U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-25-2013, 09:37 AM

2,890 posts, read 2,962,977 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
Well Alfred still took about double the restoration time of Irene or Sandy, is the point I was trying to make.
Depends on where you are. Sandy was the longest outage for me as well as being responsible for the most tree and property damage (by a wide margin).
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2013, 09:39 AM

240 posts, read 431,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
Storm Alfred was by FAR the worst power outage causing storm that CT has ever seen in the past 100 years. It occurred around Halloween 2011 and outages lasted for 2+ weeks in some areas. I'll let you in on a little secret though. Those who live in urban or more populated areas have the advantage of getting their power restored sooner than those who live in rural areas.

As measured by time it took to restore power, Alfred was the worst, with restoration times taking up to 12 days in some areas, and Irene and Sandy are tied for just 5 days of restoration time. But I think Irene was slightly worse than Sandy, because it was before all the tree cutting occurred.
I was without power for 10 days after Alfred and I was one of the last to have power restored. I would be surprised to learn that there were large areas that went over 2 weeks without power.

Old 02-25-2013, 09:39 AM

11,030 posts, read 13,366,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilton2ParkAve View Post
Depends on where you are. Sandy was the longest outage for me as well as being responsible for the most tree and property damage (by a wide margin).
I'm talking about overall. Alfred was by far the longest power restoration effort that ever occurred in the state of CT.

Old 02-25-2013, 10:06 AM

2,890 posts, read 2,962,977 times
When you work in NYC, you come to realize what a non-event Snowtober really was. Two weeks after Sandy, 556,000 thousand homes were powerless in NJ, down from a peak of 2.76 million.

Old 02-25-2013, 07:41 PM

5 posts, read 4,905 times
Default Reply

I've lived in Connecticut (about 1/2 hr from where you will move) for thirty years. It was only the last few years that we had power outages of a long duration. I think it's a combination of factors. One is the changing weather - late October freak snowstorms seem to be on the rise. Another factor for the nightmare you may have heard of two years ago, was poor planning on the electric company's part; they have worked hard to prevent such a mishap again - but last year there were still some problems. Going to a motel won't usually help because most motels don't have generators around here. I would not let it stop me from a move, as the long outages are rare, but I would purchase a generator if I were you or a wood stove for a back-up for heat. Two years ago we lost power for 8 days and for 3 days last year. We were lucky in the blizzard we had a few weeks ago - (3 feet of snow - rare) - power stayed on. But temps got into the 0 range the next night so you would have to have heat somehow.
Again, this is all rare, but it does happen.

Old 02-28-2013, 04:39 PM

363 posts, read 290,319 times
Not once do I recall ever losing power in winter in my life. The last time I lost it at all was from Sunday through Wednesday during that Halloween Nor'Easter two falls ago.

Old 03-01-2013, 06:40 PM

4,775 posts, read 7,493,323 times
I have been living in Connecticut for a couple of decades, about to complete my third. The times I remember suffering a bad blackout, even a moderately bad one, I can count them with the fingers of one hand. The number of storms I have experienced in Connecticut has been so many that I've lost count. lol

I think this sums it up.

Old 03-02-2013, 09:16 PM

64,991 posts, read 47,303,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antonio84 View Post
I can count them with the fingers of one hand. The number of storms I have experienced in Connecticut has been so many that I've lost count. lol
haha, your right. I think before like 2009 I was able to remember and count recent storms with my fingers but now I need google. .. or Maybe it's just age. lol

Old 03-05-2013, 12:19 PM

2,643 posts, read 1,882,853 times
We've done okay with the power outages. The surprise October snow storm didn't knock out my power, but CL&P cut it the next day and didn't restore until four days later. I don't expect anything like that again because after the power company's well deserved beating, they have done a lot of preventative work and seem more organized.

Old 07-26-2014, 02:18 PM

64,991 posts, read 47,303,288 times
Instead of starting a new thread I figure I post this here...

I won't get into the why's or the possibilities but IF the pattern we have on hand (which has been same last 7 months) continues, there's no doubt we will have another and maybe worse winter. But I've seen patterns change fast so there's plenty of time for a flip.

These guys are saying New England could experience brown outs this winter.

So are you prepared if so?

Get Ready for the New England Power Shortage | The American Spectator
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or