Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2013, 08:16 PM

10,007 posts, read 11,161,435 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dazzleman View Post
My speed definitely doesn't meet the definition of reckless driving legally. In CT, reckless is over 85 mph, and I was going 79. In New York, there is a more serious charge of "excessive speed" for 30+ mph over the speed limit. I didn't meet that either, so even at the original speed, my violation was not more serious than simple speeding.

Your reaction to your ticket is not at all like mine, or really anybody I know. Most guys I know aren't fazed by an occasional ticket, and don't change their driving habit because of them. I've been largely immune to petty punishments since I was a teenager, and received a lot of them in high school, so getting tickets never bothered really bothered me, though I've gotten them fairly infrequently. I've been driving almost 35 years, and this is my 7th ticket.

In any case, I am still not sure if my NY ticket will appear on my CT license. The NYS website said that for NY drivers, tickets they get in CT do NOT appear on their license, so I have to find out if the reverse is true.

I'm not trying to rationalize anything. I know I broke the law and I'll take my punishment unbowed. But no sense in taking more punishment than I have to.

Thanks for your input, man.
Keep speeding then..what can I tell you. If you think doing 80 is safe then nobody can tell you otherwise. Are you sure about the reckless? Maybe you are right but I thought it was less than that. I am pretty sure your insurance company will know about it. You are right I think about the license though i think.

Edit: Right about the reckless driving..many southern states attached MPH over to it..not in NY.

Last edited by jp03; 05-27-2013 at 08:24 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2013, 08:30 PM

6,981 posts, read 10,950,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jp03 View Post
Keep speeding then..what can I tell you. If you think doing 80 is safe then nobody can tell you otherwise. Are you sure about the reckless? Maybe you are right but I thought it was less than that. I am pretty sure your insurance company will know about it. You are right I think about the license though i think.

Edit: Right about the reckless driving..many southern states attached MPH over to it..not in NY.
Whether 80 is safe or not depends on circumstances. All I said was that in this case, it wasn't reckless under the law.

Old 05-27-2013, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Whether 80 is safe or not depends on circumstances. All I said was that in this case, it wasn't reckless under the law.
Well, I am not going to judge you on it. Everyone has sped ... it is also true doing 80 on a downhill open highway is quite different than doing 80 on the Saw Mill River Parkway during rush hour. All I meant was in the long run it just doesn't seem worth it. If you do 70 on a 4 hour trip...then do 75 on that same trip you are saving a lousy 20 minutes..hardly seems worth it.

Old 05-27-2013, 08:36 PM

8,777 posts, read 19,863,242 times
Quote:
I only went ~60 on 95 this afternoon. I just wasn't "comfortable" with going faster due to the caliber of the other "drivers".

OTOH, i did 75-85 all the way home on the Parkway and felt absolutely comfortable and in control. I *may* have even gone a little above 85 at points.

Old 05-27-2013, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jp03 View Post
Well, I am not going to judge you on it. Everyone has sped ... it is also true doing 80 on a downhill open highway is quite different than doing 80 on the Saw Mill River Parkway during rush hour. All I meant was in the long run it just doesn't seem worth it. If you do 70 on a 4 hour trip...then do 75 on that same trip you are saving a lousy 20 minutes..hardly seems worth it.
No, it doesn't make logical sense to speed, but it's fun. The road was wide and open. I sure wouldn't do that speed on the Saw Mill at rush hour.

Old 05-27-2013, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratford, Ct. Resident View Post
I only went ~60 on 95 this afternoon. I just wasn't "comfortable" with going faster due to the caliber of the other "drivers".

OTOH, i did 75-85 all the way home on the Parkway and felt absolutely comfortable and in control. I *may* have even gone a little above 85 at points.
In all honestly, I see more danger with the cars going 50 in the right lane..or left lane for that matter. If you are doing less than 10 MPH over the speed limit , your odds of getting a ticket is close to zero. Doing 65 in a 55 is understandable ..in fact its safer as many of the state speed limits are too low. ,..doing 85 is not under any circumstances...sorry.

Old 05-27-2013, 08:43 PM

Quote:

I was doing 75-80 on the Merritt this morning. There was no traffic and it was safe. There was even a cop a bit in front of me. I maintained a discrete distance from him.

Old 05-27-2013, 08:50 PM

8,777 posts, read 19,863,242 times
Quote:
I was doing 75-80 on the Merritt this morning. There was no traffic and it was safe. There was even a cop a bit in front of me. I maintained a discrete distance from him.
I'm still trying to figure out if supervisors are driving cars with WWL plates. I've seen plenty of people break laws and not get pulled over by cars with those plates. I've passed by WWL's many times(on the right and on the left). I know the cars with UTZ plates are driven by troopers.

Old 05-28-2013, 04:32 AM

Quote:
I'm still trying to figure out if supervisors are driving cars with WWL plates. I've seen plenty of people break laws and not get pulled over by cars with those plates. I've passed by WWL's many times(on the right and on the left). I know the cars with UTZ plates are driven by troopers.
Yes, I've seen this before. A marked trooper car driving at well above the speed limit on the Merritt, without pulling anybody over. I really like to follow those guys at a discrete distance. They clear the left lane, and as long as I'm behind them, rather than in front, I figure I'm safe....

Old 05-28-2013, 06:20 AM

21,620 posts, read 31,207,908 times
Quote:
I got a speeding ticket in New York State, and I'm wondering if it will appear on my Connecticut license if I am convicted.

Do any of you guys know this for sure, or have direct experience with this situation?
dazzle,

Yeah, NY reports to CT, so it will definitely show up on your CT license.

Also, you were not "reckless driving", as some here have suggested. You were simply speeding.

Quote:
Most troopers don't care if you're going 75-80 when on the road with them, as long as you're not weaving and driving aggressively. I usually go 70-75 on the highway and when a trooper merges on, I don't decrease my speed by a lot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut