Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2013, 05:36 AM

2,643 posts, read 2,624,013 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by awt1972 View Post
Thank-you for the compliment The only person who loses when the parents are at each other's throats is the child. That's why we work together. And I refuse to waste energy on anger, there is nothing to be gained. Seen too many divorcees constantly fighting. Besides, lawyers are expensive
I've seen a few doozies too. You need to write a manual.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2013, 07:27 AM

21,620 posts, read 31,207,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
What?? Sorry but that is not true at all. EVERY Saturday afternoon from May through September, 95N is backed up from about 11 am - 2 pm between Milford and Guilford. I drove south today to do shopping in Milford and I took some photos of northbound traffic for you so you can see for yourself. I'll post them tomorrow.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratford, Ct. Resident View Post
I very rarely travel between 11-2 on a Saturday on 95. But i'm positive that the last 2 times that i did, traffic was a mess in Milford and Orange. I noted it because i'm a 5-day a week commuter down county and i was like: "WTF is this on a Saturday afternoon"?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilton2ParkAve View Post
My two cents is that I agree with kid and Stratford. On Saturday afternoon, i95 is a mess going north of Milford until guilford. More often tha not.
Yes, here are the photos I took on Saturday around 11:30 am heading south in West Haven and Orange. Northbound traffic was bumper to bumper between Milford and East Haven. You can also see a perfect example of some fine Connecticut tailgating in the first photo - red Impala! (photos are large - sorry)

Old 05-13-2013, 07:41 AM

21,756 posts, read 28,086,032 times
I guess any traffic I've hit there didn't phase me because I'm used to FFC traffic.

Old 05-13-2013, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
I guess any traffic I've hit there didn't phase me because I'm used to FFC traffic.
Yeah - traffic between Greenwich and Norwalk is similarly bad on Saturday afternoons in the summer.

Old 05-13-2013, 02:13 PM

I'm genuinely curious to see what happens when the bridge is done. The bridge itself (both spans) are scheduled to be finished next year, and the whole 91/95 interchange by 2015.

Old 05-13-2013, 02:20 PM

Quote:
I'm genuinely curious to see what happens when the bridge is done. The bridge itself (both spans) are scheduled to be finished next year, and the whole 91/95 interchange by 2015.
I wonder this every time I drive over the bridge.

Old 05-13-2013, 07:21 PM

I'm glad they are "overdoing" it, instead of every other road works project in our state in the past 50 years that seems to seek to accomodate current traffic or even less.

5 lanes each way, plus 2 full-sized gutter lines might seem like overkill - but it's the only way to be future-ready and truly tackle the current traffic problem.

Old 05-14-2013, 09:30 AM
dkv

96 posts, read 156,633 times
Quote:
The whole other span in 18 months? I am skeptical. They still have to demo the existing, then drive pilings, then put up a bridge. The roadway isn't even complete on the north side of the new (southern) span.

Old 07-10-2013, 11:13 PM

642 posts, read 859,012 times
Hi Awt,

I live in Trumbull but I am originally from Stamford. My husband and I and I have a lot of experience in driving to jobs from Trumbull down to points south on the Merrit and 95 for work, shopping and seeing relatives. Thank goodness for the most part we both work in the Trumbull area now. I need to go to Norwalk once a week to give a Music Therapy session. Here is my advice.....

move as close to posible to Norwalk as you can.

There really are not "off peak" hours anymore. I leave for Norwalk at 12:00 and come home around 2:30 and you would think the ride would be good at that hour but most days it is not. It seems like there is constant traffic now from Stamford to New Haven most days. I don't go down to the Stamford area that much anymore to see my brother and friends because the traffic is always so bad now.

I have friends and relatives in just about every city and town in Fairfield County and here are some very nice ones that are the closest to Norwalk.

Darien/Rowayton: these are right next to Norwalk and have beaches. I have cousins in both towns and with your budget you could get a house there but just not a big one. If had had your budget I would consider these towns especially if your children like horses. They have the Ox Ridge Hunt Club in Darien.

Westport: also a beach town with a great creative friendly vibe. Many of my creative friends live in Westport and I love it there. There are a lot of actors, musicians and artists living in Westport. If I had your budget I personally would move to Westport. You can find houses in your price range but they are not going to be mansions. You can take back roads into Norwalk and you don't have to worry about traffic.

Fairfield: another great town on the water very close to Norwalk. You can easily take back roads into Norwalk too from Fairfield. You can find tons of nice houses in your price range in Fairfield.

Wilton and Weston are also very nice towns but more rural and north of the Norwalk area. They don't have beaches but they are great towns with great schools too.

Good Luck with your search. Let us know where you land.

Old 07-11-2013, 06:54 AM

109 posts, read 161,107 times
Thanks for your thoughts CTartist&musician!

I've been in CT a lot over the summer, and would agree with your comments. I ruled out Darien as I'd be spending right at the top of my budget. Plus they don't allow dogs on the beaches at any point during the year. And my ex is in Rowayton, it was a little *too* close
I toured Ridgefield and Wilton this past weekend and while they are beautiful, they feel a little like my current town and I think I would feel too isolated. I need a change.

I'm focused on just Fairfield and Westport now. I have found the perfect house in Fairfield, walking distance to the beach, and I got to talk to some residents in that area who all seem to love it.

Now I just need to sell my house........
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut