U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2013, 06:57 AM

2,890 posts, read 2,966,078 times

Advertisements

What is this tuitioning you speak out? Did Oxford not have a school district for a period of time?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2013, 07:05 AM

2,643 posts, read 1,885,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
I agree with you that Oxford is part of the Valley, but the vast majority of its residents will deny it until they're blue in the face that Oxford is associated in any way with the Valley - especially the noveau riche that moved into the town. Naugatuck and Beacon Falls fall more in line (socially, demographically, and politically) with what "The Valley" is. Recently, Oxford associates more with the Southbury/Danbury area.

No. Oxford only tuitioned about 25% of their students to Seymour, and 25% attended Masuk in Monroe (depending on where in town they lived). During this time, a staggering 50% of students in town went to private schools. The final 5 years of tuitioning, Oxford tuitioned all of its students to Monroe.
I'm talking before Masuk was available which was only about ten years ago. I grew up thinking Oxford and Seymour were already regionalized. But yes, it was amusing during the regionalization/high school fight to watch many of those residents in denial. My own friends who had gone to Seymour HS couldn't take it much longer. They all wanted Oxford to build their own high school, but got tired of hearing how "ill educated" they were at Seymour.

Old 03-05-2013, 07:06 AM

15,743 posts, read 22,011,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilton2ParkAve View Post
What is this tuitioning you speak out? Did Oxford not have a school district for a period of time?
They have always been the Oxford School District but were too small to have their own high school (they had a middle and I think 2 elementary). A referendum went up years ago to regionalize with Southbury - both towns turned it down. Then a referendum went up to regionalize with Seymour, and Oxford turned it down while Seymour approved. So that didn't happen. So while they figured out what to do, they tuitioned high school kids to schools in neigboring towns for about 10 years (Monroe, Seymour, Southbury for one year). As the town grew with former Westchesterites and lower FFC-ers, the support was there for a high school among other things. Thanks to people who moved from those areas, the town is now pretty desirable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMSS View Post
I'm talking before Masuk was available which was only about ten years ago. I grew up thinking Oxford and Seymour were already regionalized. But yes, it was amusing during the regionalization/high school fight to watch many of those residents in denial. My own friends who had gone to Seymour HS couldn't take it much longer. They all wanted Oxford to build their own high school, but got tired of hearing how "ill educated" they were at Seymour.
There was definitely a snob factor during the whole thing - but that being said, Seymour's test scores were far better than Monroe's, so I can't blame Oxford for wanting to tuition out to Monroe over Seymour. Still, even with Monroe, I remember reading that a large chunk of Oxford HS students went private.

Old 03-05-2013, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Until the early/mid 90s, most Oxford students went to Seymour HS…or they went private. For some people, there was a stigma to Seymour HS so they refused to send their kids there. During the push for high school regionalization - which several Seymour and Oxford residents thought would be ideal because Oxford would actually have a say (bring in more educated newcomers to combat the same old people running Seymour and not have to deal with year-to-year wondering whether to factor in Oxford) - a small group of Oxford parents whose kids went to private schools said no way to Seymour because comparatively their test scores were lower than other areas. They compared the scores to Washington, Roxbury, Woodbury, etc. which was rather misleading since those are wealthy towns and Seymour was blue collar (which was ironic to my husband who grew up blue collar in Oxford). After a few failed referendums on Oxford getting a high school, Seymour's contract running out, and Seymour getting annoyed at being scapegoated and demeaned as a means for Oxford to get a high school - the BOE worked out a tuition situation with Masuk…which satisfied those who pretended they were part of Fairfield county. Eventually, the high school came through. I don't remember the exact timing or if Masuk only had a short time available…but Wolcott was the only other system that said they'd accept Oxford students. For some reason, Regions 16, 15, 14, Masuk, and….Wolcott were okay for Oxford students. But the one they had gone to for years wasn't.

Oxford always had an elementary school and middle school, but at the time there were not enough residents to run a decent high school. Although they have a very good high school now, some residents still feel the numbers are too low.

Old 03-05-2013, 07:23 AM

Quote:
They have always been the Oxford School District but were too small to have their own high school (they had a middle and I think 2 elementary). A referendum went up years ago to regionalize with Southbury - both towns turned it down. Then a referendum went up to regionalize with Seymour, and Oxford turned it down while Seymour approved. So that didn't happen. So while they figured out what to do, they tuitioned high school kids to schools in neigboring towns for about 10 years (Monroe, Seymour, Southbury for one year). As the town grew with former Westchesterites and lower FFC-ers, the support was there for a high school among other things. Thanks to people who moved from those areas, the town is now pretty desirable.

There was definitely a snob factor during the whole thing - but that being said, Seymour's test scores were far better than Monroe's, so I can't blame Oxford for wanting to tuition out to Monroe over Seymour. Still, even with Monroe, I remember reading that a large chunk of Oxford HS students went private.
I thought you were in agreement with me that test scores don't necessarily reflect the quality of a school. My sister went Ivy League out of Seymour as did many other kids. Those Oxford kids that went to Holy Cross got into the same colleges I did. It's not so much the school as it is the kid and the parents. Yes, I think Seymour could have offered more at the time…which is why I like the idea of Oxford coming on board as Seymour was becoming more desirable for ex-Ffld county residents.

Old 03-05-2013, 07:40 AM

Quote:
I thought you were in agreement with me that test scores don't necessarily reflect the quality of a school. My sister went Ivy League out of Seymour as did many other kids. Those Oxford kids that went to Holy Cross got into the same colleges I did. It's not so much the school as it is the kid and the parents. Yes, I think Seymour could have offered more at the time…which is why I like the idea of Oxford coming on board as Seymour was becoming more desirable for ex-Ffld county residents.
My point was this: would you rather send your kids to a school with very good test scores, or test scores that are below the state average? I know where I would rather send mine, even if it doesn't tell the whole story.

In hindsight it's probably a good thing that Oxford/Seymour didn't regionalize. The two towns are very different in almost every way. Oxford's 2013 HH income is almost double that of Seymour's.

Old 03-05-2013, 07:58 AM

Quote:
My point was this: would you rather send your kids to a school with very good test scores, or test scores that are below the state average? I know where I would rather send mine, even if it doesn't tell the whole story.

In hindsight it's probably a good thing that Oxford/Seymour didn't regionalize. The two towns are very different in almost every way. Oxford's 2013 HH income is almost double that of Seymour's.
I'm one of those weird people that would put my kid in West Hill HS before I put them in Darien. They both offer superb educations. But I like my kids to have a little more realistic view of the world (and less materialistic expectations) and I like a big school - if one clique is annoying you, you probably won't have to deal with that one group most of the day.

As for the income disparity and the "difference" between Seymour and Oxford, it existed then albeit among far less kids. Given that a good chunk of Oxford grew up in Seymour, I don't see it as that big a deal.

Old 03-05-2013, 08:04 AM

2,890 posts, read 2,966,078 times
Quote:
I'm one of those weird people that would put my kid in West Hill HS before I put them in Darien. They both offer superb educations. But I like my kids to have a little more realistic view of the world (and less materialistic expectations) and I like a big school - if one clique is annoying you, you probably won't have to deal with that one group most of the day.

As for the income disparity and the "difference" between Seymour and Oxford, it existed then albeit among far less kids. Given that a good chunk of Oxford grew up in Seymour, I don't see it as that big a deal.
A lot of folks claim this, but I find the reality to not align. Obama praises public schools, even in urban areas, but then enrolls his children at the prestigious (private) Sidwell friends. This view is pervasive, particularly among urban liberals. The evidence not so much.

Old 03-05-2013, 08:12 AM

Quote:
A lot of folks claim this, but I find the reality to not align. Obama praises public schools, even in urban areas, but then enrolls his children at the prestigious (private) Sidwell friends. This view is pervasive, particularly among urban liberals. The evidence not so much.
Obama always had his kids in private schools, so I don't think much about what he does with his own kids' educations. But there are a lot more wealthy kids than you think in public city schools in Stamford and Norwalk (Stratford also to a lesser extent).

Old 03-05-2013, 08:17 AM

Quote:

The income disparity between the two communities was not always as great as it is today. Not even close. Oxford used to be fairly middle class. Now it is an affluent suburb that has a higher HH income than towns like Orange, Monroe and Trumbull, according to the newest numbers published.

My issue with lower performing schools is the stat that, since education begins in the home, your kids will be surrounded by fellow students who come from a family that is not pro-education.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut