U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2013, 12:55 PM

284 posts, read 438,927 times

Advertisements

Does anybody know what's up with the random plots of empty land in downtown Stamford? The big chunk of land on Tresser & Grove? Or the smaller plot on Broad & Gay St? Or the chunk of land next to the post office on Atlantic? What a waste to have these deserted plots of land instead of developing them into something nice that would help further improve downtown. Does anybody know why these areas are just sitting there instead of being turned into something nice? I'm glad that the Mill River Park is coming soon, but we need more good stuff in downtown Stamford and less random uninhabited patches. Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2013, 01:29 PM
Status: "Getting better one day at a time..." (set 29 days ago)

5,014 posts, read 7,933,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elinyc View Post
The big chunk of land on Tresser & Grove?
I guess you meant to say Tresser and Greyrock. That hole has been there for decades. Its the biggest mystery around.

Quote:
Or the smaller plot on Broad & Gay St?
That has been like that for as long as I can remember.

Quote:
Or the chunk of land next to the post office on Atlantic?
A Ritz Carlton hotel, a luxury residential building, and the post office will be converted to a restaurant. This project has been slow, but as far as I know its still in the works. The developers and the city's zoning board have not seen eye-to-eye on the scale of the project.

Quote:
What a waste to have these deserted plots of land instead of developing them into something nice that would help further improve downtown.
Except for the hole on Tresser and Greyrock, all the other plots will eventually be developed. There were other plots that were deserted for several year and were recently developed. The new colorful residential building on Washington Blvd and North St is a perfect example of this.

Old 03-14-2013, 08:23 PM
Status: "Getting better one day at a time..." (set 29 days ago)

5,014 posts, read 7,933,472 times
This is the building I was referring to in the last sentence of my previous post:

The inauguration was in August of last year. Its quite typical of the new residential projects popping up all over Stamford, especially in downtown and adjacent neighborhoods.

Old 03-15-2013, 03:59 AM

2,831 posts, read 2,659,893 times
I've been told the land at Tresser and Greyrock is a brownfield, and requires remediation to be developed.

Old 03-15-2013, 11:22 AM

3,607 posts, read 8,711,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elinyc View Post
Does anybody know what's up with the random plots of empty land in downtown Stamford? The big chunk of land on Tresser & Grove? Or the smaller plot on Broad & Gay St? Or the chunk of land next to the post office on Atlantic? What a waste to have these deserted plots of land instead of developing them into something nice that would help further improve downtown. Does anybody know why these areas are just sitting there instead of being turned into something nice? I'm glad that the Mill River Park is coming soon, but we need more good stuff in downtown Stamford and less random uninhabited patches. Thoughts?
The "hole in the ground" across from the Stamford Town Center mall downtown--if that's where you are referring--had a development I *think* in the late 80s/early 90s, where they dug a hole but water from the harbor seeped in, and they stopped/abandoned the site. I think they could develop the site, with the right engineering and money, it would keep the water away.

However, I've read that the owners of this plot of land are very wealthy developers and have no need to ever sell unless they get exactly what $$ they are looking for. I read these same owners owned the last vacant parcel of land in Times Square--on the corner of 8th Avenue and 42nd and only sold when they got the right $$ amount and all. This plot in Stamford is apparently super overpriced, and the owners had turned down a few really good offers over the years for development.

Frustrating really....it needs to be developed badly--such an eyesore.

Old 03-15-2013, 11:52 AM

Thank you for the info! I agree that it's a terrible eyesore and hope that the hurdles are overcome soon so that it can be developed. Stamford has improved a lot, even in the 2 years I've lived here, but there's so much more that can be done...

Old 03-15-2013, 01:03 PM

167 posts, read 383,595 times
How about the new construction on the corner of Washington and Tresser? From what I hear, it is going to be a residential complex with some first floor shopping. Haven't heard anything about it for a few years but it is going up pretty quickly.

Also, I noticed they shut down all of those little shops on Washington near Hotel Zero Degrees, hopefully they will be doing something to remove those eyesores.

Old 03-15-2013, 03:39 PM

3,607 posts, read 8,711,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tops1234 View Post
How about the new construction on the corner of Washington and Tresser? From what I hear, it is going to be a residential complex with some first floor shopping. Haven't heard anything about it for a few years but it is going up pretty quickly.

Also, I noticed they shut down all of those little shops on Washington near Hotel Zero Degrees, hopefully they will be doing something to remove those eyesores.
That site on Washington/Tresser will be condos/apartments, but only like 5-6 stories. As for the vacant stores in the government subsidized high rise, I think the stores have become vacant (just a thought based on past plans/rumors) because that building is being torn down for high rise development in the future, and whoever leases the stores may not be renewing the leases ... ?? Unsure, but I know those 3 subsidized towers have a limited future. There is a huge push to tear them down and relocate the residents elsewhere. It's a touchy subject, but since Stamford is known for its "demolish rapidly and replace with all-new buildings" philosophy, I would not be surprised if in 5 years, the 3 towers are gone and/or completely replaced.

There was a Trump hotel/residences tower going up across from the Rich Forum (across from the UBS building on Tresser and Atlantic) right when the crash of 09 happened, but the plans were tabled. I wouldn't be shocked if those plans came back in next couple years.

Old 03-15-2013, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjbradleynyc View Post
Unsure, but I know those 3 subsidized towers have a limited future.
I hope so!

Old 03-15-2013, 04:14 PM

2,831 posts, read 2,659,893 times
So there were two Trump towers planned? So this was in addition to the Trump Parc at Washington and Broad?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut