U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-21-2013, 12:32 PM

183 posts, read 280,590 times

Advertisements

You're right, I do. The only reason I would go to TFT is that it is convenient and has many locations if I ever need to go. Also their prices include the free flat repair and free road hazard.

At this point I'm leaning towards Hank May's, but even if TFT will match I'm not sure it's worth going...
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2013, 12:35 PM

8,780 posts, read 16,251,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rpearlberg View Post
You're right, I do. The only reason I would go to TFT is that it is convenient and has many locations if I ever need to go. Also their prices include the free flat repair and free road hazard.

At this point I'm leaning towards Hank May's, but even if TFT will match I'm not sure it's worth going...
If you go in for that "free" flat repair, you can expect to be last in line for that freebie. Is your time worth that much? Flat repairs aren't expensive.

Also, TFT is closed on Sunday and they don't generally stay open very late during the week so the "convenience" factor isn't really applicable.

Old 02-21-2013, 12:37 PM

Good point! I've gone in before and waited well over two hours for a flat repair...

Has anyone here used Hank May's in Norwalk?

Old 02-21-2013, 12:43 PM

774 posts, read 832,637 times
Quote:
Is the Yale 5% discount at all Town Fair Tires? I have a quote from Hank May's in Norwalk...does Town Fair accept competitor coupons and match their prices?
Not sure, as I am retired now, but I just showed my ID. I am in the New Haven area. They may also give AAA discounts. Recently Firestone here had a special - buy 3 tires get the fourth one free, but I decided to buy from my local shop as they have been good to me, squeezing me in when I had an unexpected problem, not charging when I had a "check engine" light on and so on. Figured it was worth a few extra dollars on the tires.

Good luck.

Old 02-21-2013, 12:55 PM

751 posts, read 1,511,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratford, Ct. Resident View Post
I think you have enough evidence in this thread that would suggest there are better places than TFT.
Lol.

Old 02-22-2013, 12:07 PM

24,597 posts, read 40,159,475 times
We recently needed tires for one of our vehicles. Against my better judgement I was going to go over to Town Fair (I too hate how they push Toyo) becuase I did not have a lot of time to waste but was surprised to find they are closed on Sundays. Went to the local Firestone store and had a great experience. It was fast and convenient and if we ever have a problem, it is right nearby. Jay

Old 02-22-2013, 02:11 PM

14,725 posts, read 17,955,593 times
Quote:
Has anyone here used Hank May's in Norwalk?
Yes, they have been solid for me.

Old 02-22-2013, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
Yes, they have been solid for me.
Thanks, I plan to go there tomorrow. They have the best price I could find on the tire I want.

Old 02-22-2013, 02:14 PM

14,725 posts, read 17,955,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratford, Ct. Resident View Post
If you go in for that "free" flat repair, you can expect to be last in line for that freebie. Is your time worth that much? Flat repairs aren't expensive.
That's like Bob's Discount Furniture's "Goof Proof". Is it worth it to wait on the phone for hours and then go through a convoluted process to MAYBE get your furniture fixed if they see fit?

Nope.

Old 02-25-2013, 12:45 PM

841 posts, read 1,652,748 times
A lot of the things discussed here can be negotiated or are unadvertised benefits when buying at a local tire shop. In trying to find Goodyear mtr Kevlar tires I was told repeatedly they were backordered. Went to a local smaller shop and they were able to get them no problem. Plus rotations, repairs, etc. they even put me in for the better rebate (as if I'd used gy charge) when I should've gotten the regular. TFT, Firestone, etc will not usually negotiate or try to help you...you get their coupons and advertised service but no personal considerations. Its worth it to look around, walk into a local shop.

If you strictly need a "deal" the drop-ship tire rack or BJs are usually better than TFT.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut