U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2013, 09:09 PM

19 posts, read 25,215 times

Advertisements

I would ask the OP to look at the bus schedules first then look at the town that fit.
Farmington Ave is nicer and all, but to an outside, it doesnt look all that nice throughout. in fact it can look sketchy. Knowing the area I know its mostly safe but it is a semi urban area and therefore you get the good and the bad.
walkability and transit are good. the bad thing being the usual ills of urban areas.

While FarmingtonAve might work, Safety in perception and reality might be better served in a different area. you just need to know wher the busses go.

I know that Rocky Hill and Cromwell have large indian populations as well, on the more afluent side. not sure if its a truely accurate statement, but certainly an impression based on the resturant clientelle and the cars in the parking lots. (I love indian food)

Bussed certainly travel up and down Sileas Deane, so if there is a nice apartment complex with a bus stop you should be able to get everywhere.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2014, 11:42 AM

1 posts, read 745 times
Hello,

I'm new to this site and want to know the best place to live for young families with kids 8,10.....will commute to downtown Hartford for work, but want a good family oriented place to live with restaurants, shopping, movie theatre, fitness...etc

Old 01-11-2014, 11:55 AM

4,503 posts, read 4,172,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tracy.gardner View Post
Hello,

I'm new to this site and want to know the best place to live for young families with kids 8,10.....will commute to downtown Hartford for work, but want a good family oriented place to live with restaurants, shopping, movie theatre, fitness...etc
Hi Tracy - Welcome to the forums.

What is your budget? There are many nice suburban towns around Hartford.

Newington & Wethersfield are both very close to Hartford, offer a lot of convenience and have a lot of nice neighborhoods. Most of the homes are smaller ranch-style homes built in the 1950s and 1960s, but usually well maintained, and the neighborhoods will be a mix of everybody from young families to retirees who have downsized, and many in between. The schools in both towns are above average for the state.

Rocky Hill and Cromwell offer many similar neighborhoods like Newington & Wethersfield, but also some newer subdivisions with larger homes that feature mostly professional families. The schools are also above average for the state.

West Hartford offers very good schools, a lot of amenities, but the housing stock is mostly older homes on smallish lots and is more expensive than the four towns I listed above. The taxes are high there as well, but you can't beat WH for convenience to Hartford.

Beyond West Hartford are Farmington, Avon, Simsbury and Canton. They're four upscale suburbs that offer excellent schools and a lot of family friendly neighborhoods full of white collar professionals. Route 44 runs between Canton, Avon and Simsbury and has tons of shopping and restaurants. However, all of these towns are more expensive than the first four I listed, sometimes considerably more.

Maybe somebody else can fill Tracy in about the towns east & north of Hartford, as I didn't realize the time and need to run?

Old 01-12-2014, 10:38 AM

24,570 posts, read 40,120,453 times
As NewJeffCT mentioned, there are many good towns for families around Hartford. A lot will depend on your budget and the type of community you want. The most affluent towns with what are generally considered the best performing schools are West Hartford, Avon, Farmington, Simsbury and Glastonbury. All are great for families but have slight variations on character.

West Hartford is a semi-dense mature suburb. It has one of the nicest downtowns around and the schools are very good. It is considered an affluent town but it has a surprisingly wide range of housing options. It is immediately adjacent to HArtford so your commute will likely be very easy.

Farmington and Glastonbury are medium density suburbs, also with excellent schools. Glastonbury has a larger downtown area though Farmington is home to a portion of the Westfarms Mall, one of the largest malls in the state. Glastonbury though is not far from the Buckland Hills section of Manchester which is one of the largest shopping districts in the state. Commuting into Hartford from both towns is a little harder but I think overall Glastonbury is easier. Getting out of Farmington can be difficult on Route 4 and I-84 west of downtown is the worst approach to Hartford.

Avon and Simsbury are nice semi-rural towns just over a line of small mountain west of Hartford in the Farmington River Valley. Getting over these mountains can be difficult since there is no major highway crossing over them. Still once in the valley there is a sort of Shangri-la feel. The area is stunningly beautiful and there is most shopping needs there. It can be a great place to raise a family.

If more affluent towns are not for you, then the towns NewJeff mentioned, Wethersfield Rocky Hill and Newington may be good. These are more middle class suburbs with a moderate to semi dense density and most shooping needs nearby. Old Wethersfield is wonderfully charming with a lot of old houses but none of these have a significant sized walkable downtown area.

Another town you may want to consider would be South Windsor. It is very suburban to semi-rural in character and is easily accessible to the Buckland Hills shopping area. Jay

Old 01-12-2014, 02:37 PM

4,503 posts, read 4,172,103 times
Not sure what you can do as moderator Jay, but she might want to start her own thread to get more responses?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or