Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2013, 01:04 PM

34,930 posts, read 56,924,455 times

Advertisements

You have to look at what they are saying more closely. When they say Bridgeport, they mean the Bridgeport-Stamford statistical area. If you look at their list of worst highways, I-95 from Greenwich to Fairfield comes up at No. 42 in the country. The worst is the Cross Bronx Expressway in NY followed by I-405 in LA. A number of highways from major cities including Chicago, Miami, Dallas and Washington DC. You can check the list on the link below.

INRIX National Traffic Scorecard

Also the data is based on INRIX's comprehensive commuter traffic monitoring system which monitors traffic using the same methodology across the country. So this can be used for comparison purposes between major highways. I am not saying I-95 is bad but according to INRIX there are a lot of other highways that are worst. Jay
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2013, 01:32 PM

837 posts, read 2,082,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
You have to look at what they are saying more closely. When they say Bridgeport, they mean the Bridgeport-Stamford statistical area. If you look at their list of worst highways, I-95 from Greenwich to Fairfield comes up at No. 42 in the country. The worst is the Cross Bronx Expressway in NY followed by I-405 in LA. A number of highways from major cities including Chicago, Miami, Dallas and Washington DC. You can check the list on the link below.

INRIX National Traffic Scorecard

Also the data is based on INRIX's comprehensive commuter traffic monitoring system which monitors traffic using the same methodology across the country. So this can be used for comparison purposes between major highways. I am not saying I-95 is bad but according to INRIX there are a lot of other highways that are worst. Jay
I would agree. Cross Bronx Expressway and/or George Washington Bridge is to be avoided whenever I am in that area. In comparison, Fairfield County highways are smooth like butter.

If anything, I am surprised that the traffic metric only covers up to Mill Plain Road in Fairfield (Exit 21 off of I-95). IMO, the traffic goes all the way up to the Route 8/25 Connector (Exit 27A) because folks are merging into the long lane of cars waiting to hop onto the other highway.

Old 04-26-2013, 02:12 PM

21,619 posts, read 31,197,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Comp625 View Post
If anything, I am surprised that the traffic metric only covers up to Mill Plain Road in Fairfield (Exit 21 off of I-95). IMO, the traffic goes all the way up to the Route 8/25 Connector (Exit 27A) because folks are merging into the long lane of cars waiting to hop onto the other highway.
Yeah - that's one of the worst parts of the stretch (going by Black Rock Tpk).

Old 04-26-2013, 02:41 PM

83,514 posts, read 75,277,900 times
Maybe nobody realized something... Ummm, take a look at the "length" of traffic in miles.

Thats a little more like it. Not 42nd place. I wonder what place Bridgeport area falls in regards to that. I think D.C and the I-5 in LA beats them only.

Also look at the travel time in minutes. Yup. Longer travel time than the #1 spot of this year or last year.

Old 04-26-2013, 02:48 PM

34,930 posts, read 56,924,455 times
I do not think the column for length necessarily means the length of traffic congestion. I think it just means the length of the section of highway. Besides the ranking seems to be a weighed average of travel time, speed and delay. Jay

Old 04-26-2013, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
I do not think the column for length necessarily means the length of traffic congestion. I think it just means the length of the section of highway. Besides the ranking seems to be a weighed average of travel time, speed and delay. Jay
Jay, I think you're right by saying that's the length in miles of the stretch, but this graph points out how long the congested stretch lasts. In this case, they're saying the bad traffic in LA lasts 8 miles on the 405. They're also saying that the bad traffic in CT lasts 22 miles. They are not just picking random points on a highway here. This goes right along with what I've been saying (and what some people on this board refuse to believe) - the LA traffic is short in mileage but almost at a standstill, while the CT traffic is stop and inch forward for an entire 22 miles. There is almost no break in the traffic for that stretch during rush hour, especially on Fridays. Period.

Next time DW sees the sign "Delay, next 30 miles", I will be sure to post the photo so you can see it.

It amazes me, and frankly it's frustrating, that people will do everything in their power to discount the traffic on 95 when it's clear that it's among the worst in the nation. When they commute on it daily, I will take their opinion more seriously.

Last edited by kidyankee764; 04-26-2013 at 07:30 PM..

Old 04-26-2013, 07:43 PM

3,350 posts, read 4,167,368 times
I know many folks that drive it everyday. It's not a fun trip but most days it really is 40-45 minutes from greenwich to Fairfield. The Merritt is a bit quicker. But there are pain days. Heavy rain, snow or a tractor trailer accident and the trip blows out to 2 hrs. I find the comments from the daily commuters reflect personas. Habitual complainers will paint it as purgatory while more level headed folks underestimate. That said the cross Bronx, van wyck and belt parkway in NYC are much worse even if the span is shorter. These roads are often impaired at all hours and not just rush hour and Sunday afternoons a la CT

Old 04-27-2013, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilton2ParkAve View Post
I know many folks that drive it everyday. It's not a fun trip but most days it really is 40-45 minutes from greenwich to Fairfield. The Merritt is a bit quicker. But there are pain days. Heavy rain, snow or a tractor trailer accident and the trip blows out to 2 hrs. I find the comments from the daily commuters reflect personas. Habitual complainers will paint it as purgatory while more level headed folks underestimate. That said the cross Bronx, van wyck and belt parkway in NYC are much worse even if the span is shorter. These roads are often impaired at all hours and not just rush hour and Sunday afternoons a la CT
Then I guess you're "level-headed" because you're underestimating. On most days during rush hour, from Greenwich to Black Rock takes about an hour. On the occasional Tuesday during the winter months, you might be able to get by without any serious traffic. All it takes is a few raindrops or a snow flurry, and it can take up to 70-90 minutes.

Again, if you don't regularly drive the route from Greenwich to Bridgeport, which you don't, you can't accurately comment on it. I know this trip like the back of my hand.

Old 04-27-2013, 07:51 AM

3,350 posts, read 4,167,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
Then I guess you're "level-headed" because you're underestimating. On most days during rush hour, from Greenwich to Black Rock takes about an hour. On the occasional Tuesday during the winter months, you might be able to get by without any serious traffic. All it takes is a few raindrops or a snow flurry, and it can take up to 70-90 minutes.

Again, if you don't regularly drive the route from Greenwich to Bridgeport, which you don't, you can't accurately comment on it. I know this trip like the back of my hand.
I did it for four years. Arch street to route 8. 45-50 is spot on. 4 commutes the entire duration exceeded 2 hours and less than 15 surpassed 90 minutes. Adding to support, this was pre financial crisis when more cars were on the road.

Old 04-27-2013, 08:09 AM

83,514 posts, read 75,277,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
Jay, I think you're right by saying that's the length in miles of the stretch, but this graph points out how long the congested stretch lasts. In this case, they're saying the bad traffic in LA lasts 8 miles on the 405. They're also saying that the bad traffic in CT lasts 22 miles. They are not just picking random points on a highway here. This goes right along with what I've been saying (and what some people on this board refuse to believe) - the LA traffic is short in mileage but almost at a standstill, while the CT traffic is stop and inch forward for an entire 22 miles. There is almost no break in the traffic for that stretch during rush hour, especially on Fridays. Period.

Next time DW sees the sign "Delay, next 30 miles", I will be sure to post the photo so you can see it.

It amazes me, and frankly it's frustrating, that people will do everything in their power to discount the traffic on 95 when it's clear that it's among the worst in the nation. When they commute on it daily, I will take their opinion more seriously.
Great post all together. I'm baffled at some comments on here and its sad to see that some still dont know the traffic is actually more than a 20 mile stretch. Next time I dare venture on that road I'll take a picture of the sign as well. Those who dont travel on it constantly have a natural nieve opinion on the issue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut