Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-21-2013, 07:07 PM

10,059 posts, read 14,929,390 times

Advertisements

How fast are we talking about?

This could be a good business opportunity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2013, 08:14 PM

4,316 posts, read 4,203,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonioR View Post
Who cares?! Even if passengers had to row-the-boat themselves, it's still be faster than driving.

Quote:
Of course. I am sure Mlassoff and a couple of his buddies could swing a couple of $ billion for boats and terminals. And on top of everything else, he wouldn't even have to pay for conductors any more.

Old 05-21-2013, 09:23 PM

12,380 posts, read 26,842,423 times
Quote:

150mph in the Tunnel , 160-190mph on Long Island , 45-60mins to New York from New Haven , 10mins extra from Hartford....not anywhere close to the time it is now. There would probably be a car shuttle between Long Island and Connecticut.

Old 05-21-2013, 09:56 PM

11,669 posts, read 17,937,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post
150mph in the Tunnel , 160-190mph on Long Island , 45-60mins to New York from New Haven , 10mins extra from Hartford....not anywhere close to the time it is now. There would probably be a car shuttle between Long Island and Connecticut.
Oh stop fantasizing. Other than upgrades to existing tracks, none of those things will happen in our lifetime, even if they've been discussed or planned. It seems like its impossible to get any new major infrastructure in the northeast these days.

Old 05-21-2013, 11:19 PM

8,777 posts, read 19,852,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry10 View Post
Between Cambium's waterway, Nexis's bedrock tube, and Nep's 700 mph train, running in place of I-95's footprint -- this board is very creative. I'll add to the mix: why don't we run a fast-ferry from Fairfield, Westport, Stamford/greenwich to Midtown?

Boats can carry 3000-4000 commuters each.

Old 05-22-2013, 02:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
Oh stop fantasizing. Other than upgrades to existing tracks, none of those things will happen in our lifetime, even if they've been discussed or planned. It seems like its impossible to get any new major infrastructure in the northeast these days.
How do you know , look at the DC-Philly regions big things are happening , same with New York and New Jersey at least next year....even Maine and Massachusetts have big projects underway....its possible if you line your ducks up and there is demand. Id say 2030 it will start....

Old 05-22-2013, 05:12 AM

11,294 posts, read 18,872,835 times
Kind of back on topic, the tracks reopened today!

Old 05-22-2013, 06:32 AM

21,616 posts, read 31,180,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post
How long is the training? 6 weeks? 8? 24? It's all a lot less training than for many jobs that pay less. Money that could be spent maintaining tracks is diverted to overpaying workers. Blue collar, white collar, makes no difference to me... I didn't send they are just a cashier-- But the majority of their time is spent in that role. And more is spent doing nothing. Yes, they should be compensated for the responsibility-- But I can remember incidents over the last 24 months where they more or less abdicated their "great responsibility" on trains stuck in Westport. I'd be happy to find the article if you want back up.

It's a job with relatively little risk and more job security than any of us enjoy, that requires little training. (2 Years two become a nurse and most towns now require that the police officer have a degree before they go to the academy...6 Years of college to keep a teaching job...)

How much should this job pay? More than an airline pilot?
Training depends on the railroad. I'm not sure about MNRR but I know the SEPTA requires six months of courses plus a probationary period. Being that MNRR is the most used commuter rail in the country, I can't imagine that it's much less.

Re: incidents. I can think of incidents involving people in every profession. Should we then complain every profession is overpaid because a select few didn't live up to their responsibilities?

Bottom line is these people go through rigorous training, and have a massive responsibility behind the scenes that passengers aren't aware of. Don't armchair quarterback.

Old 05-22-2013, 09:30 AM

11,669 posts, read 17,937,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post
How do you know , look at the DC-Philly regions big things are happening , same with New York and New Jersey at least next year....even Maine and Massachusetts have big projects underway....its possible if you line your ducks up and there is demand. Id say 2030 it will start....
17 years is a long ass time to wait for a project to START. I'll be old by then.

Old 05-22-2013, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
17 years is a long ass time to wait for a project to START. I'll be old by then.
They won't raise the issue intill the NEC reaches Capacity which will be in 15-17 years , but they've started the planning now along some parts of the NEC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut