Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-13-2013, 02:41 PM

21,536 posts, read 27,777,238 times

Advertisements

Plainboro is demographically in line with Orange.
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2013, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilton2ParkAve View Post
Have you spent considerable time in Princeton? If so, are we talking Princeton boro, Princeton proper, Princeton junction?
A friend's parents lived in Princeton proper, and I stayed with them a few times. This is probably 10 years ago. Really nice town, certainly seemed wealthy, but I can't say it's anything like Woodbridge or Westport. Affluent demographics are only one piece of the puzzle.

Old 05-13-2013, 02:55 PM

140 posts, read 257,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
I'm not talking about just traffic congestion, I'm talking about how busy the town is overall - even on side roads. We can agree to disagree, but you (and others) who continue to say "you don't live/work here, you don't know it", really aren't helping your case. I've lived in the greater Milford area for years and know firsthand how the town is. You seem to forget that many in the region are very familiar with Milford inside and out - these same people can take advantage of Milford's downtown by driving only 10 minutes. It is not a small town that nobody knows about unless they live there.

Don't get me wrong. Milford is a solid town with good schools. But when people are searching for top performing schools, sorry but I cannot recommend Milford. It's also frustrating when I see another poster recommend Milford in nearly every post, even when the individual is looking at Madison/Westport and the like. Give me a break.

We will have to agree to disagree.
kidyankee764, I am entitled to recommend wherever I feel can in some way, shape, or form benefit the OP. In this case, Milford could be an option as their education programs are strong (for those who suffer certain conditions, or need help in certain areas). Other times, I've recommended it as an additional place to look if the OP had trouble finding something in other areas. If you don't like how I recommend Milford "too often", then ignore my posts. But if I feel its worth the recommendation for the OP, I will recommend it. Stop telling me what I should post and what I should recommend. We are adults, therefore we make our own decisions, and decide which places we want to recommend based on our knowledge of the area. If the OP specifically says they don't want anything to do with a town like Milford, then I won't recommend it, but if some of the things on their list of wants/needs can be found in Milford, then its worth mentioning as a place for the OP to considering taking a glance at. Only the OP can decide if they like or dislike certain towns/cities. Thank you.

Back to the topic at hand, Orange is also a decent place the OP can consider looking into, as you'll be right by Milford's great amenities, but have a stronger school district. I do agree however that it is hard to find rentals within that budget, which is why I think Milford is a decent option. Milford's schools perform slightly above average, and I hear the education programs they offer are good. Traffic in Milford isn't as bad as some people on here make it out to be. I agree with Stylo on this one, and I am driving a lot both during the week and the weekend in Milford. During the week, Milford isn't that busy and traffic isn't much of an issue. On the weekend, the worst area for traffic would be from the mall all the way to Costco, and some side streets can get quite a bit of traffic on occasion, although its not too bad. I agree with kidyankee764 in the sense that Milford is busier than towns like Guilford, Madison, etc., but Milford is very suburban, while those towns are more rural, so its expected that Milford will be a little busier and there will be more cars on the road. However I wouldn't say Milford is congested either (as most areas at most times are not).

Old 05-13-2013, 03:02 PM

Yeah, I really don't want to continue the argument, but I feel like it could unfairly sway the OP against Milford or even Orange - I drive around Milford A LOT during the weekend and on days off where I have errands. I drive a manual M3 and hate traffic more than anyone. It is simply not an issue on any streets in Milford. I had all of last week off between jobs, did a ton of errands and didn't encounter ANY traffic once. On Route 1, through downtown, anywhere. The only places I've experienced traffic regularly is the area by the mall on weekends. Even traffic lights don't back up much. During my commute, I had no backups in the morning, and coming home the intersection after Exit 35 by Wendy's would sometimes require stopping at the light for more than a couple rotations.

I regularly encountered traffic in the Danbury area more often on commercial roads.

So, yeah, we'll have to agree to disagree.

Old 05-13-2013, 03:02 PM

21,544 posts, read 30,960,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhxSuns333 View Post
kidyankee764, I am entitled to recommend wherever I feel can in some way, shape, or form benefit the OP. In this case, Milford could be an option as their education programs are strong (for those who suffer certain conditions, or need help in certain areas). Other times, I've recommended it as an additional place to look if the OP had trouble finding something in other areas. If you don't like how I recommend Milford "too often", then ignore my posts. But if I feel its worth the recommendation for the OP, I will recommend it. Stop telling me what I should post and what I should recommend. We are adults, therefore we make our own decisions, and decide which places we want to recommend based on our knowledge of the area. If the OP specifically says they don't want anything to do with a town like Milford, then I won't recommend it, but if some of the things on their list of wants/needs can be found in Milford, then its worth mentioning as a place for the OP to considering taking a glance at. Only the OP can decide if they like or dislike certain towns/cities. Thank you.
And I am entitled to disagree with you.

Quote:
Milford's schools perform slightly above average, and I hear the education programs they offer are good.
What kind of programs? Not disagreeing with you - just wondering what programs Milford offers over Amity, Guilford and Madison? Or even Branford and Stratford?

Quote:
Traffic in Milford isn't as bad as some people on here make it out to be. I agree with Stylo on this one, and I am driving a lot both during the week and the weekend in Milford. During the week, Milford isn't that busy and traffic isn't much of an issue. On the weekend, the worst area for traffic would be from the mall all the way to Costco, and some side streets can get quite a bit of traffic on occasion, although its not too bad.
I'm glad that you can admit that side streets in Milford can be busy.

Quote:
I agree with kidyankee764 in the sense that Milford is busier than towns like Guilford, Madison, etc., but Milford is very suburban, while those towns are more rural, so its expected that Milford will be a little busier and there will be more cars on the road.
A lot more cars. As stated previously, don't forget that Milford is a shopping/entertainment destination for people from Monroe to Naugatuck to Guilford.

Old 05-13-2013, 03:05 PM

Quote:
What kind of programs? Not disagreeing with you - just wondering what programs Milford offers over Amity, Guilford and Madison? Or even Branford and Stratford?
Have heard good things about their alternative school from those that work in the system. The Academy - Milford, CT Patch

I've heard from 2 separate people now that the school is better for autistic kids than Amity.

Keep in mind, programs like an alternative school do very little (or nothing) for statistics.
Quote:

A lot more cars. As stated previously, don't forget that Milford is a shopping/entertainment destination for people from Monroe to Naugatuck to Guilford.
Most only go to the mall and nearby businesses for shopping. So the rest of the town doesn't see them. They're on and off the highways. Downtown serves primarily locals, at night there's a regional draw but it doesn't cause any appreciable traffic.

Seriously, I'm about to go run a couple errands and I guarantee I won't encounter a lick of traffic.

I want to be clear that I don't find this town perfect, and there's plenty of things I don't like about it. But I will also defend misconceptions.

Old 05-13-2013, 03:19 PM

21,544 posts, read 30,960,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
But I will also defend misconceptions.
There is a difference between a misconception and an opinion. You cannot refute one's opinion.

My opinion: Milford is a busy town with a massive not-so-attractive stretch running through it. Too busy for me, not enough character, and too much of a destination community. I love it for nightlife in the summer, decent beaches and I often take the train from the center of town when going into the city.

I won't be posting in this thread anymore.

Old 05-13-2013, 03:23 PM

140 posts, read 257,970 times
Quote:
There is a difference between a misconception and an opinion. You cannot refute one's opinion.

My opinion: Milford is a busy town with a massive not-so-attractive stretch running through it. Too busy for me, not enough character, and too much of a destination community. I love it for nightlife in the summer, decent beaches and I often take the train from the center of town when going into the city.

I won't be posting in this thread anymore.
Everyone is entitled to their opinions, and the OP will be entitled to their opinion once they explore.

Old 05-13-2013, 03:25 PM

26 posts, read 30,770 times
Also just to be clear, he is not autistic or anything. He was just speech delayed and very shy. Now he is much better and showed a big progress since he started the program, but current district has recommended him a summer program this year just to be safe and full day kindergarten next fall. So we were looking at the districts who has similar programs to this one.

Old 05-13-2013, 06:25 PM

8,777 posts, read 19,771,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danamer View Post
We were renting a 2BR townhouse in Hampshire in Plainsboro, but would spend a lot of time in Princeton, since my husband worked there and we had quite a few friends there.

So it seems that we will have to rent in Orange, CT probably in Grand Reserve Orange, but i still do not understand what elementary shool would be there then? Since it is Amity School District, but on the district website I could not find what elementary schools are there.
Madison, Guilford sounds nice as well, but there is not much of rentals in our budget <=2000$.

Thank you all for advices.
Orange has very good schools, but i'm a bit confused. The 2 Br. units on their website are all >$2000 month.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut