U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2007, 04:25 PM

330 posts, read 967,851 times
Default Speaking of Black

what's up with the Black squirrels? I've seen 3 here so far - and I'm always surprised. I wonder if the Black squirrels have to deal with the Greenwich class and race issues as well?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2007, 04:27 PM

330 posts, read 967,851 times
Hmm - looks like they're from our Canadian friends originally
An Exotic Evolution

Old 10-31-2007, 04:38 PM

4,455 posts, read 2,218,399 times
Interesting

we just have run of the mill Grey ones around here. I would like to see a black one on the rear patio. For now its the feral cats, birds- and ??

Old 10-31-2007, 05:33 PM

575 posts, read 2,163,756 times
I've never seen a black one, but I would be curious to. I think its funny they thought the squirrel population was going to go down..there are so many! And this quote is just hilarious..could you imagine??

Quote:
Flyger devoted himself to studying squirrels because, as he explains it, they weigh less than a deer and don't bite like a polar bear. He used to smear a tree behind his Silver Spring home with a mixture of peanut butter and Valium and then tattoo the squirrels that he found passed out below.

And look...

Old 11-01-2007, 07:13 AM

234 posts, read 503,012 times
We've got a few black ones and I recently spotted a pink-eyed white squirrel as well... too bad I wasn't as quick with my camera as glxyman! They're fun to watch - though I can't say the same about our resident chipmunk, who insists on making golf-ball sized holes in the backyard...

I take it New England has no red squirrels, the sort that scurry all over the place in Yosemite & parts of Northern CA?

Old 11-01-2007, 08:32 AM

2,393 posts, read 5,015,759 times
There are red squirrels in New England. I can't remember ever seeing any in Connecticut but have them while in upstate NY, Mass. and Vermont.

Old 11-06-2007, 10:30 PM
sun

683 posts, read 1,482,630 times
Default The Black Squirrels of Westfield, MA

Quote:
The black squirrel, which is found abundantly in Westfield, Massachusetts, is actually very rare in this country. (There are 10,000 "other-colored-squirrels" for each black one.) Some people believe that seeing a black squirrel will bring good luck. Others just find enjoyment watching these playful little bundles of energy as they scamper amid Westfield's old oaks. Of course, these furry black creatures have also been known to attack bird feeders, ravage gardens, gnaw on wires or cables, and even chase humans to try to tug on their shoelaces.

The Profusion of black squirrels in Westfield is a curious phenomenon. As the story goes, they were first brought here in 1948 as a gift to Frank Stanley Beveridge, the founder of Stanley Park. Six of the squirrels were released in the park, where they thrived. Their population grew, and today they can be found all over Westfield

https://www.theblacksquirrel.com/
Black squirrels are the melanistic phase of the gray squirrel. Gray squirrels also have a red phase. There are pockets of them in CT and are slightly more common in Northwestern CT closer to MA I believe. I have 2 black squirrels mounted from Torrington, CT but have heard of some downstate closer to NYC also. There are vast areas of solid black squirrels in a part of Ohio too (near Kent).
The Red squirrel is also somewhat more common in parts of inland and northern CT and they generally live where there are stands of pine trees. Their gray squirrel cousins usually live in the hardwood trees. Rural CT residents usually see more of them if they live closer to the piney areas.

Old 12-13-2007, 05:28 PM

15 posts, read 39,772 times
I've seen red ones around here too.

Old 01-02-2008, 06:08 AM

15 posts, read 39,772 times
I dunno...where I am I see mostly grey, but black and red squirrels every so often.

Old 01-02-2008, 09:42 AM

395 posts, read 1,376,611 times
I've been regularly seeing black squirrels in a couple of areas in Trumbull the last few months. I saw a white one in Shelton a few years ago. And I've never seen a red squirrel in Connecticut, but my dh swears he has.

Apparently we also have flying squirrels, a few of my neighbors have found dead ones after cats got them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut