Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2013, 09:39 AM

2 posts, read 3,320 times

Advertisements

I will be working in Farmington and I am currently looking for a condo in the Farmington, Bristol, Avon area. I know none of the above areas can compare to NYC but please advise on how diverse the areas are and what the social life is like in the areas. Moreover, Which area would one consider more affluent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2013, 10:00 AM

4,787 posts, read 11,754,293 times
I wouldn't look in any of those towns. Coming from NYC, you might prefer the town of West Hartford. It's the most urban type setting, lively, lots to do, really good restaurant scene, some nightlife, many good housing opportunities.

Bristol is an old mill city, pretty much blue collar, with virtually not much going on. There's not anything wrong with it, but I don't see if working for a single woman. You'd be bored to tears. Avon is true suburbia, the most affluent of three you picked IMO, but again, not much going on socially. Farmington is a beautiful town, also well off, but doesn't compare to West Hartford in amenity level.

Keep in mind West Hartford is its own town, as compared to west Hartford , which is the western part of the city of Hartford. Confusing for someone out of the area. I would check out West Hartford first and then only look into Farmington if you didn't find anything.

Good luck and welcome

Old 03-24-2013, 10:02 AM

2,856 posts, read 10,429,058 times
Avon and Farmington are affluent communities made up of mostly families, (Farmington would likely have more singles then Avon) while Bristol is a city with not much going on in the way of entertainment. You will see the affluent areas reflected in the real estate prices.

If you like things to do close by I would personally recommend West Hartford. There is plenty of shopping and bars/restaurants to check out. That would be the only town near that area which has a nightlife.

Old 03-24-2013, 10:08 AM

856 posts, read 2,014,357 times
Not sure if money is a factor but you'll get a lot more for your buck in Bristol than Farmington it west Hartford. True that Bristol isn't a happening place, its more for settled couples/families. I guess it depends in where you like to meet people too.

Old 03-24-2013, 10:29 AM

21,722 posts, read 28,048,669 times
Bristol will seem REALLY blah coming from NYC. I think you will want to see if you can rent a place in West Hartford Center. Even if you have to go with a small place to afford it, it's pretty much the only "happening" place in that immediate area. Everything else is very suburban and family-orientated. West Hartford Center has a huge selection of shopping and dining for a city its size, and it's gorgeous.

Old 03-24-2013, 10:30 AM

2,256 posts, read 4,494,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by willow wind View Post
i wouldn't look in any of those towns. Coming from nyc, you might prefer the town of west hartford. It's the most urban type setting, lively, lots to do, really good restaurant scene, some nightlife, many good housing opportunities.

Bristol is an old mill city, pretty much blue collar, with virtually not much going on. There's not anything wrong with it, but i don't see if working for a single woman. You'd be bored to tears. Avon is true suburbia, the most affluent of three you picked imo, but again, not much going on socially. Farmington is a beautiful town, also well off, but doesn't compare to west hartford in amenity level.

Keep in mind west hartford is its own town, as compared to west hartford , which is the western part of the city of hartford. Confusing for someone out of the area. I would check out west hartford first and then only look into farmington if you didn't find anything.

Good luck and welcome
+1000....

Old 03-24-2013, 10:58 AM

706 posts, read 756,764 times
I would say go with Farmington, there are nice affordable condos in Farmington and it would be close to work.
It's only a short drive to West Hartford Center or Downtown Hartford for Entertainment.

Old 03-24-2013, 11:01 AM

8,777 posts, read 19,852,893 times
Affluence: Avon>Farmington>Bristol

As others have indicated though, none of the 3 sound like a good fit.

Old 03-24-2013, 10:09 PM

163 posts, read 240,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wma152 View Post
I would say go with Farmington, there are nice affordable condos in Farmington and it would be close to work.
It's only a short drive to West Hartford Center or Downtown Hartford for Entertainment.
I agree with this. There are a lot of condos available in Farmington and it's a nice, very safe town to live in. Everything is a short drive away and the river and trails provide outdoor recreation.

Old 03-25-2013, 03:37 AM

11,294 posts, read 18,872,835 times
I don't know your age, but my boss at my old job a few years ago had a 20 something daughter from Westchester County who got a job for one of the big Hartford insurance companies and she opted to live in West Hartford and loved it. Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut