U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 02-22-2013, 08:35 AM
 
Location: Wallingford, CT
1,063 posts, read 1,051,328 times
Reputation: 1218

Advertisements

I like Wallingford, but I'm a little biased since I live here.

But never losing power in a storm in the past two crazy years, weather-wise, and having a $40-60 electric bill is the best thing ever.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-22-2013, 08:46 AM
 
Location: New Mexico --> Vermont in 2019
9,064 posts, read 17,408,515 times
Reputation: 11325
I like New London. It’s a quintessential small seaside New England city that’s fairly eclectic with a very historic feel and nice architecture with a good amount of grit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-22-2013, 08:47 AM
 
2,893 posts, read 2,979,236 times
Reputation: 1424
Quote:
Originally Posted by mels View Post
Disagree. Milford is in no way blue collar compared to your valley towns (Derby, Naugatuck), East Haven, etc. It is more affordable than most Fairfield County towns? Absolutely. There are pockets of "blue collar" in Milford but it is too economically diverse to paint the whole city with such a broad brush.
See I would consider the valley towns to be below blue collar with elevated poverty rates. Milford is gentrifying to a more upscale community as professionals priced out of the Gold Coast move North/East. However the core of Milford is blue collar. Incomes and school test scores are basically at state median. Manufacturing still has a fairly sizable presence in town. While there are pockets of wealth north and along the shore, Milford does also have a huge truck stop and a Cracker Barrel. Not exactly scientific, but still contributes to the image.

East Haven is also a good nominee.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-22-2013, 09:00 AM
 
5,065 posts, read 13,321,886 times
Reputation: 3507
Quote:
Originally Posted by mels View Post
Disagree. Milford is in no way blue collar compared to your valley towns (Derby, Naugatuck), East Haven, etc. It is more affordable than most Fairfield County towns? Absolutely. There are pockets of "blue collar" in Milford but it is too economically diverse to paint the whole city with such a broad brush.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilton2ParkAve View Post
See I would consider the valley towns to be below blue collar with elevated poverty rates. Milford is gentrifying to a more upscale community as professionals priced out of the Gold Coast move North/East. However the core of Milford is blue collar. Incomes and school test scores are basically at state median. Manufacturing still has a fairly sizable presence in town. While there are pockets of wealth north and along the shore, Milford does also have a huge truck stop and a Cracker Barrel. Not exactly scientific, but still contributes to the image.

East Haven is also a good nominee.
I've always gotten a blue collar feel to most of Milford, and moreso in most of the valley towns. I wouldn't really compare Milford to FFC though, as Milford is in NHC.

I did live in lower FFC for many years, and I think that tends to influence people on how they perceive much of NHC. It's like another world down there. I know people in lower FFC who think Trumbull and Fairfield are blue collar!

Editing to say that the OP was asking about towns, but Milford is a city with over 50k people.

Last edited by andthentherewere3; 02-22-2013 at 09:11 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-22-2013, 09:18 AM
 
Location: Coastal Northeast
15,798 posts, read 22,097,587 times
Reputation: 5299
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilton2ParkAve View Post
See I would consider the valley towns to be below blue collar with elevated poverty rates. Milford is gentrifying to a more upscale community as professionals priced out of the Gold Coast move North/East. However the core of Milford is blue collar. Incomes and school test scores are basically at state median. Manufacturing still has a fairly sizable presence in town. While there are pockets of wealth north and along the shore, Milford does also have a huge truck stop and a Cracker Barrel. Not exactly scientific, but still contributes to the image.

East Haven is also a good nominee.
It's funny that people group "valley towns" into one, when one of them has a higher income than many towns in FFC.

As for poverty and HH incomes, the state average is 10.9% and $65,353 respectively.
  • Ansonia: 7.6% with a HH income of $55,271
  • Beacon Falls: $4.2% with a HH income of $76,620
  • Derby: 8.3% with a HH income of $55,475
  • Naugatuck: 8.4% with a HH income of $60,368
  • Oxford: 2.1% with a HH income of $111,122 (income higher than Trumbull, Brookfield, Monroe, Orange and Bethel)
  • Seymour: 3.7% with a HH income of $75,482
  • Shelton: 3.2% with a HH income of $83,128
These are not "elevated" poverty rates as all are lower than the state average and many cities in FFC. In fact, some of the poverty rates are lower than Wilton's, which is 4.7%!

My point? The valley is, statistically, far from being "below blue collar". Most of the towns are actually above blue collar, one being solidly white collar. The stereotype of that area being a cluster of poor manufacturing towns is laughable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by andthentherewere3 View Post
I did live in lower FFC for many years, and I think that tends to influence people on how they perceive much of NHC. It's like another world down there. I know people in lower FFC who think Trumbull and Fairfield are blue collar!
Absolutely. I lived there, too, and the fact that it's arguably the wealthiest area in the country definitely skews one's perception of reality.

That said, I would never consider Milford a blue collar community.

Last edited by kidyankee764; 02-22-2013 at 09:35 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-22-2013, 09:24 AM
 
Location: Coastal Connecticut
14,819 posts, read 18,071,090 times
Reputation: 3383
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilton2ParkAve View Post
See I would consider the valley towns to be below blue collar with elevated poverty rates. Milford is gentrifying to a more upscale community as professionals priced out of the Gold Coast move North/East. However the core of Milford is blue collar. Incomes and school test scores are basically at state median. Manufacturing still has a fairly sizable presence in town. While there are pockets of wealth north and along the shore, Milford does also have a huge truck stop and a Cracker Barrel. Not exactly scientific, but still contributes to the image.

East Haven is also a good nominee.
Elevated poverty rates? Derby/Ansonia have their issues - but I wouldn't say they're "below blue collar" as an average.

Milford HHI is $75,926, CT average is $65,753. Median home value is $310,893 ($358,346 for SFH), CT average is $291,200 (compared to East Haven at $241,587). Both high school perform above the state average in CAPT. Foran a decent margin above. And that's no surprise given Law serves Devon (the decidedly blue collar area of town). It is not Wilton's scores, that's for sure, and it's certainly quite a lot "poorer". But if you compare it to the rest of the state, it's harder to classify. And I don't know if I'd say the core of Milford is blue collar, I think the core of Milford is middle-income with a mix of blue collar and white collar. Most of the homes in my neighborhood are $300k+ and it's a pretty average neighborhood in Milford. If Devon was its own town, it would be a stretch to call Milford blue collar at all.

RE: the truck stop, it's been there forever. It's a service to 95, not to the town. Most residents don't go near it unless they need access to the exit 40 onramp. And nothing wrong with Cracker Barrel (again, opened to service 95 travelers, not residents).

Many of the aforementioned towns in this thread: East Haven, Clinton, Ansonia. That's blue collar. Not poverty stricken.

I'll also say I'm not one to consider blue collar a stigma. I actually prefer their company in many cases.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-22-2013, 09:29 AM
 
Location: Coastal Northeast
15,798 posts, read 22,097,587 times
Reputation: 5299
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
Many of the aforementioned towns in this thread: East Haven, Clinton, Ansonia. That's blue collar. Not poverty stricken.
Yes, exactly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-22-2013, 09:31 AM
 
3,161 posts, read 7,909,326 times
Reputation: 2379
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
Absolutely. I lived there, too, and the fact that it's arguably the wealthiest area in the country definitely skews one's perception of reality.

That said, I would never consider Milford a blue collar community.
Agreed on all counts. It is easy to stay in the bubble that is Fairfield County, it shelters you from the rest of Connecticut (I also used to live in Ffld. County). To someone who lives and plays in Wilton, perhaps Milford appears to be blue collar. In reality, all signs point to "no", as illustrated above by Stylo and others.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-22-2013, 09:32 AM
 
Location: Coastal Connecticut
14,819 posts, read 18,071,090 times
Reputation: 3383
Thanks for those stats kid, poverty is definitely not an issue in the valley towns. Most of the stigma I hear about them comes from FFC residents. It's all relative perception.

Many residents in rural eastern CT would probably consider Seymour to be pretty fancy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-22-2013, 09:37 AM
 
2,893 posts, read 2,979,236 times
Reputation: 1424
I come up with different figures for both poverty rates and income for the state and all towns listed below. State HH income is above $70,000. 9.2% poverty rate for the state overall (ACS 2010). Manufacturing employment int he valley towns and Milford is still quite high.

I also don't view Oxford as a valley town.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
It's funny that people group "valley towns" into one, when one of them has a higher income than many towns in FFC.


As for poverty and HH incomes, the state average is 10.9% and $65,353 respectively.
  • Ansonia: 7.6% with a HH income of $55,271
  • Beacon Falls: $4.2% with a HH income of $76,620
  • Derby: 8.3% with a HH income of $55,475
  • Naugatuck: 8.4% with a HH income of $60,368
  • Oxford: 2.1% with a HH income of $111,122 (income higher than Trumbull, Brookfield, Monroe, Orange and Bethel)
  • Seymour: 3.7% with a HH income of $75,482
  • Shelton: 3.2% with a HH income of $83,128
These are not "elevated" poverty rates as all are lower than the state average and many cities in FFC.

My point? The valley is, statistically, far from being "below blue collar". Most of the towns are actually above blue collar, one being solidly white collar. The stereotype of that area being a cluster of poor manufacturing towns is laughable.



Absolutely. I lived there, too, and the fact that it's arguably the wealthiest area in the country definitely skews one's perception of reality.

That said, I would never consider Milford a blue collar community.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top