisy as they wore. But they gripped really well and took a lot of abuse.

The ZII sounds great, but with a wear rating of 200 vs. the Pilot SS's 300 - I just can't justify it for my daily driver.

Old 02-20-2013, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
I would've gotten the Z1, but sizes were limited so I went with the NT05. In retrospect, the NT05 was excellent for a track/weekend car. I had 3 very long track days on those tires, along with around 7-8 autocross days and they held up beautifully along with over 10,000 street miles. Pretty impressive. The only downside was they were super noisy as they wore. But they gripped really well and took a lot of abuse.

The ZII sounds great, but with a wear rating of 200 vs. the Pilot SS's 300 - I just can't justify it for my daily driver.
Yeah, hard to justify the ZII, or others such as the Bridgestone RE-11 and Yokohama AD08, for a daily driver. Not only the cost and wear, but that last degree of improvement in handling/grip is most likely never going to be experienced on the street. Perhaps counter-intuitively though, this class of tire tends to be the best in the wet.

That said, treadwear rating is not a standardized measurement that can be directly compared between manufacturers. Here's an excerpt from TireRack's explanation:

Tire Tech Information - Uniform Tire Quality Grade (UTQG) Standards
Quote:
Unfortunately, the rating that is of the most interest to consumers is the one that appears to be the least consistent. While the Treadwear Grade was originally intended to be assigned purely scientifically, it has also become a marketing tool used by manufacturers to help position and promote their tires.
The problem with UTQG Treadwear Grades is that they are open to some interpretation on the part of the tire manufacturer because they are assigned after the tire has only experienced a little treadwear as it runs the 7,200 miles. This means that the tire manufacturers need to extrapolate their raw wear data when they are assigning Treadwear Grades, and that their grades can to some extent reflect how conservative or optimistic their marketing department is. Typically, comparing the Treadwear Grades of tire lines within a single brand is somewhat helpful, while attempting to compare the grades between different brands is not as helpful.

Old 02-21-2013, 12:22 PM

774 posts, read 833,140 times
Arrow just a warning

For years I used Town Fair for my tires. As a Yale employee, I got an additional 5% discount and one of their stores is somewhat close to me. However, 2 experiences changed my mind when I recently needed tires.

Several years ago, I noted both front tires were constantly needing air. I went to Town Fair, where I had bought the tires, and was told it would be 3 or 4 hours before they could look at the tires. I was advised to "keep an eye on" the tires. That is what I was doing - which is why I knew they were losing air. I went back several times with the same answer. When I bought the 4 tires, had the front end aligned and so on, it did not take that long. I realize they fix flats for free, so not much motivation to look at the tires. Finally I had a day off, went back to Town Fair and waited for several hours, only to find out both front tires had nails in them. They put plugs in them and no more problems with losing air.

More recently, I went to have the tires rotated and when the person told me my car was ready I was told I had a "stripped stud". I did not even know what that was - the edges of the lug nut were ripped off and it would require a $100+ repair. The tech was quick to say "it wasn't my fault" and that "the tires have been on for a long time" (they had been rotated a few months earlier) and "we've had a lot of rain lately". I asked if the stud was like that when I brought the car in and he said no. No one had changed or rotated the tires since my last visit to Town Fair. Apparently it is not an unusual event because I was referred to a nearby shop "where we always send people with stripped studs". I was told it would be over $100 to repair and I should not wait too long. At any rate, if I had had a flat tire, no one could get the lug nut off so I was not going to leave it like that for long.

I had my local repair shop fix it and called their headquarters, which is in my town and they paid for the repair. Since then, I have paid to have my tires rotated at my local repair shop. And recently when I needed new tires, I bought them there. I will say it was nice of the tech to tell me the stud was stripped, since I would not have seen it with the hub cap on the car and might only have found out if I had a flat tire somewhere.

Old 02-21-2013, 12:26 PM

183 posts, read 280,787 times
Is the Yale 5% discount at all Town Fair Tires? I have a quote from Hank May's in Norwalk...does Town Fair accept competitor coupons and match their prices?

Old 02-21-2013, 12:28 PM

8,780 posts, read 16,255,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rpearlberg View Post
Is the Yale 5% discount at all Town Fair Tires? I have a quote from Hank May's in Norwalk...does Town Fair accept competitor coupons and match their prices?
I think you have enough evidence in this thread that would suggest there are better places than TFT.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut