Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-23-2007, 09:37 AM

7 posts, read 26,682 times

Advertisements

We currently live in Stamford and would like to move up the line. We want to get out of the city, but do not want to get too rural.

We currently live in a subdivision that is family oriented and would like to find another area/subdivision that is similiar. We have a 1 yr old daughter and expect another next year so schools/activities are an important factor.

We are looking to spend $500-600K and have seen many newer construction houses in the Newtown and Trumbull areas in that price range. I have been to these areas but not familiar with the particular nuances of each.

Thanks in advance for any advice/info that you could provide.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2007, 10:07 AM

333 posts, read 467,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carlutz View Post
We currently live in Stamford and would like to move up the line. We want to get out of the city, but do not want to get too rural.

We currently live in a subdivision that is family oriented and would like to find another area/subdivision that is similiar. We have a 1 yr old daughter and expect another next year so schools/activities are an important factor.

We are looking to spend $500-600K and have seen many newer construction houses in the Newtown and Trumbull areas in that price range. I have been to these areas but not familiar with the particular nuances of each.

Thanks in advance for any advice/info that you could provide.
Both are very desirable towns with good schools. Newtown is a bit more woodsy as homes are generally on larger lots, which gives it a more rural feel. It's not rural, but compared to Stamford, many would consider it so. Trumbull is more your typical suburban town. It has Westfield Shopping and is close to nearly anything you need. If you lived in Newtown, you can do much of your daily errands in town, but for anything else you'd have to drive to Danbury.

Both are pretty similar in price - you may get a little more for your money in Newtown however.

Old 10-23-2007, 10:13 AM

34,917 posts, read 56,893,272 times
Trumbull is very suburban in nature with nice homes on nice sized lots. It is a mature suburb meaning that there is little new construction and what there is is either high density or very upscale and expensive. Schools in turmbull are considered to be excellent with Connecticut Mastery Test scores well above the state averages and reasonable class sizes (around 20 students per class). There are a LOT of family activities in Trumbull, plus great shopping, entertainment and restaurant options.

Newtown is a beautiful semi-rural town with a very nice historic town center. There is a lot of new construction but unfortunately, like Trumbull, it is mostly upscale and expensive. Consider looking at an older existing home that has been updated.

You might also consider Monroe which is a great town between Trumbull and Newtown. Lots to offer a family, slightly newer housing than Trumbull and very good schools. Jay

Old 10-24-2007, 08:14 AM

21 posts, read 74,290 times
I work in Newtown and love the town. I've been at this job going on 4 years. My mechanic is also in this town (Newtown Car Care). There are some wonderful "speciality" shops around, like the bakery and a high-end consignment shop. They also have Lexington Gardens, which is one of my favorite places in the world for plants and decorations. The shop-keepers I've dealt with here are really friendly. The houses are beautiful and well kept. The townspeople really seem to care about their properties.

Old 10-24-2007, 12:58 PM

65 posts, read 206,318 times
Carlutz
Check your direct messages. I sent you something
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut