Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2013, 03:41 PM

6,981 posts, read 10,887,170 times

Advertisements

I got a speeding ticket in New York State, and I'm wondering if it will appear on my Connecticut license if I am convicted.

Do any of you guys know this for sure, or have direct experience with this situation?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2013, 05:04 PM

811 posts, read 1,729,315 times
Pretty sure NY will report it to CT and your insurance will find out about it. Did you plead guilty already? My suggestion is to contact a traffic attorney that handles cases in the district you were issued a ticket and have it contested. This is what I did. He handled everything. I did not have to show up in court. He got it reduced to a non moving violation and thus I had no points on my license from it. I believe he charged around $150 on top of the reduced fee from the non moving violation. I want to say everything was less than $225. That's much less than a full priced speeding ticket (you were probably going 80+?) and increased insurance costs for years to come.

Old 05-27-2013, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTbrooktrout View Post
Pretty sure NY will report it to CT and your insurance will find out about it. Did you plead guilty already? My suggestion is to contact a traffic attorney that handles cases in the district you were issued a ticket and have it contested. This is what I did. He handled everything. I did not have to show up in court. He got it reduced to a non moving violation and thus I had no points on my license from it. I believe he charged around $150 on top of the reduced fee from the non moving violation. I want to say everything was less than $225. That's much less than a full priced speeding ticket (you were probably going 80+?) and increased insurance costs for years to come.
I was going 79 mph in a 55 mph zone, but the trooper wrote it at 65 mph. He cut me a really nice break. He also said that if I go to court, they'll probably reduce it further.

I don't think it's worth going to the expense of a lawyer for a ticket that is already so minor as written. I was thinking that if I went to court, it might get reduced to a non-moving violation.

But if the ticket doesn't transfer to Connecticut and my CT license will remain clean either way, then it's not worth a trip to court.

My last speeding ticket was 14 years ago in Connecticut, and I got it reduced but it still showed up as a speeding violation on my license. It had no effect on my insurance, so I'm not terribly worried about this one either. Still, it's better not to have a moving violation, so it is probably worth a trip to court if the conviction would transfer.

Old 05-27-2013, 06:41 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,272,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dazzleman View Post
I was going 79 mph in a 55 mph zone...
OK, start there. You broke the law, by a very wide margin.

Quote:
but the trooper wrote it at 65 mph. He cut me a really nice break. He also said that if I go to court, they'll probably reduce it further.
Very nice, but keep in mind that your actual violation was pretty extreme.

Quote:
I don't think it's worth going to the expense of a lawyer for a ticket that is already so minor as written. I was thinking that if I went to court, it might get reduced to a non-moving violation.
Minor? You were going almost 25 mph over the speed limit. In what way should this be considered a non-moving violation?

Quote:
But if the ticket doesn't transfer to Connecticut and my CT license will remain clean either way, then it's not worth a trip to court.
OK, bad news... sorry... this is gonna hit your Connecticut license, as it should. Because of Homeland Security requirements, the various states are now much better connected than they used to be. Chances are good your insurance company already has the citation on file.

Old 05-27-2013, 06:53 PM

83,293 posts, read 74,562,709 times
Havent gotten a ticket in a very long time but I remember when I drove to Florida in 1996 I got pulled over in Maryland and Georgia. I was living in NY at the time and I found out that out of state tickets dont go on your license. So I just paid the ticket and the points never did show up.

1. That was 1996.
2. State to State laws may vary

Good luck. Call DMV and ask.

Old 05-27-2013, 07:16 PM

10,004 posts, read 11,074,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dazzleman View Post
I was going 79 mph in a 55 mph zone, but the trooper wrote it at 65 mph. He cut me a really nice break. He also said that if I go to court, they'll probably reduce it further.

My last speeding ticket was 14 years ago in Connecticut, and I got it reduced but it still showed up as a speeding violation on my license. It had no effect on my insurance, so I'm not terribly worried about this one either. Still, it's better not to have a moving violation, so it is probably worth a trip to court if the conviction would transfer.
More likely than not a ticket 10 mph over the speed limit will not affect your insurance if you have no other tickets as you stated. It will go on your record as NY and CT work in tandem. The more important thing is to figure out why you were going 24 MPH over the speed limit and not let it happen again.

5 years ago I got a ticket for going 79 in a 65. I vowed to never speed again and it stuck. I never have come close...lesson learned. These tickets can serve a purpose sometimes. I'd be willing to bet most speeders who get "caught" speed chronically and would keep speeding until something woke them up. A ticket sometimes can serve a purpose more than fill the coffers of the local town.

Cop was really nice to you. That speed over is reckless driving and that's a real headache. Lesson learned and move on..I would pay it and forget about it.

Old 05-27-2013, 07:52 PM

8,777 posts, read 19,761,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post

Minor? You were going almost 25 mph over the speed limit. In what way should this be considered a non-moving violation?

OK, bad news... sorry... this is gonna hit your Connecticut license, as it should. Because of Homeland Security requirements, the various states are now much better connected than they used to be. Chances are good your insurance company already has the citation on file.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jp03 View Post
More likely than not a ticket 10 mph over the speed limit will not affect your insurance if you have no other tickets as you stated. It will go on your record as NY and CT work in tandem. The more important thing is to figure out why you were going 24 MPH over the speed limit and not let it happen again.

5 years ago I got a ticket for going 79 in a 65. I vowed to never speed again and it stuck. I never have come close...lesson learned. These tickets can serve a purpose sometimes. I'd be willing to bet most speeders who get "caught" speed chronically and would keep speeding until something woke them up. A ticket sometimes can serve a purpose more than fill the coffers of the local town.

Cop was really nice to you. That speed over is reckless driving and that's a real headache. Lesson learned and move on..I would pay it and forget about it.
Hey choir people, he asked for input from people that have encountered the situation in the past. He didn't ask for a sermon.

Old 05-27-2013, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratford, Ct. Resident View Post
Hey choir people, he asked for input from people that have encountered the situation in the past. He didn't ask for a sermon.

The sermons are pretty amusing though, so they can keep them coming....

Thanks for standing up for me though, neighbor!

You are correct that my question is a pretty narrow one. I'm going to have to go through the nightmare of calling the DMV to find out the definitive answer to my question, it appears.

Old 05-27-2013, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jp03 View Post

My speed definitely doesn't meet the definition of reckless driving legally. In CT, reckless is over 85 mph, and I was going 79. In New York, there is a more serious charge of "excessive speed" for 30+ mph over the speed limit. I didn't meet that either, so even at the original speed, my violation was not more serious than simple speeding.

Your reaction to your ticket is not at all like mine, or really anybody I know. Most guys I know aren't fazed by an occasional ticket, and don't change their driving habit because of them. I've been largely immune to petty punishments since I was a teenager, and received a lot of them in high school, so getting tickets never bothered really bothered me, though I've gotten them fairly infrequently. I've been driving almost 35 years, and this is my 7th ticket.

In any case, I am still not sure if my NY ticket will appear on my CT license. The NYS website said that for NY drivers, tickets they get in CT do NOT appear on their license, so I have to find out if the reverse is true.

I'm not trying to rationalize anything. I know I broke the law and I'll take my punishment unbowed. But no sense in taking more punishment than I have to.

Thanks for your input, man.

Last edited by dazzleman; 05-27-2013 at 08:56 PM..

Old 05-27-2013, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post

OK, dad...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut