Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2013, 06:26 AM

8 posts, read 5,846 times

Advertisements

Hello. I read this board but never post. I'm sorry that my first post is complaining, but here it goes.

I live in East Haven. I moved here from Virginia last year and like my neighborhood. 6 months ago the house at the end of our street was bought by thugs and since then, they have been selling beater cars parked at the end of the street. I believe this is on town property. I called the number advertised on the car and asked them to stop parking cars there, because we have an otherwise nice neighborhood and its not a used car lot.

I have asked some people at work what to so. Some said call DMV. Some said call the town. I was thinking about calling the police.

What can I do so my neighborhood doesn't look like its a chop shop?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2013, 06:37 AM

13,250 posts, read 42,651,549 times
Call the police. Only thing though - you've already confronted the "thugs." And if they really are "thugs" as you say (which is entirely possible), they will think (and rightly so) that if the police come, it's because you called them.

That's the problem with confronting a problem that isn't "your" problem specifically. They aren't parking their cars on your property, so it's not *your* personal problem. It's still a problem - because it lowers the property value of everyone on the street, it's unsightly, and it's low-class. But until they bring it over your property line, it's not something you should be handling yourself.

Really though, the only thing you can do at this point is to call the police. If these cars aren't registered, then they will have them removed and the owners fined.

Old 05-02-2013, 06:40 AM

Thanks Anon. Yes it is really low class and very annoying! Since its on town property, I wonder if the town could do anything. If so, who would I contact at the town hall?

I feel like the police won't want to be bothered with a petty complaint.

Old 05-02-2013, 06:42 AM

21,546 posts, read 30,960,631 times
You have a few options.

First, I agree with Anon- you'll want to contact the PD. They can check for registration, and if not registered, they'll remove them. If they ARE registered (which is unlikely), then they cannot do anything about it because the complaint didn't come from the town. In that case, you'll have to contact the town since it's their property and not yours.

I would also advise you to tell the police you previously contacted the party to ask them to remove the cars, just so they have that on record.

Second, if none of the above helps, you can contact the DMV to report the vehicles and they will investigate to see if they have a license to sell. I think if they're selling more than 6 cars a year, they need a permit. Don't quote me on that, but it's in the ballpark.

Are other neighbors complaining too?

Old 05-02-2013, 06:51 AM

Thank you kidyankee.

Yeah other neighbors are not happy but most are elderly and feel intimidated so won't do anything. But I'm not intimidated lol. Also these guys don't know who I am. I just called them from my cellphone so they won't have any idea who called.

They also sit out front and smoke pot all day. Doesn't bother me as long as they aren't causing trouble but that just shows you what kid of people they are.

Old 05-02-2013, 06:52 AM

363 posts, read 631,889 times
I'm not 100% positive but I believe if you sell more than six cars in a calendar year by law you need a dealer license. You may also try to contact your zoning office.

Old 05-02-2013, 06:54 AM

Thanks filf. Yeah they already sold about 12 in the past 3-4 months.

Old 05-02-2013, 06:56 AM

You guys are extremely helpful. I'll make a few calls today and see where it goes.

Old 05-02-2013, 07:01 AM

13,250 posts, read 42,651,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeedHelpPlease7 View Post
Thank you kidyankee.

Yeah other neighbors are not happy but most are elderly and feel intimidated so won't do anything. But I'm not intimidated lol. Also these guys don't know who I am. I just called them from my cellphone so they won't have any idea who called.

They also sit out front and smoke pot all day. Doesn't bother me as long as they aren't causing trouble but that just shows you what kid of people they are.
Okay wait so their doing some illegal activities in plain sight of the neighborhood doesn't bother you, but doing other illegal activities in plain sight of the neighborhood does? Hm..makes me wonder if maybe that's why you're dismissing the idea of calling the police, and pushing the idea of calling the town or the DMV.

Do yourself a favor - put your plants in the basement, and call the police.

Old 05-02-2013, 07:04 AM

4,316 posts, read 4,173,203 times
If you got a problem with someone at the end of the street, don't waste your time dealing with them (which you did.) This is a zoning and licensing issue. Call the town, let them investigate that they're selling cars illegally, zoning-wise. If DMV licenses used-car dealers, then call DMV, like others said. But find out first. This is not yet a police matter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut