Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2013, 01:29 PM

71 posts, read 162,033 times

Advertisements

We are moving to Wilton soon and I was wondering about Lyme disease. My dog isn't on anything for fleas and ticks down here in Charlotte, but once we move I'm thinking I should start using something like Frontline on her. Is there a "Lyme season" as in I need to apply from say April to November, or do dogs need it year round?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2013, 01:31 PM

21,618 posts, read 31,186,278 times
Use Frontline and Heartguard regularly, especially if your dog will be outside a lot.

Old 05-01-2013, 01:39 PM

370 posts, read 608,462 times
OP, why wouldn't you apply Frontline on your dog to protect from ticks and fleas regardless? North Carolina is probably more prevalent than in the northeast.

Old 05-01-2013, 01:53 PM

We haven't had a flea problem since moving from FL to Charlotte so I stopped using it. Never had a tick problem either. The house in Wilton is 2.5 wooded acres so I'm assuming ticks will be more prevalent. She is already on Heartguard.

Old 05-01-2013, 02:16 PM

370 posts, read 608,462 times
[quote=CLTrunner;29377483]We haven't had a flea problem since moving from FL to Charlotte so I stopped using it. Never had a tick problem either. The house in Wilton is 2.5 wooded acres so I'm assuming ticks will be more prevalent. She is already on Heartguard.[/QUOTE

yeah, Frontline will be essential for you in Wilton. I live in Newtown and I have my Golden Retrievers on it from April until first snowfall. Make sure that Frontline makes skin contact and you should be ok.

Old 05-02-2013, 09:58 AM

48 posts, read 91,717 times
I would apply it year round, I found a tick on my dog in decemeber and it was 35 degrees.

Old 05-02-2013, 10:07 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,016,638 times
Oftentimes, Frontline isn't effective enough, or it loses its efficacy after many months or years of use. K9 Advantix II is what I switched to and it works well.

My vet told me that I could skip the application during the cold months, but in light of what yankees28 just said: better safe than sorry. I mean, we'd all rather just pay for the preventative instead of having to pay for the vet visit and med cost if your dog should contract Lyme. Not to mention that it can be very painful for the pup. So, yeah, apply it year-round.

Old 05-02-2013, 12:44 PM

453 posts, read 1,535,510 times
We were just at our vet yesterday because our dog broke her paw. They said there is a vaccine available for Lyme now so we will be starting her on that in addition to the Frontline.

Old 05-02-2013, 02:44 PM

83,502 posts, read 75,252,292 times
My dog is only outside with me when I'm out there and she's the type not to wonder a lot. But We do a lot of walking around the area, also hiking and swimming in rivers and parks. Never had a problem with fleas but I do pull ticks of her occasionally. Some were engorged in. I use frontline sometimes. Mostly in summer months.

Frontline supposedly is the best preventative if you're worried. Im skeptical about the shots.

As far as when... its one of many reasons I like Winters. Ticks are mostly around Spring, Summer and Fall and probably active in May and October/November when deers are active.

If your good at it you can spot them. I saw one this morning moving some sticks off my front porch. The thing was hopping and skipping untill I killed it.

One last thing... spray the property with the stuff that kills insects and ticks. At least you'll feel safe in your own backyard.

Old 05-02-2013, 06:04 PM

My dog went into anaphylactic shock 3 different times after vaccinations with increasing severity, so I don't vaccinate her at all anymore. I get a special exemption from the vet every year I have to send into the state for rabies.

I'll keep in mind Frontline doesn't work after years of use. I think we'll be OK since we haven't used it on her since 2008. She is a small short haired dog (Boston Terrier) so it's easier to spot fleas and ticks on her but I'd definitely like to have her something most of the year. Thanks everyone for the tips.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut