U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-20-2013, 07:58 AM

7 posts, read 29,630 times

Advertisements

Hello all!!
QI am new to this site and need some help, I 've viewed other threads with similar questions but most are years old. I'd like a fresh perspective on the best neighborhoods, for my situation, to live in.

Me and my husband are a young couple, with two children, 6 yrs old, and 9 months from Brooklyn, Ny. We have started looking for our 1st home and decided to move to connecticut. As close to ny as connecticut is neither of us have been there or know much about it, but found beautiful big homes at great prices, something we will not get in Brooklyn, and were not seeing in LI.

From my research so far it seems the farther out we go the better the prices although I have also found decent prices inFairfield county
Here is what we're looking for:

A safe neighborhood where our children can play outside with little worry
Good schools
My husband will be commuting to work, but doesn't mind driving maybe 20-30 min or less to the train station.
We want to be within 11/2 - 2 hrs away from Brooklyn ( hope I'm not asking for too much)
Good price homes for us are 200k -275k
We're young so a town close enough to shopping, entertainment etc ( our close enough is 30 min)

As a New Yorker living in Brooklyn everything is hustle bustle you kind of just go about your business. I have lived in my neighborhood for 6 yrs and have made but one friend. So it's important since i'll be far from family, to find a " perfect" if you will, neighborhood, that is friendly, and some what diverse, and welcoming. So if anyone has any suggestion, of towns or even neighborhoods you live in now, it will be greatly appreciated.

Oh and I am not opposed to old homes needing a little updating.
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2013, 09:00 AM

26 posts, read 43,596 times
I dont think you can find anything in CT with that criteria. Good school towns commutable to NYC are all expensive. The only towns in that price will be far and no good schools like Bridgeport? . If you commute to Brooklyn, why not upper state new york or new jersey

Last edited by Don998; 02-20-2013 at 09:26 AM..

Old 02-20-2013, 09:00 AM

399 posts, read 628,597 times
Hi,
You can definitely find something in Fairfield county in your price range, but you'll be pretty far out from the city and BK like you said. You should check out Milford, it's a really nice town on the water and also on the train line. Trumbell is another option, as are others (those are two towns we're somewhat familiar with - I'm sure Jay and Stylo will have input for you soon). We moved up to Fairfield (town) last year from Brooklyn and visit old friends somewhat often - we can usually make it to Park Slope in under an hour and a half. Milford is about 15-20 minutes past us, so you'd be within your 2 hour distance to most of BK. A word of caution though, if your husband is commuting into the city, it really is a loooooong ride to Fairfield town, and Milford is even farther. It does take quite a bit out of you, but lots of us do it every day. Good luck!

Old 02-20-2013, 09:02 AM

Quick edit - Milford is in New Haven county, not Fairfield County. It's only 15 min past Fairfield though.

Old 02-20-2013, 09:49 AM

582 posts, read 1,012,551 times
Where are you finding homes in Fairfield County for under 275k? You may be able to find some decent homes close to Danbury for approx 300k, but that would be a brutal commute, about 2hrs door to door (unless your husband works next to Grand Central).

Old 02-20-2013, 09:54 AM

15,742 posts, read 21,991,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jax12479 View Post
Where are you finding homes in Fairfield County for under 275k? You may be able to find some decent homes close to Danbury for approx 300k, but that would be a brutal commute, about 2hrs door to door (unless your husband works next to Grand Central).
Shelton/Stratford has homes for $275k and under.

Old 02-20-2013, 11:01 AM

14,718 posts, read 17,938,672 times
Look at Stratford. That will be a brutal commute though. 80 minutes on the train. Milford is nice too, but a few minutes more on the train and a bit more expensive than Stratford. It depends on what you expect for your money.

You could also do Danbury, but it will be an even longer commute.

Lastly, Norwalk is an option and the best commute, but you will only get a very small condo for that price.

Old 02-20-2013, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jax12479 View Post
That exactly where I've found a few, and Norwalk which doesn't seem to be what I'm looking for as well as Oxford and I think Bristol. But they all seem very far. He actually doesn't work too far from GC maybe 15 min. He's thinking he's drive to the nearest train station.

Old 02-20-2013, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesse_f View Post
Hi,
You can definitely find something in Fairfield county in your price range, but you'll be pretty far out from the city and BK like you said. You should check out Milford, it's a really nice town on the water and also on the train line. Trumbell is another option, as are others (those are two towns we're somewhat familiar with - I'm sure Jay and Stylo will have input for you soon). We moved up to Fairfield (town) last year from Brooklyn and visit old friends somewhat often - we can usually make it to Park Slope in under an hour and a half. Milford is about 15-20 minutes past us, so you'd be within your 2 hour distance to most of BK. A word of caution though, if your husband is commuting into the city, it really is a loooooong ride to Fairfield town, and Milford is even farther. It does take quite a bit out of you, but lots of us do it every day. Good luck!
Thanks a lot this was very helpful, especially knowing someone else takes the ride to bk. does Trumbull also have a train station close by?

Old 02-20-2013, 11:30 AM

I think folks in Trumball drive to the Bridgeport station, as Trumball is a few miles inland. My office is in Bryant Park, so a 7 min walk to GC. I live a mile from the Fairfield station, so my door to door is 90 min. From Milford to 15 min from GC, you're talking a solid 2 hours each way every day. That's a lot to chew on, but I'm on the 6am train which is already 80% full by the time I get on so there are plenty of folks doing that commute too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or