U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2013, 09:12 AM

14,721 posts, read 17,944,963 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetcee View Post
The homes in Norwalk seem to be on top of each other, which I should be used to, but I don't want. But out side of that do you know much about their school system ?
The less expensive neighborhoods are more dense. There are bigger lots in the northern part of town, but no way you're going to get a house there with your budget.

Elementary schools are decent, high schools have some issues - but aren't BAD by any means. I believe McMahon High School is better than Norwalk High School. Trumbull, Stratford, Shelton and Danbury all have better schools. Bridgeport is worse.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2013, 12:41 PM

5,065 posts, read 13,274,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jax12479 View Post
Avoid Norwalk and Bridgeport, the school systems are not good. You'd be better off staying in Brooklyn and trying to get into one of the good schools in Park Slope.

If you can find something decent in Trumbull, I'd look there first - I didn't realize there were single family homes there for under 300k. As others have said, Stratford and Shelton may be worth a look too, but I know people who've moved out of Shelton to avoid the schools...
I agree. We couldn't pull our kids of Norwalk schools fast enough. SO many kids with issues, and the teachers and administration are just overwhelmed by it. I have a friend who is a teacher there, and it has not gotten any better over the years, even at the elementary schools.

Shelton and Stratford are okay, but there are some issues at the high schools for sure. I've also known people to leave Shelton because of the high school. Come to think of it one of my friends who left Shelton is actually from Brooklyn. But everyone is different, the OP might not mind Shelton's schools. They are not bad, just not as good as the schools in the neighboring suburbs. Although Shelton is a city, it has some really pretty neighborhoods.

Old 02-21-2013, 12:56 PM

582 posts, read 1,012,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
C'mon, Shelton schools are perfectly good. Both from a test performance standpoint and anecdotally from people I know that have gone there and sent their kids there.

Also, Park Slope is VERY expensive.
I know Park Slope is expensive, I lived there for years I meant that as a school comparison - no point in leaving Brooklyn for a sub-par suburban school system. I have heard unflattering things about Shelton schools from former residents - but if that's untrue, I'm glad to hear it!

Old 02-21-2013, 01:09 PM

8,780 posts, read 16,246,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andthentherewere3 View Post
I've also known people to leave Shelton because of the high school. Come to think of it one of my friends who left Shelton is actually from Brooklyn. But everyone is different, the OP might not mind Shelton's schools. They are not bad, just not as good as the schools in the neighboring suburbs.
The recent CMT scores for Shelton High were actually quite eye opening. They were much much closer to Trumbull and Monroe's scores than they were to the scores at Milford or Stratford's 2 high schools. Perhaps Shelton is gaining ground?

Old 02-21-2013, 01:12 PM

15,742 posts, read 21,996,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratford, Ct. Resident View Post
The recent CMT scores for Shelton High were actually quite eye opening. They were much much closer to Trumbull and Monroe's scores than they were to the scores at Milford or Stratford's 2 high schools. Perhaps Shelton is gaining ground?
I personally didn't like my neighborhood in Shelton (we ignorantly purchased in the area of Howe Ave), but Shelton, for the most part, is a really nice town.

Old 02-21-2013, 01:18 PM

8,780 posts, read 16,246,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
I personally didn't like my neighborhood in Shelton (we ignorantly purchased in the area of Howe Ave), but Shelton, for the most part, is a really nice town.
It is. And their real estate tax bills appear to be notably lower than surrounding communities. What were you paying on that house? I'm guessing it wasn't much over 3K?

Old 02-21-2013, 01:55 PM

15,742 posts, read 21,996,197 times
Quote:
It is. And their real estate tax bills appear to be notably lower than surrounding communities. What were you paying on that house? I'm guessing it wasn't much over 3K?
IIRC it was about $2500. Pennies compared to what we're paying now. So for the cost, Shelton is a steal.

Old 02-21-2013, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jax12479 View Post
I know Park Slope is expensive, I lived there for years I meant that as a school comparison - no point in leaving Brooklyn for a sub-par suburban school system. I have heard unflattering things about Shelton schools from former residents - but if that's untrue, I'm glad to hear it!
Nothing wrong with them. Some parents just like someone to blame.

Old 02-21-2013, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Almost identical to Monroe's scores, at least at the high school level.

That said, I wouldn't hesitate to send kids to any of these schools. Well, maybe Stratford is borderline. I guess if commute is less important than schools, Shelton and Milford should be prioritized.
Attached Thumbnails
Great safe towns, neighborhoods to live in CT-screen-shot-2013-02-21-3.58.33  

Old 02-21-2013, 01:59 PM

30 posts, read 76,036 times
Many of my neighbors in Shelton commute to the City....I have been VERY happy with schools...Ive lived in Stratford too and think they are leagues above (look at scores). Taxes are very low here...pay the same on my 2200sq ft home as I paid on my 1400 in Stratford. Not much of a "town" feeling as in restaurants and shops on one strip but we usually hop to Milford, New Haven, or Fairfield for that...only a 15-20min drive. Hope this helpsand if you have any questions specific to Strat or Shelton please ask. Like a previous poster noted, I'd say Trumbull might be out...def more $$$$...lower prices arent in the best areas....just my view having grown up there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or