Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2013, 07:10 PM

5,989 posts, read 6,774,520 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by willow wind View Post
What we also have to remember about immunity is that just because you are immunized does not mean you are not a carrier.

Example: I'm using chicken pox, pick any disease you like.

Little 5 year old Timmy , with no vaccines in him, comes down with chicken pox. He infects his friend Jimmy. Jimmy does not get sick because his is immunized . However, little Jimmy is carrying it around in him He goes home and spreads it to his little 8 month old sister, who is too young to have immunity and she gets deathly ill.

I find it amazing that pertussis ( whooping cough ) has become so common again. This was a disease of the 1920's , 1930's, early 40's. I can remember the elderly in my family speaking of children who died from it when they were kids. But since the 1950's into the 90's who the heck ever had whooping cough ?

But then again, every kid was immunized. Of course, now we have the " no vaccine people" and here comes the ugly disease again, killing babies.
Interesting theory, but incorrect. One cannot "carry" varicella to anyone. You're either not immune and become infected, or you have the virus in your body and can only transmit it to others via shingles, which is reactivation of varicella. But it is true that infants under the age of 12 months are not routinely given the MMR and varivax, because their immune systems aren't mature enough to respond to the vaccine. When they catch measles or chicken pox after their maternal antibody wears off (by 5 months old or so), they can get very sick indeed. So their only protection is herd immunity. Selfish, foolish parents who refuse to vaccinate their children can cause harm to other people's infants. I like to compare today's vaccine refusers to the superstitious ignoramuses of the last century. They are trying to make sense of something that they just cannot understand, out of ignorance. And unfortunately certain doctors, like the snake oil sellers of yesteryear, are all too happy to make millions preying on the baseless fears of the ignorant. Hear that, Dr. Son of Sears?

In any event, OP, please choose to move somewhere other than CT. Or wise up and protect your own children before it's too late.

Old 03-05-2013, 08:13 PM

4,787 posts, read 11,754,293 times
I'm going to disagree with Parentologist on carrying disease. Chickenpox can be spread by secretions, not just airborne. That means if you're infected and even if you don't get the disease yourself, sniffling, touching things will most certainly pass the germs on. There is a window of opportunity for the disease to spread. Even healthy kid playing with and touching a sick kid or his things will bring the disease home.

Chicken pox is related to smallpox- and how did the white man spread smallpox to the Indians? Rub blankets over an infected person, carry the blankets hundreds, thousands of miles and hand them off to the tribes who were decimated by it.

Hib infection is certainly spread by carriers who are themselves are not ill. Then there is the famous case of Typhoid Mary. Being immune yourself does not mean you cannot pass on disease. Let's also not forget that immunity is not necessarily 100%. You can catch a disease for which you're vaccinated and still get a mild case of it, mild enough that you may not know you're even sick. . But while you're infected, you're spreading it to others.

Old 03-05-2013, 08:25 PM

37,121 posts, read 42,189,292 times
The point was people can be a carrier and not all people who are immunized are 100% protected from getting a disease in some form. Pick another disease if you are getting stuck on Chicken Pox. The great sea of unvaxed puts others at risk, there is no denying that no matter how hard you try. Parents who choose not to vax just don't care about that fact to get over the fear that the government, big pharma or "pick-an-enemy", are trying to poison us...or that their child might get "pick-a-problem" from a routine immunization. That is ALL there is to it.

But I digress...I agree with the poster who stated there are other online comminities who will have this kind of information and as a parent who choses not to vaccinate you should seek those communities out for the most up to date info without the lectures. Sorry, no other way.

Old 03-05-2013, 08:58 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by willow wind View Post
What we also have to remember about immunity is that just because you are immunized does not mean you are not a carrier.

Example: I'm using chicken pox, pick any disease you like.

Little 5 year old Timmy , with no vaccines in him, comes down with chicken pox. He infects his friend Jimmy. Jimmy does not get sick because his is immunized . However, little Jimmy is carrying it around in him He goes home and spreads it to his little 8 month old sister, who is too young to have immunity and she gets deathly ill.

I find it amazing that pertussis ( whooping cough ) has become so common again. This was a disease of the 1920's , 1930's, early 40's. I can remember the elderly in my family speaking of children who died from it when they were kids. But since the 1950's into the 90's who the heck ever had whooping cough ?

But then again, every kid was immunized. Of course, now we have the " no vaccine people" and here comes the ugly disease again, killing babies.
That is not how immunizations work. If Jimmy is immunized, he does not get infected. He has antibodies to the chickenpox virus, and when he is exposed, his antibodies kill the virus before he gets sick (and therefore contagious).

Old 03-06-2013, 06:04 AM

34,913 posts, read 56,893,272 times
This thread has turned into a debate and has gone off topic. Please return to the question asked by the OP which is if anyone knows of a doctor that will see kids who are not vaccinated. Thank you, JayCT, Moderator

Old 03-06-2013, 06:58 AM

13,250 posts, read 42,766,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
This thread has turned into a debate and has gone off topic. Please return to the question asked by the OP which is if anyone knows of a doctor that will see kids who are not vaccinated. Thank you, JayCT, Moderator
I think the answer to the OP's question can be summed up thusly:

"Even if someone does know of a doctor who will not require vaccinations, it isn't likely that anyone is willing to post the doctor's name here - because none of us want to be exposed to your unvaccinated children here in Connecticut."

Old 03-06-2013, 08:41 AM

453 posts, read 1,535,413 times
To the OP, if your reasoning for not vaccinating is for a reason other than religious or a bonafide medical reasons as allowed by CT laws, you will likely have a difficult time finding a pediatrician in CT to see you. I know many Dr's will allow the vaccinations to be spaced out so long as they are within the age range (so basically you just go to the Dr for shots more often if you don't want to do 5 vaccines in one sitting). I suggest opening up the provider locator page on your health insurance's website and start calling around.

Old 03-08-2013, 11:30 AM

13,511 posts, read 19,270,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lihooper View Post
moving to CT, wanted to get a sense of doctors that see kids as we don't vaccinate?
Good for you...your kids are proabably very healthy because of it...if you absolutely need to see a doctor for something, and they ask...just lie, they'll never know.

Old 03-11-2013, 06:54 AM

NEVER lie to your doctor. If they do not understand your thoughts and concerns then find a new one who does. Jay

Old 03-11-2013, 06:55 AM

I think this thread has run its course so I am closing it down. Thank you for all the posts. JayCT, Moderator
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut