Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2014, 02:35 PM

691 posts, read 1,150,117 times

Advertisements

..and what efforts have been made by CL&P to begin to modernize our infrastructure?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
Instead of starting a new thread I figure I post this here...

I won't get into the why's or the possibilities but IF the pattern we have on hand (which has been same last 7 months) continues, there's no doubt we will have another and maybe worse winter. But I've seen patterns change fast so there's plenty of time for a flip.

These guys are saying New England could experience brown outs this winter.

So are you prepared if so?

Get Ready for the New England Power Shortage | The American Spectator
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2014, 03:27 PM

2,918 posts, read 3,230,026 times
I've been living in CT for 19 years. I'm in northern Fairfield County, and for me the worst (by FAR) was the early/freak October snowstorm. I never saw as many trees down in this area as I did then. EVER. We were without electricity for 1 week, I think (funny how now I can't remember exactly how long it was, because at the time I thought I would never (ever) forget. But alas I have... I say 1 week because I do know we just missed the window for the CL&P reimbursement -- I remember if you were still without power by noon on such-and-such date, you would get a $100 credit from CL&P. Our power came back on at 10:00 a.m. on that day. So we missed getting the credit by 2 hours.
Prior to that storm though, I think the longest we ever went without electric was about 1.5 to 2 days max (two days following the remnants of hurricane Irene, which I think was earlier that same year as the October storm.) Usually though it would only be for up to a few hours - until 2011, that is. After the October storm, we had one other extended outage, and that was following Sandy. That one lasted 4 days. Knock wood, we haven't lost power since. Fingers crossed that they're wrong about the predicted brown outs, though I'm sure they're not. Very glad we have a generator -- I wouldn't trade it for the world

Last edited by Lalalally; 07-26-2014 at 04:25 PM..

Old 07-26-2014, 03:45 PM

3,350 posts, read 4,167,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pulpfiction View Post
..and what efforts have been made by CL&P to begin to modernize our infrastructure?
Lots of tree trimming and some new poles/rewiring. Upgraded transformers. I have a little more faith since there were no power outages for the blizzard in Feb 2013. 20-40" with wind and no issues.

Old 07-26-2014, 03:48 PM

21,618 posts, read 31,197,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilton2ParkAve View Post
Lots of tree trimming and some new poles/rewiring. Upgraded transformers. I have a little more faith since there were no power outages for the blizzard in Feb 2013. 20-40" with wind and no issues.
The difference with the '13 storm, and someone correct me if I'm wrong, is the snow was fluffy vs heavy, and there weren't leaves on the trees to weigh down branches.

Old 07-26-2014, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilton2ParkAve View Post
We had 40" of snow last year? Why do I not remember this??!! I must be getting old - LOL!!!

Old 07-26-2014, 04:00 PM

21,618 posts, read 31,197,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalalally View Post
We had 40" of snow last year? Why do I not remember this??!! I must be getting old - LOL!!!
The New Haven area down to about Milford had 40" in the Feb. '13 blizzard. I don't believe the Danbury area got as much.

Old 07-26-2014, 04:20 PM

83,513 posts, read 75,277,900 times
There's a lot of interesting things in that article, hard to pick and choose.

First of all, we don't get power outages with snowstorms in the winter UNLESS its heavy wet snow or a blizzard with whipping winds.

Second of all ... I believe they (the article) is talking about demand for it rather then local storm issues. I do remember last winter states were running out of Nat Gas.

However.. how does winter affect the grid more than summer would? Electric Baseboard heat? Furnaces don't use much even if they are on non stop. So what drives the demand for electric that we have to expect brown outs??

If I'm reading right... our capacity and load is not enough to support the population now?

Some tid bits..

"Last week the governors of the six New England states met in an emergency session at Bretton Woods, New Hampshire, to discuss what to do about the pending crisis. Significantly, they asked the premiers of five of Canada’s provinces to attend. That makes sense because if the region is going to get electricity from anywhere it is probably going to be from north of the border."

"New England is now limping along with 33,000 megawatts of electrical capacity, which barely meets its needs. At one auction last winter, the New England Independent Systems Operator, which manages the grid, came up 145 megawatts short — an almost unheard of occurrence. Yet in the next two years the region will be closing down 1/10[SIZE=2]th of its capacity in a bid to rid itself of anything that does not win favor with environmentalists"[/SIZE]

"Last winter, when record low temperatures hit, there just wasn’t enough gas to go around"

Old 07-26-2014, 04:20 PM

Ok, yes. Your mention of Milford jogged my memory -- I do remember they did get slammed with snow. But I think that same storm in the Danbury/New Fairfield area was a non-event in comparison -- maybe like 17" -- 18" max. Big, but not historic. Now the Christmas 2002 (?) storm -- that one I remember!

Old 07-26-2014, 04:21 PM

83,513 posts, read 75,277,900 times
Since it was brought up... As far as snowfall total in that 2013 Blizzard Here's the final snow total map using all reports from the state NWS, Co-op, personal.

Use the 30-40" area as close to 30" mostly with some local areas getting upper 30s.
http://www.wxedge.com/articles/20130...ruary_8-9_2013

http://www.ncdc.noaa.gov/news/evalua...snowfall-index

It wasn't fluffy....it wasn't heavy. Normal weight snow for the area.. 11:1 ratios
(BDR 30 inches of snow melted to 2.60" liquid)

Old 07-26-2014, 04:31 PM

Thanks for posting this Cam. So I was not too far off on the guesstimate for my area It always amazes me that for such a small state, we all experience (vastly) different weather!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut