U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2013, 12:22 PM

2,890 posts, read 2,966,779 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
I would just assume the "longest coastline" claim is direct-facing Long Island frontage. In that case, it is 14 miles, the longest direct waterfront in CT - which is the number quoted in the NY Times and some bumper stickers I've seen.
That's a stretch- basically air miles! The line I drew yesterday was direct waterfront.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2013, 01:09 PM

2,717 posts, read 2,484,744 times
Eastern CT is more blue collar than the Valley? Really? I tend to think of Eastern CT as rural more than anything else, but I'll admit I haven't spent a ton of time in that part of the state.

Old 02-23-2013, 01:13 PM

15,743 posts, read 22,020,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike 75 View Post
Eastern CT is more blue collar than the Valley? Really? I tend to think of Eastern CT as rural more than anything else, but I'll admit I haven't spent a ton of time in that part of the state.
As noted earlier in this thread, much of "The Valley" has above average incomes and much lower than average poverty rates. Ansonia and Derby being the exceptions - but these two are more "Bridgeport-North" than hardworking blue collar.

Old 02-23-2013, 01:26 PM

11,038 posts, read 13,393,573 times
IMO the most blue collar town in the entire state is Putnam.

Old 02-23-2013, 02:29 PM

2,717 posts, read 2,484,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
As noted earlier in this thread, much of "The Valley" has above average incomes and much lower than average poverty rates. Ansonia and Derby being the exceptions - but these two are more "Bridgeport-North" than hardworking blue collar.
Quote:
I'd say a good blue collar town is East Haven. Also Ansonia and Derby.
I'm confused.

Old 02-23-2013, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike 75 View Post
I'm confused.
See below:

Quote:
I'd say a good blue collar town is East Haven. Also Ansonia and Derby.
Quote:
As noted earlier in this thread, much of "The Valley" has above average incomes and much lower than average poverty rates. Ansonia and Derby being the exceptions...

Old 02-23-2013, 07:11 PM

420 posts, read 1,003,492 times
What large Connecticut town (besides Greenwich) ISN'T blue collar? I've seen some homes in Bristol/Enfield/Manchester that would rival the largest in any well-to-do Connecticut suburb. It's hard to label an entire town as blue-collar. But if I had to stretch, I'd suggest Norwich, Plainfield, Putnam, Killingly, Ledyard, Montville, Groton, Torrington, Thomaston, Seymour, Beacon Falls, Naugatuck and East Haven. Obviously, most of these towns have pockets of wealth. I'd vote Groton or Ledyard as my favorite "blue-collar" town!

Old 02-26-2013, 07:37 AM

170 posts, read 157,687 times
Hard hitting new Britain and yes there ar many safe areas s I have lived here all my life no crime in my area

Old 03-05-2013, 06:04 AM

2,643 posts, read 1,886,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilton2ParkAve View Post
h.

I also don't view Oxford as a valley town.
Ohhhh...it's a Valley town. Having grown up in the Valley, I could tell you that the towns most Valley residents don't associate with "the Valley" are Beacon Falls and Naugatuck. Of course they are part of it but there was always a disconnect. Oxford tuitioned most of their kids to Seymour HS for years so that relationship always existed. Ansonia, Derby and Shelton have always had a close connection too. Many kids from those towns knew each other while BF and Naugatuck were very far away as far as we were concerned.

Old 03-05-2013, 06:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMSS View Post
Ohhhh...it's a Valley town. Having grown up in the Valley, I could tell you that the towns most Valley residents don't associate with "the Valley" are Beacon Falls and Naugatuck.
I agree with you that Oxford is part of the Valley, but the vast majority of its residents will deny it until they're blue in the face that Oxford is associated in any way with the Valley - especially the noveau riche that moved into the town. Naugatuck and Beacon Falls fall more in line (socially, demographically, and politically) with what "The Valley" is. Recently, Oxford associates more with the Southbury/Danbury area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMSS View Post
Oxford tuitioned most of their kids to Seymour HS for years so that relationship always existed. Ansonia, Derby and Shelton have always had a close connection too. Many kids from those towns knew each other while BF and Naugatuck were very far away as far as we were concerned.
No. Oxford only tuitioned about 25% of their students to Seymour, and 25% attended Masuk in Monroe (depending on where in town they lived). During this time, a staggering 50% of students in town went to private schools. The final 5 years of tuitioning, Oxford tuitioned all of its students to Monroe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut