U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2013, 10:03 PM

1 posts, read 1,153 times

Advertisements

Can the unemployment find out if you are suppose to receive severence?

If tou tell Umeployment that you haven't received your severence and
apply for unemployment will the amount of your unemployment be
calculated at a lower amount?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2013, 10:38 PM

11,034 posts, read 13,371,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twizzy17 View Post
Can the unemployment find out if you are suppose to receive severence?

If tou tell Umeployment that you haven't received your severence and
apply for unemployment will the amount of your unemployment be
calculated at a lower amount?
In 2009, I was laid off and received a huge severance package of $16,000. I was also able to receive unemployment at the absolute highest possible amount that the state of CT offered, each week, which was $560 pre-tax. This allowed me to do some amazing things that make people jealous, such as paying off my new car and eventually, travel the country for 6 weeks with no job. So yes, you CAN collect unemployment simultaneously and legally with receiving severance. The state considers severance to be a "gift" and has no bearing on your eligibility to receive unemployment insurance.

The unemployment benefits in CT are very generous, thanks to the liberal politics. But you should collect with no shame, because you were a taxpayer who paid into the government and are now entitled to receive.

Happy collecting!!

Old 02-24-2013, 05:19 AM

1,930 posts, read 3,173,790 times
[quote=nep321;28391253]In 2009,. This allowed me to do some amazing things that make people jealous, such as paying off my new car and eventually, travel the country for 6 weeks with no job. So yes, you CAN collect unemployment simultaneously and legally with receiving severance. [
/QUOTE]

Last edited by JayCT; 02-25-2013 at 10:11 AM.. Reason: Removed off topic comment

Old 02-24-2013, 07:05 AM

1,063 posts, read 1,046,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
In 2009, I was laid off and received a huge severance package of $16,000. I was also able to receive unemployment at the absolute highest possible amount that the state of CT offered, each week, which was $560 pre-tax. This allowed me to do some amazing things that make people jealous, such as paying off my new car and eventually, travel the country for 6 weeks with no job. So yes, you CAN collect unemployment simultaneously and legally with receiving severance. The state considers severance to be a "gift" and has no bearing on your eligibility to receive unemployment insurance.

The unemployment benefits in CT are very generous, thanks to the liberal politics. But you should collect with no shame, because you were a taxpayer who paid into the government and are now entitled to receive.

Happy collecting!!

Pretty sure this is different now. The last time I received unemployment I got completely hosed, and this was the first half of last year.

Just be honest about it OP. You don't want it coming back to bite you in the ass later.

Old 02-24-2013, 09:28 AM

4,750 posts, read 7,499,898 times
Arrow Info re severance

FYI, You should read page 17 -18 of
http://www.ctdol.state.ct.us/progsup...ide/uc-288.pdf
quoted below, emphasis by me.

"REASONS YOUR WEEKLY BENEFITS MAY BE REDUCED OR DENIED"

"Your weekly benefits can be reduced if you receive certain types of

income or payments that arise out of past or present employment. You

must report to the TeleBenefits Line receipt of any of the following
payments when received or when you are informed that you will be receiving
such payment:

•

Part-time wages or wages for any work performed, including tips,

(Must be reported WHEN EARNED NOT WHEN PAID)
. Two-thirds of the amount of your weekly gross earnings is deductible from your

weekly benefit rate.

• Remuneration from self-employment

• Vacation pay

•

Severance pay or wages in lieu of notice

•

Holiday pay

•

Retention Bonus

•

Workers’ Compensation

•

Employer-sponsored disability payments
•

Employer-sponsored Pensions

•

Unemployment Insurance under other state or federal law

•

Back pay awards

•

Bonus payments for prior work

•

Child support obligations

A reduction in benefits for vacation pay or severance pay may not always
be necessary, especially if you are required to sign a release of claims
agreement in order to receive severance pay."

Old 02-24-2013, 03:17 PM

14,722 posts, read 17,944,963 times
I think he's referring to the fact that most people when losing their job and having gotten severance usually hunker down, save their money and look for a job immediately. For most people it's stressful, not amazing.

Old 02-24-2013, 04:42 PM

13,258 posts, read 34,623,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post

Happy collecting!!
I think you're really not understanding the unemployment process with the CT Dept. of Labor. Unimployment Insurance is paid for by the employer, not the government. The only people who are "entitled" to receive it, are people who worked for employers who paid into the insurance fund. For instance - if you worked as a full-time secretary for a church, the church is "tax exempt" and doesn't pay any unemployment insurance for its employees. And so if you leave the church's payroll, you are NOT eligible to collect unemployment. Even if YOU had federal taxes taken out of your paycheck (since YOU are not tax exempt).

In summary - your eligibility is based on your employment with a company that paid unemployment insurance. That is regardless of whether you had taxes taken out of your paycheck. Your taxes don't cover the insurance. The company's insurance premiums do.

Also, if you were collecting the highest weekly benefit, then you had to have been earning a whole lot more than that, when you were working. Because no one is entitled to 100% of their prior wages. I wouldn't brag about getting a $560/week unemployment check, if I'd been getting paid $1500/week, or even 700/week in income when I was working for a living.

Old 02-25-2013, 07:42 AM

452 posts, read 1,273,557 times
OK ignoring the antics going on in this thread, I know many people who have gotten a severance package and have collected unemployment benefits at the same time. I think there are certain situations it is allowed to collect simultaneously and there are situations where you have to collect severance first, then when that ends collect unemployment. Your best bet is to be upfront and honest with unemployment, answer all questions truthfully.

Good luck in your search for a new job!

Old 02-25-2013, 10:08 AM

14,722 posts, read 17,944,963 times
Please return to the topic of the thread.

Old 02-25-2013, 10:19 AM

24,587 posts, read 40,140,661 times
This thread has gone way off topic so I am closing it down for review. JayCT, Moderator
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or