U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2013, 02:28 PM

1 posts, read 3,453 times

Advertisements

I'm looking to relocate to Fairfield County and would like information as to which communities would be the best for my particular wants/needs. I'm looking for a diverse community in terms of its ethnic makeup, great public schools, and reasonably priced housing to purchase (small houses or free-standing town-houses/condos). I will be commuting into NYC for work so being close to Metro North line is important.

I've heard that Fairfield and Trumbull are the towns that I should focus on.
Can anyone give me insight on where might fit the bill?

Thanks for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2013, 02:30 PM

8,950 posts, read 9,810,600 times
Really need to know your budget. Fairfield County is one of the most expensive in the country. Happy to help, but need more info.

Trumbull and Fairfield are both wonderful communities.

Old 04-19-2013, 02:34 PM

14,713 posts, read 17,933,283 times
These are not ethnically diverse communities by any means. Fairfield is 93.6% white and Trumbull is marginally more diverse at 85.7% white. They are good towns though. I agree we need to know your budget to make real recommendations.

Old 04-19-2013, 02:45 PM

8,780 posts, read 16,240,408 times
You're going to be extremely limited in your choices within FFC, regardless of your budget. A town with "great" schools and diversity is hard to come by. Perhaps the Tunxis Hill neighborhood of Fairfield may fit the bill for what you're seeking.

Old 04-19-2013, 03:51 PM

8,830 posts, read 14,231,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
These are not ethnically diverse communities by any means. Fairfield is 93.6% white and Trumbull is marginally more diverse at 85.7% white. They are good towns though. I agree we need to know your budget to make real recommendations.
Whether it's people from Bridgeport "sneaking into" the schools (lots of threads on that, so won't go more on it here) or perhaps there's a bit more diversity in the youth population vs. the population at large, I would say from experience working in the Trumbull schools that (especially in the high school and at Frenchtown Elementary), it's more diverse than the numbers say. Yeah, they are still "majority white" schools by any means but I've definitely seen significant diversity, and not just Asians either (the stereotype being that they are most of the "non-whites" you see in suburban districts).

I've heard similar things about Fairfield from a friend or two who lives there, but I don't know enough in terms of personal observation and the 93 vs. 85% given above would make me think it is NOT so in the way Trumbull is.

Trumbull may be a good place for you, but keep in mind that you'd probably have to drive to a Metro North station from it, it's a tiny bit inland from the Sound and not directly on a Metro North. There are neighborhoods in Fairfield right near Metro North though.

Old 04-19-2013, 05:23 PM

4,771 posts, read 7,490,512 times
Stamford fits the bill in the ethnic diversity department. The schools are good (not great, but good), and the cost of housing is reasonable when the area is taken into consideration. Also, Stamford is served by Metro North, we even have an express train that goes from our train station straight to Manhattan making two stops, one in Harlem (125th St) and the other final one at Grand Central. The trip takes roughly 40 minutes, about as close to NYC as a Connecticut resident can be (well, Greenwich is closer, but then you will have to go to the Stamford Station anyway if you want to take the express train.)

Stamford has different environments to choose from, from urban to exurban and every type of settlement type in between.

Old 04-19-2013, 05:34 PM

8,780 posts, read 16,240,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antonio84 View Post
Stamford fits the bill in the ethnic diversity department. The schools are good (not great, but good), and the cost of housing is reasonable when the area is taken into consideration.

If Stamford schools are "good", then Stratford schools must be great!!! Not.

Seriously man, if you're going to post inaccurately, don't bother posting at all.

I'd like to petition C-D to institute a negative rep mechanism............

Old 04-19-2013, 05:43 PM

4,771 posts, read 7,490,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratford, Ct. Resident View Post
If Stamford schools are "good", then Stratford schools must be great!!! Not.

Seriously man, if you're going to post inaccurately, don't bother posting at all.

I'd like to petition C-D to institute a negative rep mechanism............
Its not inaccurate when someone is a product of that school system and has done more than even I expected for myself and pretty much the same can be said of all my former classmates with whom I have kept contact with. Some even followed me through college (I'm sure they think I followed them, but whatever...)

There are people in this website that think Stamford schools are a recipe for failure and that the success stories are few and far between. Now that is what could be considered further from the truth.

For Pete's sake, I work with people that graduated from public schools in surrounding towns. Funny how we all ended up working at the same place. According to some here, this shouldn't had happened. LOL

Old 04-19-2013, 05:50 PM

34 posts, read 61,705 times
"ethnic makeup, great public schools"

Choose one.

Old 04-19-2013, 06:27 PM

5,528 posts, read 8,184,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by traciegirl View Post
I'm looking to relocate to Fairfield County and would like information as to which communities would be the best for my particular wants/needs. I'm looking for a diverse community in terms of its ethnic makeup, great public schools, and reasonably priced housing to purchase (small houses or free-standing town-houses/condos). I will be commuting into NYC for work so being close to Metro North line is important.

I've heard that Fairfield and Trumbull are the towns that I should focus on.
Can anyone give me insight on where might fit the bill?

Thanks for your help!
I live in Fairfield and commute to New York City. A NYC commute from Fairfield is marginal, and significantly worse from Trumbull. Fairfield has sections near the Metro-North stations, but Trumbull is miles away from a train station.

I'm afraid it is difficult to find good schools in a diverse community, especially if you're constrained by housing prices.

What is your price range? Fairfield is a great town and I love it, but I wouldn't really call it ethnically diverse. It's over 90% white and the school composition is similar, though there is a small pocket of relatively diversity in one section -- Tunxis HIll. Tunxis Hill has a nice school that is fairly diverse and the parents and students of all backgrounds seem happy with it.

Stratford is diverse and you could consider it, but it's a longer commute to New York. You could also consider Norwalk, but the schools there are marginal. Same with Stamford. I'm not sure exactly what your criteria are, but Norwalk and Stamford are ethnically diverse, and their schools are much better than Bridgeport.

One possibility is a modest section of Greenwich. Greenwich has the best commute, and it has a certain amount of diversity. The schools are more diverse than the town as a whole because many of the richest white people send their kids to private school.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or