Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2013, 10:58 AM

284 posts, read 534,272 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dec38 View Post
Stamford is full of young families, and is a great place for families. Head to the Nature Center or any of the parks or playgrounds, to Chelsea Piers, to Cove Island park, etc.
What do all these families do in terms of schooling? The public schools seem very undesirable. That's the big thing that's pushing me more towards Fairfield - better schools. Otherwise, I'd be very happy with Stamford.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2013, 11:28 AM

3,350 posts, read 4,168,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elinyc View Post
What do all these families do in terms of schooling? The public schools seem very undesirable. That's the big thing that's pushing me more towards Fairfield - better schools. Otherwise, I'd be very happy with Stamford.
I think the odds of schools improving are fairly remote, particularly with the surge in elementary school enrollment. It's hard to step up when the basic resources in terms of head count and student ratios are out of sync. Also many of these new students do not hail from English speaking households, so a considerable portion of any new resources are going to be allocated to ESL and similar programs.

Here is a good article from January that discussed this topic in better detail.

Stamford's school squeeze - StamfordAdvocate

Old 04-03-2013, 12:20 PM

64 posts, read 101,323 times
I just pulled Connecticut Mastery test data for 5th Grade 2012. Here are the results for students meeting "Goal" in 5th Grade Math, filtered for those students paying full price for lunch:

State: 84.1%
Stamford: 86%
(Westover school -- one of the magnet schools in Stamford: 94.6%)
Fairfield: 89.4%
Greenwich: 87.6%
Milford: 80.1%
Waterbury: 68.9% (offering contrast of city school that really is not measuring up, as measured in apples to apples comparison)

I would not consider Stamford a failing school district. My oldest starts kindergarden in the fall of 2014, so I am going to ramp up my inquiry into Stamford schools this year. I'll post back when I learn more.

Old 04-03-2013, 12:25 PM

284 posts, read 534,272 times
Quote:
I would not consider Stamford a failing school district. My oldest starts kindergarden in the fall of 2014, so I am going to ramp up my inquiry into Stamford schools this year. I'll post back when I learn more.
Thank you! So all the talk of Stamford schools being bad is empty talk?

Old 04-03-2013, 12:50 PM

3,350 posts, read 4,168,858 times
Quote:
I just pulled Connecticut Mastery test data for 5th Grade 2012. Here are the results for students meeting "Goal" in 5th Grade Math, filtered for those students paying full price for lunch:

State: 84.1%
Stamford: 86%
(Westover school -- one of the magnet schools in Stamford: 94.6%)
Fairfield: 89.4%
Greenwich: 87.6%
Milford: 80.1%
Waterbury: 68.9% (offering contrast of city school that really is not measuring up, as measured in apples to apples comparison)

I've seen that metric before Dec38 and while it is interesting, how will you ensure that all social interaction and classroom enrollment is limited to full price lunch students?

Old 04-03-2013, 02:12 PM

10,094 posts, read 14,965,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elinyc View Post
Thank you! So all the talk of Stamford schools being bad is empty talk?
Some of us have been hinting towards this, but apparently our comments fall on deaf ears (or blind eyes is more accurate.)

Old 04-03-2013, 06:30 PM

371 posts, read 526,690 times
Will downtown Stamford develop properly now that UBS has moved most of their employees into NYC? I consulted there and many of the people already lived in NYC so they are not going to Stamford anymore and not spending money there. Have the businesses suffered?

Old 04-04-2013, 09:41 AM

34,933 posts, read 56,945,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnewyorkcity View Post
Will downtown Stamford develop properly now that UBS has moved most of their employees into NYC? I consulted there and many of the people already lived in NYC so they are not going to Stamford anymore and not spending money there. Have the businesses suffered?
Sorry but UBS still has a lot of employees in their Stamford building. What makes you say that most were moved to NY. Jay

Old 04-04-2013, 01:21 PM

10,094 posts, read 14,965,663 times
If most UBS employees have been moved to NYC and most live there anyway, I don't see how such a change would impact businesses in Stamford. Much of the spending from the employees would had been in nearby restaurants around the lunch hour. Other than that, can't imagine such a change having a direct drastic impact on local businesses.

It might have an impact in city finances and possibly state finances, through the loss of tax revenue at various levels.

But I haven't heard anything about this move, other than what was published in the local paper a few months ago. Back then it was all in the plans and the government was trying to reach a deal with UBS in order to keep those positions, but don't know much beyond that.

Old 04-05-2013, 06:04 AM

34,933 posts, read 56,945,109 times
Originally it was reported that UBS was moving 3,000 people out of Stamford but then, almost immediately it was corrected that it was from several offices. Not much later they announced they were keeping a large number of employees in Stamford. I think it was like 2,500. Still a sizable amount. I believe they are living up to that agreement. Jay
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut