Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2013, 06:52 AM

173 posts, read 351,639 times

Advertisements

Hi, All -

I've posted on this site before, but never about a problem. We live on a very pretty suburban block in Southport, CT, and I am constantly hearing the woman who lives there insult her (maybe 7-year old) son. They got a puppy about two months ago and are now screaming at her, too: she's just a pup and is angrily, threateningly yelled at when she tries to leave their yard (which is not fenced in).

Full disclosure: these people are only living here because the husband's dad owns the house. They have sheets up in the windows instead of blinds, the yard is a cluttered mess, and the husband and wife both got arrested on misdemeanor charges for family abuse (he had blood running down his chin when the police arrived).

Is there anything I can do? We're moving within the next 16 months, but until then, I really can't take the stress of seeing the kid and the puppy treated this way, or having to hear the parents screaming at each other.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2013, 06:54 AM

21,616 posts, read 31,180,666 times
Do you hear anything other than screaming? Things being thrown, glass breaking, etc. And have you witnessed them put their hands on the children/puppy?

Old 04-19-2013, 07:00 AM

173 posts, read 351,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
Do you hear anything other than screaming? Things being thrown, glass breaking, etc. And have you witnessed them put their hands on the children/puppy?
Unfortunately, no: just verbal attacks. The misdemeanor was because of the blood, I think, but outside the home all I hear is the yelling.

Old 04-19-2013, 07:04 AM

8,777 posts, read 19,852,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meglion View Post
Unfortunately, no: just verbal attacks. The misdemeanor was because of the blood, I think, but outside the home all I hear is the yelling.
Start making noise complaints then. It's not like Fairfield police don't have the time to come out and respond. LOL.

Old 04-19-2013, 07:19 AM

Yeah, I agree with SCR. Start calling for noise complaints and if the officers feel there is more to investigate, they will.

Definitely don't approach these people with your concerns.

Old 04-19-2013, 10:13 AM

363 posts, read 635,000 times
Seriously?!??!? Calling the cops because they yell at their dog???? Yes they are probably trash but seriously I'm sure we've all had neighbors that we didn't enjoy living next too. If you want to make their life miserable call the blight officer on the mess in their yard. We can't have people lowering property values in the Port!

Old 04-19-2013, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FILF View Post
Seriously?!??!? Calling the cops because they yell at their dog????
And their children. And each other. Given that they were arrested for a domestic before, neighbors should keep a watchful eye on them.

Old 04-19-2013, 10:34 AM

21,722 posts, read 28,048,669 times
Quote:
We can't have people lowering property values in the Port!
I'm pretty sure no one incident of blight could ever shake those prodigious values.

Old 04-19-2013, 10:48 AM

837 posts, read 2,081,689 times
Quote:
Seriously?!??!? Calling the cops because they yell at their dog???? Yes they are probably trash but seriously I'm sure we've all had neighbors that we didn't enjoy living next too. If you want to make their life miserable call the blight officer on the mess in their yard. We can't have people lowering property values in the Port!
I don't think this post is about property value. This post is about a concern for the safety of the child and puppy.

In my opinion, I would have Fairfield PD's number readily available for the next time that a verbal outbreak takes place. Call the PD right away, let them know that it is ultimately a noise complaint, and that you think the child and puppy are the receipients of the verbal attacks.

My guess is that Fairfield PD already has this house on file as a risk for domestic abuse, and that the Department of Children & Families already knows something is up in this household. However, I would also consider a proactive call to DCF just incase they do not know about this.

Usually, child and animal abuse are precursors to other, more severe, levels of violence.

Have you spoken to any other fellow neighbors? If so, do they agree with you about unhealthy activities emerging from this household?

Old 04-19-2013, 11:19 AM

163 posts, read 240,475 times
Quote:
Yeah, screw the kids and the pup. These folks are bringing down home values. That's why you should call the police.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut