U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2007, 01:37 PM

239 posts, read 789,456 times

Advertisements

Yeah Im guilty of changing lanes in the tunnel in Hartford-- my excuse issssss, that, if I saw ample opportunity to change there, I would, because my exit was 2 after that, and theres an onramp there as well.. sooooo.. It made it difficult to get into the right lane for my exit!

Ok, not cool...!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2007, 09:00 PM

67 posts, read 288,663 times
Connecticut/NYC area driver here. There are certain rules of the road that are not followed in this state, and honestly if you dont follow them and that affects me then you will hear about it.

For example drove for many years back and forth from the West End in Hartford to Wethersfield via I-84 to Sisson Avenue. The number of people that cut into traffic (on purpose, right before exit ramps) on I-84 eastbound during rush hour between the Sisson Avenue exit and the Founders Bridge is amazing. If you try to cut in front of me, I will honk and not let you, Sorry. I just dont get this cutting business. I drive throughout New York City as well and dont experience it but yet in Hartford I do.

Lots of drivers love to jut in and out of traffic at high speeds. Another pet peeve of mine when they dont get that far ahead in the end. I cant tell you how many speeders I see on Merritt on my trips from its start in Meriden as the Wilbur Cross all the way into NY state.

Old 11-06-2007, 04:52 AM

188 posts, read 880,080 times
I was driving in CT last week, and my family and I could not get over how bad CT driver's are. It's not necessarily lack of skill, but there seems to be a lack of manners on the road. I can't tell you how many times we were passed going 75 on the right by some car going 85. It was mostly on the freeways 95 and Merritt. We were glad to return to the more courteous drivers in Northern New England. CONN- FYI, THE SPEED LIMIT ON THE MERRITT IS 55! So follow it.

Old 11-06-2007, 07:35 AM

2,394 posts, read 3,331,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wealthtrader View Post
CONN- FYI, THE SPEED LIMIT ON THE MERRITT IS 55! So follow it.
I have observed a few drivers on the Merritt over the years who were attempting to drive 55. It wasn't pretty. They put themselves (and others) in significant danger. As a practical matter, you can't do it safely.

Based on observing police beside the roadway, it is clear that the actual (unstated) speed limit as enforced on the Merritt is somewhere above 70 mph.

Old 11-06-2007, 11:56 AM

81 posts, read 561,098 times
[quote=HeadedWest;1924616]I have observed a few drivers on the Merritt over the years who were attempting to drive 55. It wasn't pretty. They put themselves (and others) in significant danger. As a practical matter, you can't do it safely.

This is so true!! I'm not afraid of speed, but on the Merritt I definitely try to keep it under 75 because it's only two lanes and the roads are curvy. In a perfect world, yes...55 should be the limit. However, in reality...it doesn't work and it can be down right dangerous. I was stuck behind a car that was going about 50 mph in the left lane and refused to move over and let others pass. There was another vehicle right next to her (practically driving side-by-side) so moving over for me wasnt' an option. It was chaos! Cars were tailgating me and the driver in the right lane to get by. Then when there was the slightest opening, cars were cutting her so close to get by. There were a few scary moments and yet...she refused to move over. I moved out of the left lane to the right and the guy behind me started riding her tail. 10 minutes later, she finally moves over and lets him by, then immediately jumps back over and another driver almost hit her trying to also get by. However, she resumed her 50 mph and it was the same process all over again. There were cars driving so tight together. I hate that...I like one car distance when I drive. However, people were frustrated looking at open road ahead and not being able to pass through either lane.

I try to stick with driving with the flow of traffic and letting extreme speeders by to avoid an accident. It's not an ego thing so I don't mind moving when necessary to let another driver by. It's a safety thing.

Old 11-06-2007, 12:04 PM

273 posts, read 1,194,064 times
I'll take skill over manners ANYDAY both from myself as a driver and other drivers

Old 11-06-2007, 04:49 PM

333 posts, read 326,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wealthtrader View Post
I was driving in CT last week, and my family and I could not get over how bad CT driver's are. It's not necessarily lack of skill, but there seems to be a lack of manners on the road. I can't tell you how many times we were passed going 75 on the right by some car going 85. It was mostly on the freeways 95 and Merritt. We were glad to return to the more courteous drivers in Northern New England. CONN- FYI, THE SPEED LIMIT ON THE MERRITT IS 55! So follow it.
The traffic on the Merritt, as others have noted, must travel at least 70mph or yes, it can get dangerous. Just go with the flow.

You said you were going 75, yet you're instructing locals to obey the 55 limit??

Old 11-06-2007, 05:00 PM

2,391 posts, read 4,556,680 times
Default Too many sardines

Too many sardines in the can. Most congested areas are like this. Having just moved from NYC to Oneonta, a rural one cow town I think I have a little perspective. The difference is amazing. If you're coming out of a driveway people stop and let you in front of them, I think I've heard a horn maybe a half dozen times in 2 months. People smile at you, they wave to you, they talk to you. Much more civilized. Unfortunately I'm moving back to the can when my house in Norwalk is completed. There has to be a nice middle ground somewhere.

Old 11-06-2007, 06:25 PM

8 posts, read 26,723 times
I know what you mean. Drivers are pretty bad around where I live, which is Fairfield County more specifically New Canaan. Most of them are 1 of three things...
1) Old people who should not be driving.
2) Typical braindead soccer moms/trophy wives on their cell phones, who also should not be driving.
3) *******s in their porsches who think they own the highway.

People really suck at merging, specifically. Almost every time I get on the highway if there's someone in front of me they either refuse to speed up and merge at like 30 like idiots, or completely ignore their opportunities to merge at first and then pull right in as the ramp ends expecting people to make an opening for them.

The other day I was going into Norwalk with a friend to grab a bite, taking US-7 and I actually had some guy in an Audi tailgate me in the left line while I was doing 85. I mean, I couldn't even see his headlights. That was scary.

Old 11-06-2007, 07:17 PM

333 posts, read 326,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crimzin View Post
I know what you mean. Drivers are pretty bad around where I live, which is Fairfield County more specifically New Canaan. Most of them are 1 of three things...
1) Old people who should not be driving.
2) Typical braindead soccer moms/trophy wives on their cell phones, who also should not be driving.
3) *******s in their porsches who think they own the highway.

People really suck at merging, specifically. Almost every time I get on the highway if there's someone in front of me they either refuse to speed up and merge at like 30 like idiots, or completely ignore their opportunities to merge at first and then pull right in as the ramp ends expecting people to make an opening for them.

The other day I was going into Norwalk with a friend to grab a bite, taking US-7 and I actually had some guy in an Audi tailgate me in the left line while I was doing 85. I mean, I couldn't even see his headlights. That was scary.
Numbers 2 and 3 from your list, IMO, are the worst drivers. I currently live in Fairfield County and spend a lot of time in the Southbury/Oxford area - the soccermoms there are unbelievable. They cut you off without even realizing they're doing it. Most of the time they're on the cell phones in their Lexus SUVs ignoring the world.

Then there's your number 3, and they're the ones who drive me nuts. They know you're there, they know they're being jerks and they simply don't care. This is the "me first" attitude that's so prevalent in Fairfield and New Haven Counties and I don't see it in other areas of the nation. I guess the previously mentioned "sardine can" combined with the affluence creates nightmarish driving.

For number 3, maybe it is skill without following rules. As for the soccermoms, they cannot drive, period.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut