Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2013, 09:09 PM

2,496 posts, read 4,720,913 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by vellmike View Post
I had the unfortunate experience of driving through Albany Avenue in Hartford a few weeks ago while travelling to Avon. Apparently because it's the most direct route to Avon (I was coming from Storrs), it's why my GPS took me through there.
This happens a lot. Where I work on weekends in Bloomfield, it's right off Granby Street and almost every single Saturday someone says the same thing -- their GPS told them to get off in Hartford, and they end up driving through that same stretch. And for anyone not familiar with that area, it can be very intimidating. I actually take Albany to Blue Hills Ave to get to work, and this particular stretch isn't bad, but keep going east on 44 past Woodland Street (where St. Francis Hospital is) and it gets real nasty. This is the area that most people find frightening (and rightly so.)

But think of it this way -- you got a chance to see a part of Connecticut that most people don't get to see. It's one of the few places I know where you can watch people pee on the street standing up, and so do the men!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vellmike
For future reference, what would be the best exits to take off I-84 if I wanted to travel to West Hartford, Avon, or Simsbury again?
Exits 40 through 44 off I-84 are for West Hartford. To get to Avon or Simsbury, you can take exit 43 and from there take North Main (in WH) to route 44. This stretch is fine, and this will get you to both towns.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2013, 12:53 AM

145 posts, read 314,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikefromCT View Post
This happens a lot. Where I work on weekends in Bloomfield, it's right off Granby Street and almost every single Saturday someone says the same thing -- their GPS told them to get off in Hartford, and they end up driving through that same stretch. And for anyone not familiar with that area, it can be very intimidating. I actually take Albany to Blue Hills Ave to get to work, and this particular stretch isn't bad, but keep going east on 44 past Woodland Street (where St. Francis Hospital is) and it gets real nasty. This is the area that most people find frightening (and rightly so.)

But think of it this way -- you got a chance to see a part of Connecticut that most people don't get to see. It's one of the few places I know where you can watch people pee on the street standing up, and so do the men!
Haha

I'm going to come off as sounding like a wuss, but I start getting nervous when driving through an area and seeing bail bondsman businesses on streets and sketchy looking houses. It was bizarre seeing Albany Avenue turn from pretty crummy looking into something nice when I got into Avon/West Hartford.

I guess I have to my due diligence beforehand whenever I use my GPS to make sure it's not taking me through any less than stellar areas in the future!

Old 04-29-2013, 07:40 AM

2,496 posts, read 4,720,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vellmike View Post
Haha

I'm going to come off as sounding like a wuss, but I start getting nervous when driving through an area and seeing bail bondsman businesses on streets and sketchy looking houses. It was bizarre seeing Albany Avenue turn from pretty crummy looking into something nice when I got into Avon/West Hartford.
You don't sound like a wuss. Alot of people would agree with you. I felt the same way when I first drove down 44 into Hartford, and back then it was actually worse: I remember boarded-up and abandoned houses that have since been demolished, empty storefronts (which still exist, albeit in smaller numbers.) It's still a bad area, but I think officials are realizing that it's been an eyesore for so long now that they're starting to act on it. And when you first cross into Hartford, 44 is actually still nice -- it's the city's west side which is a wealthy area. Once you cross the Park River, that's when it changes.

Old 05-06-2013, 07:44 AM

14 posts, read 14,217 times
Just finished an extensive rental search in the towns mentioned above. Houses for rent in the area : be prepared to spend 1600-2200 in monthly rent. I can send you a list of rental companies not worth calling (as in its been over a week with no call back) and tell you find a rental agent if you want help because none of the houses I looked at had signs saying for rent...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut