Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2013, 08:40 PM

442 posts, read 455,419 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7 Wishes View Post
My personal experience is with the UK. I worked about 20 years ago for a couple of years with the small US branch of a British company and there (but not in our office) they got 3 weeks to begin with and 4 weeks after 5 years, 5 weeks after 10 years, etc. I liasoned (and occasionally visited) that office a lot and they took all their vacation and the culture was NOT one that discouraged vacations. My wife worked for several years for the US HQ of Virgin Atlantic Airways in Norwalk, and she too both liasoned with and visited "world" corporate a lot and they had the same thing (granted, an airline would encourage vacations, and though she only got 2 weeks here (3 weeks after 5 years), the "culture" here did not discourage taking your vacation time).

I have an uncle that did the same deal (worked for small US office of a European company and visited the "home" office often), but with a French company from the 1960s to just after 2000 and he said it was even more "loose" vacation-wise with the office in France, they got 6 weeks from the get-go.

It's funny what you say about "not leaving before the boss" and long work hours, etc. because from my experience and talking to others, I've seen a lot more of that in the US than elsewhere, nowadays even to some extent more than Japan and South Korea. I will say that to some extent from what I've seen (especially now compared to a couple of decades ago) what you say is true about the UK ("legislation" vs. "reality") but it's much less true about France, Germany, the Netherlands, the Scandinavian countries, etc.
Interesting points. I have very different experience in Germany and Sweden, and the UK is totally different anyway. I can't speak of the other countries, as I have no personal experience there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2013, 09:22 PM

128 posts, read 207,595 times
The Undesirable Weather would be my first choice to leave. And where I live, there is no such thing as a "Good Driver".

Old 07-03-2013, 10:59 AM

24 posts, read 35,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
Oh yes, I would much rather live with the threat of "The Big One" (meaning earthquakes) and wildfires than the chance of a blizzard (yes I am being sarcastic). At least the aftermath of a blizzard melts away in a short time. JMHO, Jay
Yes, there is always that looming threat of earthquakes. Some friends of ours from college live in Moore, OK and cannot fathom having stayed in CA. They say, "At least you can usually see a tornado coming and can get away. You can't see earthquakes." I think it all comes down to what one is conditioned to. I grew up in CA so earthquakes are no big deal. They actually happen quite frequently. The usual reaction is "Oh, we just had an earthquake" and on to the next thing. Thankfully, the ones who live in Moore were about two blocks from where the tornado hit, but his work was leveled (he survived hiding in the bank vault). But, anyways, the one thing that really is horrible are the wildfires. My parents house was about a quarter mile away from the 2003 San Diego wildfire and when we relocated to North County we could see the fire coming over the hill above our house in, I think it was, 2007. Thankfully, they were able to stop it, but it was really bad. A few of my mom's clients from work lost homes and one distant family member of ours.

Old 07-03-2013, 11:12 AM

3,484 posts, read 9,415,846 times
We all live under the threat of natural disasters in the U.S., period. It may be a hurricane, blizzard, wildfire, earthquake, tornado, tsunamis, floods, volcano eruptions, or whatever. Chances are, at least one of the above can happen wherever you live in the US. Pick your poison.

Old 07-03-2013, 02:03 PM

37,441 posts, read 61,346,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mels View Post
We all live under the threat of natural disasters in the U.S., period. It may be a hurricane, blizzard, wildfire, earthquake, tornado, tsunamis, floods, volcano eruptions, or whatever. Chances are, at least one of the above can happen wherever you live in the US. Pick your poison.
Some disasters are very common in a majority of places. Like drought, a lot of the US is prone to drought.

But other disasters are very rare, or they happen in very limited areas [ hurricane, wildfire, earthquake, tornado, tsunamis, floods, and volcano eruptions].

It is not impossible to avoid most of these.

Old 07-03-2013, 02:34 PM

3,484 posts, read 9,415,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
Some disasters are very common in a majority of places. Like drought, a lot of the US is prone to drought.

But other disasters are very rare, or they happen in very limited areas [ hurricane, wildfire, earthquake, tornado, tsunamis, floods, and volcano eruptions].

It is not impossible to avoid most of these.
Hurricanes can affect anywhere in the entire east and Gulf coasts of the US- that's a large chunk of the US. Tornado Alley is comprised of a large swath of land in the nation's midsection. Tsunamis can affect every Pacific coast state. Wildfires= dry western states- CA, AZ, NM, CO, ID, NV, UT, etc. Blizzards/ice = northern half of the country, plus mountainous areas. I'll give you volcano eruptions as being somewhat easy to avoid.

Where exactly is this geographic region we all should live that is far away from these "limited" areas that are prone to natural disasters?

Old 07-03-2013, 03:16 PM

11,291 posts, read 18,870,511 times
Quote:
Where exactly is this geographic region we all should live that is far away from these "limited" areas that are prone to natural disasters?
http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2..._ev=click&_r=0

Old 07-03-2013, 04:02 PM

402 posts, read 686,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jp03 View Post
You live in Arizona? Hell on earth 6 months a year,,why would anyone live there..
silly person-look at a map-Arizona is big and has desert to alpine environments. It's not all cactus! I just saw elk today.

Old 07-03-2013, 05:46 PM

37,441 posts, read 61,346,326 times
Quote:
Hurricanes can affect anywhere in the entire east and Gulf coasts of the US- that's a large chunk of the US. Tornado Alley is comprised of a large swath of land in the nation's midsection. Tsunamis can affect every Pacific coast state. Wildfires= dry western states- CA, AZ, NM, CO, ID, NV, UT, etc. Blizzards/ice = northern half of the country, plus mountainous areas. I'll give you volcano eruptions as being somewhat easy to avoid.

Drought is easy to avoid, as are hurricanes, wildfire, earthquake, tornado, tsunamis, floods, and volcano eruptions.

Now you wish to throw in normal winter too. Well you got me there, good for you. Winter happens.

Winter is a lot easier to deal with, than summer.

Old 07-03-2013, 06:53 PM

11,291 posts, read 18,870,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlaw View Post
silly person-look at a map-Arizona is big and has desert to alpine environments. It's not all cactus! I just saw elk today.
And Flagstaff actually had cold weather and snow and even has cool summer night (because it's one of those "alpine environments")
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut