Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What do you think of my plan?
It would destroy CT as we know it 16 57.14%
It would revive CT and attract talent and attention 12 42.86%
Voters: 28. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2013, 11:02 AM

1,290 posts, read 1,976,191 times

Advertisements

Strongly agree with numbers 3, 4, 5, and 8.

Strongly disagree with numbers 2,7, and 11.

Number 10 - are you serious????

Old 03-16-2013, 03:44 PM

1,063 posts, read 1,363,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
Incorporate Manchester, West Hartford and East Hartford as cities.
Don't really see the point.

Quote:
Complete the I-291 beltway, even if it means demolishing hundreds of residential properties and commercial buildings.

Also don't really see the point.

Quote:
End the overly generous welfare politics of CT and get rid of Malloy ASAP.

Logically inconsistent with your other proposals.

Quote:
Pass pro-growth business policies, just like the other red states have done to cause economic booms. CT desperately needs to be more business friendly.

Do you know what those pro-growth policies are? Because that's extremely non-descriptive. If most of those policies are just "make my state more friendly to business," that's not a valid change. Every state does what behooves it.

Quote:
Upgrade the I-91 Amtrak corridor to high speed rail NOW.

Yes.

Quote:
Cancel the stupid New Britain - Hartford busway.

Logically inconsistent with previous, unless they are mutually exclusive. Are they?

Quote:
Build tons of new apartment complexes and housing subdivisions in towns that still have space, such as Rocky Hill, East Windsor, Berlin, Glastonbury and Suffield.

For what? There are still dozens of houses on the market for sale. Why build more when they will go largely unoccupied?

Quote:
Build a high speed rail along I-84 NOW.

Sure. But as with the I-91 one, what good will high speed rail do in such a small state if other states aren't on board? Better question, how is this pushing us into the future when other countries have done this decades ago? Isn't this "pushing CT into the present?"

Quote:
Create incentives for industries such as hi-tech, healthcare and engineering to start business in CT.

I agree with all but healthcare. Breaking windows is not a valid profession. Unless you mean more doctors and such in general, but I'm sure you don't.

Quote:
Install heating panels underneath ALL state roads and highways so that plow trucks will never be needed again, and people can't complain about winter driving up here.

The core of this problem is infrastructure in general. Roads need to be widened and there needs to be adequate places to put snow. The grid layout is great in some ways, but terrible for things like this. Also state roads and highways tend to be fine in the snow, it's the side roads. No one in their right mind would agree to fund this. Have you also considered the issue of flooding on the roads when all that water has no place to go?

Quote:
Subsidize the cost of public universities' tuition 100% and build more UConn branches to attract young people.

I agree with free college education, provided it's still the same quality. I would also agree provided that students get kicked out if they fail their courses.

Quote:
Build the tunnel connecting Route 9 in Old Saybrook to Long Island to attract more New Yorkers.
I mean, what do you think?
To do what, commute? Why not get people to move here? New Yorkers already know how to get here. If they worked here they'd probably want to live here, but most work in NYC where they get paid a hell of a lot more than they'd get paid here.

Old 03-16-2013, 05:13 PM

6,981 posts, read 10,950,129 times
Quote:
This thread is about the economic future of CT in terms of growth, urban development and infrastructure. Maybe I am the only one who feels that CT has been economically "sleepy" for the past 30+ years and believe that we need major economic boom, similar to that seen in other modern American cities such as Charlotte, Phoenix, Houston, Austin, Raleigh, etc. We need to attract and keep more young people, bring down property values to more mainstream affordability, instead of being only reserved for rich people. Enough is enough. After traveling all over the nation and asking people's opinions on CT and New England in general, they all comment on how old everything is. So, here is my 12-step proposal to bring CT into the NEW America.
  1. Incorporate Manchester, West Hartford and East Hartford as cities.
  2. Complete the I-291 beltway, even if it means demolishing hundreds of residential properties and commercial buildings.
  3. End the overly generous welfare politics of CT and get rid of Malloy ASAP.
  4. Pass pro-growth business policies, just like the other red states have done to cause economic booms. CT desperately needs to be more business friendly.
  5. Upgrade the I-91 Amtrak corridor to high speed rail NOW.
  6. Cancel the stupid New Britain - Hartford busway.
  7. Build tons of new apartment complexes and housing subdivisions in towns that still have space, such as Rocky Hill, East Windsor, Berlin, Glastonbury and Suffield.
  8. Build a high speed rail along I-84 NOW.
  9. Create incentives for industries such as hi-tech, healthcare and engineering to start business in CT.
  10. Install heating panels underneath ALL state roads and highways so that plow trucks will never be needed again, and people can't complain about winter driving up here.
  11. Subsidize the cost of public universities' tuition 100% and build more UConn branches to attract young people.
  12. Build the tunnel connecting Route 9 in Old Saybrook to Long Island to attract more New Yorkers.
I mean, what do you think?
Our problem is old thinking much more than old buildings. Our politics are stuck in 1965 in many ways, and we're falling behind.

I do think we need pro-growth policies, which means lower taxes, lower public spending, and smaller government. We also need some smart investment. The best thing we could probably do is find a way to bring successful business back to our dying cities like Bridgeport and Hartford.

Old 03-16-2013, 05:36 PM

12,380 posts, read 26,853,319 times
I like some of it , but most of it is too 1950s Pro-Suburbia which is not what the Market is trending at the moment.....which is dense old suburbia towns and cities.

My 2040 Connecticut Vision

Transportation

1-Electrify all Railways & Expand the Network to service all the Large Cities and Towns
2-Bury I-84 in Downtown Hartford , reclaim the surface space and build densely
3-Bury I-91 in Downtown Hartford , reclaim the Surface space and expand the Riverfront Park
4-Cover the Depressed areas of I-95 in New Haven & East Haven
5-Boulevard I-91 through Mill River
6-Upgrade the Knowledge Corridor to 130mph between New Haven & Brattleboro , grade separate the entire line
7-Build the New NEC after 2030 along I-84 / US 6
8-All Major and Secondary streets in towns and cities would be upgraded to include Sidewalks and bike lanes
9-Traffic Calming and Pedestrian safety features like curb extensions at Intersections would be required on all major and secondary Roads in built up areas

10-Build a Streetcar & Light Rail Network in Hartford connecting various neighborhoods like Parkville , South End , Downtown , North End , West End , West Hartford , East Hartford , Middletown and Manchester

11-Build a Streetcar & Light Rail Network in New Haven connecting various Neighborhoods like Downtown , Long Wharf , City Point , The Hill , West New Haven , Dixwell , Mill River , Prospect Hill , Fair Haven , Fair Haven Heights , East Haven , West Haven , and North Haven

12-Build a Streetcar Network in Stamford connecting various Neighborhoods like Downtown , Harborpoint , Shippan point , East Shippan , West side , South End , Glenbrook , Springdale , Newfield

Redevelopment & Land Use

13-Further Suburban Sprawl would be discouraged , Urban & old Town investments would be encouraged
14-TOD would be encouraged in every town , city or neighborhood with a train station or bus terminal
15-Infill in Historic towns and Urban areas would be encouraged
16-Mixed Use Developments would be encouraged along Major Streets and in Downtown areas
17-High Rises and Skyscrapers should be encouraged in Downtown New Haven , Stamford and Hartford

Environment , Defense & Nature

18-Building would be banned in Flood Zones , and near protected Wetlands or Watersheds
19-Rebuilding would be banned in Flood zones after the area is severely damaged by a large Nor'Easter or Hurricane
20-Flood Gates would be installed at the mouth of Norwalk , Saugatuck , Housatonic Rivers to prevent Storm Surges from Entering the Dense - built up areas
21-Flood Gates and Sea walls would be installed at the mouth of New Haven , New London and Bridgeport Harbors to prevent Storm surges from entering the dense built up areas
22-Trees would be planted along wide boulevards and Urban streets to reduce the Urban & Suburban Heat Islands
23-All Power lines in built up areas should be placed underground
24-All Substations in Flood zones should be elevated or protected

City & Town Mergers a few , not all

25- West Hartford , East Hartford would be merged into Hartford
26-East Haven , North Haven , West Haven , Woodmont , Hamden would be merged into New Haven
27-Derby , Ansonia , Seymour would merge into Shelton
28-Orange , Stratford would be merged into Milford
29-Central/Waterford , Groton would merge into New London
30-Berlin , Kensington , Newington , would be merged into New Britian

Last edited by DarkWolf; 03-16-2013 at 05:44 PM..

Old 03-16-2013, 10:57 PM

140 posts, read 259,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post
I like some of it , but most of it is too 1950s Pro-Suburbia which is not what the Market is trending at the moment.....which is dense old suburbia towns and cities.

Transportation

1-Electrify all Railways & Expand the Network to service all the Large Cities and Towns
3-Bury I-91 in Downtown Hartford , reclaim the Surface space and expand the Riverfront Park
6-Upgrade the Knowledge Corridor to 130mph between New Haven & Brattleboro , grade separate the entire line
8-All Major and Secondary streets in towns and cities would be upgraded to include Sidewalks and bike lanes
9-Traffic Calming and Pedestrian safety features like curb extensions at Intersections would be required on all major and secondary Roads in built up areas

10-Build a Streetcar & Light Rail Network in Hartford connecting various neighborhoods like Parkville , South End , Downtown , North End , West End , West Hartford , East Hartford , Middletown and Manchester

11-Build a Streetcar & Light Rail Network in New Haven connecting various Neighborhoods like Downtown , Long Wharf , City Point , The Hill , West New Haven , Dixwell , Mill River , Prospect Hill , Fair Haven , Fair Haven Heights , East Haven , West Haven , and North Haven

12-Build a Streetcar Network in Stamford connecting various Neighborhoods like Downtown , Harborpoint , Shippan point , East Shippan , West side , South End , Glenbrook , Springdale , Newfield

Redevelopment & Land Use

13-Further Suburban Sprawl would be discouraged , Urban & old Town investments would be encouraged
14-TOD would be encouraged in every town , city or neighborhood with a train station or bus terminal
16-Mixed Use Developments would be encouraged along Major Streets and in Downtown areas
17-High Rises and Skyscrapers should be encouraged in Downtown New Haven , Stamford and Hartford

18-Building would be banned in Flood Zones , and near protected Wetlands or Watersheds
19-Rebuilding would be banned in Flood zones after the area is severely damaged by a large Nor'Easter or Hurricane
20-Flood Gates would be installed at the mouth of Norwalk , Saugatuck , Housatonic Rivers to prevent Storm Surges from Entering the Dense - built up areas
21-Flood Gates and Sea walls would be installed at the mouth of New Haven , New London and Bridgeport Harbors to prevent Storm surges from entering the dense built up areas
22-Trees would be planted along wide boulevards and Urban streets to reduce the Urban & Suburban Heat Islands

26-East Haven , North Haven , West Haven , Woodmont , Hamden would be merged into New Haven
I agree 1, 8, 9, and even 10, 11, 12 (althought it'd be very expensive, and who knows if it'd actually be used enough to make the cost worthwile). I also agree with 13, 16, 17, 22, and even 23 (although that as well would be hard to fund and would be very expensive).

I strongly disagree with 19, 25, 26, 227, 28, 29, and 30. One, Woodmont is currently part of Milford, so why would it merge into New Haven? Also, why crush any chance of those towns being independent by merging them together to make more large cities. I love Milford the way it is (the population it is: 52,000). I wouldn't want the population to grow too big to where it would lose its small town feel and feel like a plain old suburban city (even though it is a suburban city). That was my biggest pet peeve about Phoenix's suburbs that once had a small town feel, but grew to hundreds of thousands of people in just one suburb, and millions in the metro area. Also, I feel areas in flood zones are already developed and if they do get damaged, they should be rebuilt because some people have lived in areas like this for their entire life. Why force them to leave instead of rebuild? I understand maybe not building newer developments in flood zones, but the exisiting ones should remain, IMO.

Old 03-16-2013, 10:59 PM

11,669 posts, read 17,949,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post

Transportation

Redevelopment & Land Use

I like the mergers for sure. Other "New" America states contain incorporated places with MUCH larger city propers. I especially like the idea of consolidating all 3 Hartfords into one Hartford. And all four Havens into one New Haven.

I also agree with many other of your proposals, although I think they're too anti-automobile in some ways. CT seriously needs a transformation into the 21st century. After living in Charlotte for one month and returning up here, I am appalled at how outdated, weathered and neglected everything appears. It's embarrassing. It actually made me think, "man....if only everyone knew what exists in other states."

Old 03-17-2013, 04:27 AM

6,981 posts, read 10,950,129 times
Quote:
I like the mergers for sure. Other "New" America states contain incorporated places with MUCH larger city propers. I especially like the idea of consolidating all 3 Hartfords into one Hartford. And all four Havens into one New Haven.

I also agree with many other of your proposals, although I think they're too anti-automobile in some ways. CT seriously needs a transformation into the 21st century. After living in Charlotte for one month and returning up here, I am appalled at how outdated, weathered and neglected everything appears. It's embarrassing. It actually made me think, "man....if only everyone knew what exists in other states."
It's a political impossibility to jpin a thriving town like West Hartford to a dysfunctional mess like Hartford. The people in the better functioning town won't have it, and they shouldn't.

Old 03-17-2013, 01:16 PM

2,080 posts, read 3,923,096 times
Quote:

You just got back to CT after bashing it the first time around; you saw a few other places and touted their benefits over CT, now you're back cause CT ain't so bad after all. Now you're full circle bashing CT again! C'mon man, make up your mind!!

Old 03-17-2013, 01:33 PM

21,752 posts, read 28,086,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhxSuns333 View Post
I agree 1, 8, 9, and even 10, 11, 12 (althought it'd be very expensive, and who knows if it'd actually be used enough to make the cost worthwile). I also agree with 13, 16, 17, 22, and even 23 (although that as well would be hard to fund and would be very expensive).

I strongly disagree with 19, 25, 26, 227, 28, 29, and 30. One, Woodmont is currently part of Milford, so why would it merge into New Haven? Also, why crush any chance of those towns being independent by merging them together to make more large cities. I love Milford the way it is (the population it is: 52,000). I wouldn't want the population to grow too big to where it would lose its small town feel and feel like a plain old suburban city (even though it is a suburban city). That was my biggest pet peeve about Phoenix's suburbs that once had a small town feel, but grew to hundreds of thousands of people in just one suburb, and millions in the metro area. Also, I feel areas in flood zones are already developed and if they do get damaged, they should be rebuilt because some people have lived in areas like this for their entire life. Why force them to leave instead of rebuild? I understand maybe not building newer developments in flood zones, but the exisiting ones should remain, IMO.
Yeah, that Woodmont point can only come from someone who doesn't know this area at all. Also Stratford is geographically seperated by the Housatonic and in a different county.

Not sure what point merging towns has.

Old 03-17-2013, 01:47 PM

46 posts, read 164,758 times
Quote:

THIS^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

The OP posted about other CITIES in red states, but cities in blue states like Seattle, Portland, and SF are doing great also. Hartford and New Haven are the only places in CT that matter and yet everybody neglects them. People wonder why CT the economy here isn't great and educated people are not moving here. YOUNG PEOPLE WANT TO LIVE IN CITIES!!!!! WE DON'T WANT TO LIVE IN CAR DEPENDENT "TOWNS." Having all the poor people in "cities" (where people want to live) and all old rich white people in "towns" (where nobody wants to relocate after college) is what is killing CT.

(ps I used to post as brandonfromseattle but I changed my moniker because I am moving back to Seattle in a few weeks...and never coming back. I think I'll do a vacation to Rhode Island sometime though. It is my favorite place on the east coast.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut