Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2013, 08:30 AM

4 posts, read 6,687 times

Advertisements

Does anyone have any insight? Better route (Merritt/95)? Average time, etc...

Thanks in advance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2013, 08:36 AM

547 posts, read 774,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pd914 View Post
Does anyone have any insight? Better route (Merritt/95)? Average time, etc...

Thanks in advance
Park at train station and take the train...probably best way unless you are dead set in commuting by car...neither highway is probably any better.

Old 05-23-2013, 08:46 AM

3,349 posts, read 4,165,458 times
Talk to Stylo. He claims its pretty pain free and should only take about a half hour.

Old 05-23-2013, 08:52 AM

21,722 posts, read 28,048,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilton2ParkAve View Post
Talk to Stylo. He claims its pretty pain free and should only take about a half hour.
No need to be condescending. I commuted to Westport (near the Norwalk border), which is a different situation altogether than, say, commuting to west Norwalk. And yes, it was pretty pain free.

OP - where is your office? That can make a huge difference.

Old 05-23-2013, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjnugget View Post
Park at train station and take the train...probably best way unless you are dead set in commuting by car...neither highway is probably any better.
Eh, I'd rather not be on the train's schedule.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
No need to be condescending. I commuted to Westport (near the Norwalk border), which is a different situation altogether than, say, commuting to west Norwalk. And yes, it was pretty pain free.

OP - where is your office? That can make a huge difference.
Route 7 near Wilton. Also, continued from above.. I'd have to make a transfer to the Danbury train I believe. Sounds like more of a hassle.

Old 05-23-2013, 09:09 AM

Train is not an option for that location.

That's not the worst commute. In my experience, the Merritt is usually better - although I preferred 95 after 6PM.

If you leave around 730AM, you should minimize traffic. Or after 9AM. If not, there's some backroads you can take that are very helpful on days with bad traffic. You'll have to use live traffic before you leave to check traffic, but sometimes you can just tell when traffic is bad enough to necessitate the backroads.

See map: Milford, CT to Merritt 7, Norwalk, CT - Google Maps

The nice thing about that route is that you can pretty much hop on and off anywhere from the Trumbull mall all the way to Wilton. In my experience, rarely do you need to hop on at Exit 48. Traffic is usually the worst between the Fairfield Rest Stop and exit 42.

Many mornings were fine, maybe a minor slowdown between 44 and 42. Mornings with traffic, I'd usually get off at 45 or 44 and go backroads to Westport. Horrific mornings, I'd take backroads from 48 or 47 all the way to Westport and that was typically a 45-50 minute commute.

For you, you'll probably wind up getting off the highway around exit 45 and back on around 42 to take the rest of the Merritt to Norwalk. It's kind of funky once you get to Exit 42 and need to take backroads to Norwalk. There's no true parallel route.

Good luck.

Old 05-23-2013, 09:20 AM

21,615 posts, read 31,180,666 times
The commute is not the worst, but that's not saying much in southwestern CT. It will take you about 40-45 minutes on an average morning and probably about 50 minutes in the afternoon. And that's if it's sunny. If it rains, get ready for it to take over an hour. If it snows, budget two hours of your time.

If it were me, I'd look into Fairfield.

Old 05-23-2013, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
Train is not an option for that location.

That's not the worst commute. In my experience, the Merritt is usually better - although I preferred 95 after 6PM.

If you leave around 730AM, you should minimize traffic. Or after 9AM. If not, there's some backroads you can take that are very helpful on days with bad traffic. You'll have to use live traffic before you leave to check traffic, but sometimes you can just tell when traffic is bad enough to necessitate the backroads.

See map: Milford, CT to Merritt 7, Norwalk, CT - Google Maps

The nice thing about that route is that you can pretty much hop on and off anywhere from the Trumbull mall all the way to Wilton. In my experience, rarely do you need to hop on at Exit 48. Traffic is usually the worst between the Fairfield Rest Stop and exit 42.

Many mornings were fine, maybe a minor slowdown between 44 and 42. Mornings with traffic, I'd usually get off at 45 or 44 and go backroads to Westport. Horrific mornings, I'd take backroads from 48 or 47 all the way to Westport and that was typically a 45-50 minute commute.

For you, you'll probably wind up getting off the highway around exit 45 and back on around 42 to take the rest of the Merritt to Norwalk. It's kind of funky once you get to Exit 42 and need to take backroads to Norwalk. There's no true parallel route.

Good luck.
This is fantastic info. I honestly thought there would be no hope for a back road route, but I'd probably prefer the back roads almost everyday. Unless there is zero traffic at all.

Old 05-23-2013, 09:26 AM

Traffic patterns are truly weird in FFC. There are spans of months where traffic is very light and sometimes nonexistent, and then all of a sudden it will be horrible for 6 weeks. Usually when school ends and starts are the worst times for traffic.

Old 05-23-2013, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
If it rains, get ready for it to take over an hour. If it snows, budget two hours of your time.
If you know the backroads there is no reason for it to ever take 2 hours. My record commute was an hour, and that was on a day the Merritt was practically shut down and backroads were slow.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut