Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2013, 07:11 PM

8,777 posts, read 19,852,893 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallascaper View Post
I don't know what you mean by that. Homes in Texas are built just like homes here; a wood frame providing structural support. The difference, instead of covering the house with wood, shingles, vinyl, crab shells or whatever crap they use around here, homes in Texas are covered with brick...real brick, fired brick, stuff of the Earth kind of brick. Brick doesn't need regular maintenance, it looks expensive, and it isn't flammable or popular with termites.

It also doesn't come off. You're stuck with it forever.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2013, 07:23 PM

457 posts, read 904,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhxSuns333 View Post
One thing I have to say is, why criticize the architecture here, when its New England's style of architecture (colonial/farmhouse style homes with wood, nice porches, shutters, picket fences, etc.).
I thought the over-the-top tone of my post was an indicator that I was joking. Colonial is OK, there's just so much of it, even with new construction.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratford, Ct. Resident View Post
It also doesn't come off. You're stuck with it forever.
I've seen people paint their brick, which at some point, I am confident they regretted. If one doesn't like their brick, they could hire the local corn-fed football team to come over and pull it down.

Old 04-15-2013, 07:24 PM

4,316 posts, read 4,203,050 times
Quote:
I don't know what you mean by that. Homes in Texas are built just like homes here; a wood frame providing structural support. The difference, instead of covering the house with wood, shingles, vinyl, crab shells or whatever crap they use around here, homes in Texas are covered with brick...real brick, fired brick, stuff of the Earth kind of brick. Brick doesn't need regular maintenance, it looks expensive, and it isn't flammable or popular with termites.
It ain't real brick. It is called a brick-face siding. Basically these are pieces of 1/2" thick brick cut off, and glued to a backing board, panelized. Same as stone-looking Mc Mansions.

If you don't like NE style, which is authentic, no one will judge your taste.

Last edited by JayCT; 04-16-2013 at 06:35 AM.. Reason: Removed flame

Old 04-15-2013, 07:28 PM

8,949 posts, read 12,131,290 times
Really there is no comparison between the overall quality of the housing stock in Connecticut and Texas. Much of Texas housing stocks is built by KB Homes or some other mass builder-- And they just can't build them cheap enough. I've seen particle board on the exterior of lower priced homes in Texas. KB Homes creak and crack when they're new and don't age gracefully.

Texas mass builders build crap-- even if it has a brick facade.

Old 04-15-2013, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry10 View Post
It ain't real brick. It is called a brick-face siding. Basically these are pieces of 1/2" thick brick cut off, and glued to a backing board, panelized. Same as stone-looking Mc Mansions.

If you don't like NE style, which is authentic, no one will judge your taste.
I NEVER saw a house covered with 1/2" thick brick - sounds like something they'd do in New England!

Last edited by JayCT; 04-16-2013 at 06:40 AM.. Reason: Removed response to deleted comment

Old 04-15-2013, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post
Really there is no comparison between the overall quality of the housing stock in Connecticut and Texas. Much of Texas housing stocks is built by KB Homes or some other mass builder-- And they just can't build them cheap enough. .
KB Homes?!?! You got me there.

Old 04-15-2013, 07:34 PM

Quote:
I NEVER saw a house covered with 1/2" thick brick - sounds like something they'd do in New England!
KB Homes
Centex Homes

Biggest Builders in texas. It's ALL facade.

Last edited by JayCT; 04-16-2013 at 06:41 AM.. Reason: Modified quote

Old 04-15-2013, 07:35 PM

Quote:
KB Homes?!?! You got me there.
And built almost entirely with illegal alien labor. Sad but true.

Old 04-15-2013, 07:58 PM

4,316 posts, read 4,203,050 times
Quote:
What, you thought that bricklayers laid all that brick by hand, next to chinese drywall? If they did, that wood framing wouldn't hold it. You know that, right?

They do do it by hand, but it's very expensive, and your Mc Mansions wouldn't be bought with $ 25k a year.

Last edited by JayCT; 04-16-2013 at 06:41 AM.. Reason: Modfied quote

Old 04-15-2013, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry10 View Post
What, you thought that bricklayers laid all that brick by hand, next to chinese drywall? If they did, that wood framing wouldn't hold it. You know that, right?

They do do it by hand, but it's very expensive, and your Mc Mansions wouldn't be bought with $ 25k a year.

Yes, masons - illegals or otherwise - lay the brick one by one. Even my $100K tract house had brick installed that way. If any builder uses 1/2" exterior veneer in Texas, it might be ornamental Austin stone, but rarely brick.

And don't take comments on this board so seriously, I was joking in the first place. You might give the OP the impression that people up north are thin-skinned, take themselves too seriously, and are lacking a sense of humor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut