U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2013, 06:37 PM

8,780 posts, read 16,248,821 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTbrooktrout View Post
I've been in CT for 27 years and really only the last 2 years have we seen widespread major power outages during some bad times to have an outage such as in winter when it's cold. You should expect hit or miss outages anywhere in the country as you should here. Something that can be fixed in a day or two I think is expected anywhere.

Weather wise we seem to be in a trend of "once in a lifetime storms" happening every few months. As with all trends, this will come to an end eventually and we'll be complaining of drought, not enough rain for crops, and no skiing because it's 70 degrees in January.

All in all I'd say the power outages are just as bad as anywhere else or even better because as I said, in my 27 years, only these past 2 have been bad and are the reason you are asking this question.
You missed Gloria by a year. LOL. That was the longest outage i ever experienced(~5 days).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2013, 06:46 PM

14,722 posts, read 17,950,545 times
Knock on wood, but in all my living situations over the years I've never lost power more than a couple hours. That includes all the recent strange storms. My parents lost power for a week during the Oct snowstorm, but that was a total freak.

Old 02-21-2013, 10:15 PM

857 posts, read 673,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike 75 View Post
I grew up in CT and remember only one power outage of extended duration (Gloria in 86). That being said, we seem to be in the bullseye as of late (my oldest is definitely scarred from power outages). My advice is get a generator. It's piece of mind and makes life that much easier during a difficult time.
Hurricane Gloria was on the last Friday of September 1985. I remember getting that day off from school in Old Orchard Beach, ME. Up there it was "only" a tropical storm. We didn't have a lot of rain, but still had some hellish wind gusts. We lost power for most of that night (no damage to the place I was in, however).

Old 02-24-2013, 09:02 AM

92 posts, read 166,936 times
I've lived in CT for 18 years and for the first 16, we never experienced power outages that lasted for more than a couple of hours, and even then it was a rare occasion usually attributed to a severe thunderstorm or the occasional car vs. utility pole accident. 2011 changed everything though. Starting with hurricane Irene late summer of that year, we lost power for 2 days; two months later we were hit by the October snow storm and had no electricity for 7 days; and most recently hurricane sandy took us off the grid for another 2 days. I'm hopeful that these events were just a very unfortunate fluke, but I must say, I am very thankful that we have a generator. I wouldn't trade it for the world : )

Old 02-24-2013, 10:40 AM

1,044 posts, read 1,291,379 times
I lost power for 12 hours in Irene and 24 hours in the October snowstorm. I did not lose power during Sandy and have never lost otherwise for more than an hour or so in recent years.

Old 02-24-2013, 06:09 PM

13,258 posts, read 34,636,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PuttingDownRoots35 View Post
We are most likely making the move to the West Hartford/Farmington area this summer. However, in light of the recent storms, I would be lying if I said it didnt make me take as step back. Yes, the news dramatizes and the internet can pull the worst of the worst. I keep hearing of 2 week power outages and the such. We live in Denver where the power lines are buried, and have not lost power once in the 5 years we have been here. With small children, it is a big concern. So, I would appreciate any local advice I can get:

Is a generator a must?
How often/how long have you lost power?
Have you been unable to leave do to snow?
Are there areas not as hard hit but the weather?

Thanks all
We don't have a generator and -thankfully- we haven't needed one. We were pretty grumpy during Sandy when we were out for around 5 days, and had to toss everything in the fridge and freezer. But since it wasn't overwhelmingly cold, we were able to make do without heat, and the hot water heater's water stayed warm til it finally ran cold 3 days after the power went out.

Five days during Sandy was the longest I've ever been without power in the 52 years I've existed, except the two months that I went cross-country hiking/bicycling one summer when I was 18 years old. We lived in tents and cooked on wood-fired grills. No plumbing at all - never mind hot water, heh.

We were able to leave our property the Saturday afternoon when the storm ended. But there wasn't any place to GO - since nothing was open, no parking lots had been dug out yet, and no bosses were able to get to their places of business to open the doors.

North Haven got wholloped with around 36 inches, Hamden got around 40. We all managed, no one died from exposure or starvation, no one's cesspool or septic tank blew up, but there were a few cars that had been buried in the snow that the plows broke in an attempt to clear the roads. Those were driven by people who didn't heed the warnings to get off the road HOURS prior to the storm, and drove around in the middle of it and got stuck.

Old 02-24-2013, 10:13 PM

11,036 posts, read 13,376,134 times
Storm Alfred was by FAR the worst power outage causing storm that CT has ever seen in the past 100 years. It occurred around Halloween 2011 and outages lasted for 2+ weeks in some areas. I'll let you in on a little secret though. Those who live in urban or more populated areas have the advantage of getting their power restored sooner than those who live in rural areas.

As measured by time it took to restore power, Alfred was the worst, with restoration times taking up to 12 days in some areas, and Irene and Sandy are tied for just 5 days of restoration time. But I think Irene was slightly worse than Sandy, because it was before all the tree cutting occurred.

Old 02-25-2013, 03:49 AM

2,710 posts, read 2,480,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
Storm Alfred was by FAR the worst power outage causing storm that CT has ever seen in the past 100 years. It occurred around Halloween 2011 and outages lasted for 2+ weeks in some areas. I'll let you in on a little secret though. Those who live in urban or more populated areas have the advantage of getting their power restored sooner than those who live in rural areas.

As measured by time it took to restore power, Alfred was the worst, with restoration times taking up to 12 days in some areas, and Irene and Sandy are tied for just 5 days of restoration time. But I think Irene was slightly worse than Sandy, because it was before all the tree cutting occurred.
Irene and Sandy restoration times were well in excess of 5 days. I was out 6 and 7 days, respectively, and there were plenty of people in my town and across the state who did not get power back for days after I did.

Old 02-25-2013, 04:52 AM

11,036 posts, read 13,376,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike 75 View Post
Irene and Sandy restoration times were well in excess of 5 days. I was out 6 and 7 days, respectively, and there were plenty of people in my town and across the state who did not get power back for days after I did.
Well Alfred still took about double the restoration time of Irene or Sandy, is the point I was trying to make.

Old 02-25-2013, 09:34 AM

419 posts, read 335,596 times
I was without power for more than a week after Irene. I lost power for a couple of days after the October snowstorm, and again for a day and a half after Sandy. Additionally, we have occasional multi-hour outages scattered here and there.

I got a generator, and have used it.

One thing to consider is water. If you are on well water, then no electricity means no water.

Adam
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or