Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2013, 02:58 PM

9,819 posts, read 14,677,678 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dec38 View Post
The assumption that all the schools are bad is based on the test results, right? I feel like I am a broken record on this site but the use of overall testing data that does not account for demographic differences is meaningless. If you want to compare achievement based on test results, you need to separate out the demographic subgroups and do an apples to apples comparison. That is just a fact, something fundamental to any kind of statistical analysis. When you do that apples to apples comparison, Stamford schools do not look “bad” at all (at least at the elementary school level, which is all I've looked at). So I think we all need to be clear about what we mean when looking for a good school. I don’t know enough to answer the question about the quality of education in Stamford schools, but I can read the data well enough to know not to write them off completely based on test scores.
Some questions I would like to learn more about, but do not presume to know the answers to based on test scores, include the following:
-- Do the advantages of being in a diverse environment outweigh any disadvantages? Does being around kids from poorer or rougher backgrounds interfere at all with the learning process? What about social benefits or problems?
--Quality of teachers. Is Stamford able to attract and keep good quality teachers?
--Curriculum. Are students challenged? I wouldn’t want my kids to be in a school with even terrific test scores if all that school did was teach to the test. How is the new common core curriculum being implemented? How are teachers being trained to teach the common core?
--Extracurricular opportunities. I’m especially interested in the science/STEM opportunities, for example. Robotics clubs? Any scientific research support? How robust are the offerings in science, the arts, etc.
Personally, I see a great benefit to the diversity in Stamford (“busing” and all) -- so long as the social problems of some do not interfere with the learning process of all.
I've been saying this for years on these boards. Thank you for saving me a huge post!

Make sure your kids take advanced or college preparatory courses and they should be fine, along with the usual involvement that responsible parents should do.

I can almost guarantee that if you make sure your kids get in the top courses for each grade -getting involved in your child's education greatly increases the chances they will be placed in these courses-, then they will get a top notch education. In many of these courses the troubled kids are basically non-existent and they don't really dominate the schools. Most of the students are quite decent.

By the way, here is last year's graduation ceremony for Westhill High School:

To my understanding, most of the graduates are currently receiving a post-secondary education, many in top schools nationwide.

Last edited by AntonioR; 03-31-2013 at 03:41 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2013, 03:13 PM

21,553 posts, read 27,794,997 times
Nothing wrong with Stamford schools just like there's nothing wrong with Danbury, Shelton, Milford, Hamden, Wallingford, etc schools. People get snotty about test scores and the homogenized socioeconomic schools, but it's just not that cut and dry.

I say this time and time again, and I came from a top 20 CT high school.

Old 03-31-2013, 06:20 PM

2,322 posts, read 2,148,992 times
I know quite a few people that went through Stamford Public schools all the way through. It's like anything, the school itself can only help so much but without the help a post-secondary education is not particularly likely. The ones I've met feel like and seem like they got a very good education. Elementary is tough, especially for immigrant heavy districts, as some kids have a minimal exposure to English (which is my own grandmother's case, who didn't speak English until about 5 or so) but learn quickly.

Old 03-31-2013, 07:20 PM

6,981 posts, read 10,897,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
Nothing wrong with Stamford schools just like there's nothing wrong with Danbury, Shelton, Milford, Hamden, Wallingford, etc schools. People get snotty about test scores and the homogenized socioeconomic schools, but it's just not that cut and dry.

I say this time and time again, and I came from a top 20 CT high school.
Part of the issue is that Fairfield County is a place of extremes. We seem not to have much of a true middle class. We have ridiculously wealthy and poor, and not a whole lot in between in most cases.

It's hard to get a school that's a good mix. I don't love the idea of schools were kids are spoiled beyond belief, driver new BMWs to school in 11th grade, etc. I think that leads to a lot of problems.

But so does having a school where a lot of the kids are from poor dysfuctional single-or-zero-parent families, drug abusing parents, etc.

I like a school that has a decent mix absent the problems of the extemes, but there aren't that many of those schools around here.

Old 03-31-2013, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beeker2211 View Post
It's like anything, the school itself can only help so much but without the help a post-secondary education is not particularly likely.
What do you mean by that?

Old 03-31-2013, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dazzleman View Post
But so does having a school where a lot of the kids are from poor dysfuctional single-or-zero-parent families, drug abusing parents, etc.

I like a school that has a decent mix absent the problems of the extemes, but there aren't that many of those schools around here.
That certainly isn't the case in Stamford. It's totally well rounded without those extremes. Same with Danbury, Bethel, Shelton, Stratford, etc. Even Norwalk is alright, especially Brian McMahon.

It's really only Bridgeport where you really have urban issues that encroach on the school experience in a bad way.

Just because a school doesn't have glimmering test scores doesn't mean it's not a good environment to learn.

Old 04-01-2013, 12:23 AM

2,322 posts, read 2,148,992 times
Quote:
What do you mean by that?
Sorry if I was unclear. I meant that while there are limits to what a school can do for its' students, without a basic decently rounded education success in post-secondary (either, college/university/trade school) is a much harder prospect.

Old 04-01-2013, 05:50 AM

5,064 posts, read 15,845,295 times
Quote:

It's really only Bridgeport where you really have urban issues that encroach on the school experience in a bad way.
After trying out a Norwalk school, I can assure you that is not the case. It's difficult for kids to get a good education when some of their classmates are crawling around under the desks, trying to run out the door, throwing things, talking back to the teachers, etc. I used to volunteer in the school and was shocked by the behavior of many of the students. But to each his own.

Old 04-01-2013, 06:47 AM

3,346 posts, read 4,134,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andthentherewere3 View Post
After trying out a Norwalk school, I can assure you that is not the case. It's difficult for kids to get a good education when some of their classmates are crawling around under the desks, trying to run out the door, throwing things, talking back to the teachers, etc. I used to volunteer in the school and was shocked by the behavior of many of the students. But to each his own.
Couldn't have said it better and a large contributor to my relocation from Stamford. I hear this from parents still in the district as well as many educators that I still keep in touch with. I really do wish a mayor would challenge the state rule on free lunch equalization/integration. Values in North Stamford would skyrocket- perhaps even in line with New Canaan or Greenwich.

Old 04-01-2013, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andthentherewere3 View Post
Norwalk was borderline for me, so I'm not surprised. However I haven't heard any of this from my Stamford friends.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut