Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2013, 08:05 AM

468 posts, read 708,829 times

Advertisements

This is my last post in this thread:

IT IS MATHEMATICALLY IMPOSSIBLE FOR THE MEDIAN PRICE OF HOMES IN AVON TO BE EFFECTED BY THE PRICE OF HIGH-END HOMES THERE, as I have previously explained.

At least accept the reality of basic mathematical concepts. That's all I ask.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2013, 09:15 AM

4,716 posts, read 5,960,759 times
First off, it should be "affected" by the price of high-end homes.

Second, here is reality, with an example:

5 homes sold with prices of $100,000; $200,000; $300,000; $400,000; $500,000. Median home price is $300,000

5 homes sold with prices of $100,000; $200,000; $1,000,000; $2,000,000; $3,000,000. Median home price is $1,000,000

Median price difference due to luxury homes is $700,000. $1 million minus $300,000 = $700,000.

I found a recent 12 month period of closed residential sales in Avon. There were 232 closed sales with a median price of $480,000. If you take out the luxury homes over $800,000 that are not in Southington, you have 196 closed sales and a new median price $440,000. If you take out the homes that are more than 10% over the OP's budget of $500,000, you're down to 141 closed sales and a median price of $380,000. You also have 68 homes in Avon that meet the OP's requirements of being over 2,500 square feet and sold for under $500,000.

So, I'm not sure what you mean by "MATHEMATICALLY IMPOSSIBLE", but I don't think it means what you think it means.

Now, I'm sure there will be more homes to choose from in Southington in her budget and size, but there is not an automatic $205,000 premium on homes in Avon, and it's certainly possible for the OP to find a comparable home in Avon that is within the OP's budget and size requirements, which I had demonstrated earlier in this thread.

Old 12-31-2013, 09:50 AM

691 posts, read 1,150,355 times
It really is amazing at the degree to which people in CT nitpick over school districts.

Southington High School offers a plethora of opportunities for motivated students. One can take virtually any AP course, and be well prepared for college (as evidenced by their above-average SAT scores).

Are their stats as off-the-charts as Avon High School? No. But that does not speak at all to the quality of the school, just the fact that it's more economically diverse than Avon.

I'd much rather save on mortgage costs while living in a good town like Southington then go beyond my means to live in a lesser home in a town like Avon. Besides, Avon is just too isolated. Who wants to spend 20 minutes to just get to a highway? Southington has two interstates running through it.

Old 12-31-2013, 10:00 AM

4,538 posts, read 6,801,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pulpfiction View Post
It really is amazing at the degree to which people in CT nitpick over school districts.

Southington High School offers a plethora of opportunities for motivated students. One can take virtually any AP course, and be well prepared for college (as evidenced by their above-average SAT scores).

Are their stats as off-the-charts as Avon High School? No. But that does not speak at all to the quality of the school, just the fact that it's more economically diverse than Avon.

I'd much rather save on mortgage costs while living in a good town like Southington then go beyond my means to live in a lesser home in a town like Avon. Besides, Avon is just too isolated. Who wants to spend 20 minutes to just get to a highway? Southington has two interstates running through it.
This is spot on. The test result averages are not fully reflective of the quality of the education or experience. There are many more parts to education than test results. Many of the higher- performing districts lack empathy, understanding and tolerance toward those on the lower socioeconomic scale and it is not helpful in finding real-world solutions to the structural problems that we are currently experiencing.

Old 12-31-2013, 10:18 AM

2,695 posts, read 3,490,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lincolnian View Post
This is spot on. The test result averages are not fully reflective of the quality of the education or experience. There are many more parts to education than test results. Many of the higher- performing districts lack empathy, understanding and tolerance toward those on the lower socioeconomic scale and it is not helpful in finding real-world solutions to the structural problems that we are currently experiencing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pulpfiction View Post

+1. Spot on in both accounts.

Old 12-31-2013, 10:26 AM

34,933 posts, read 56,945,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrgmrg View Post
This is my last post in this thread:

IT IS MATHEMATICALLY IMPOSSIBLE FOR THE MEDIAN PRICE OF HOMES IN AVON TO BE EFFECTED BY THE PRICE OF HIGH-END HOMES THERE, as I have previously explained.

At least accept the reality of basic mathematical concepts. That's all I ask.
How can you say this? Of course having a large number of high end homes effects the median price of homes in a town. If it did not then all the median prices of homes in all towns would be the same. Again though, it is not fair to compare median prices of homes. You need to compare homes of similar size and quality to make a true comparison. Like I said "apples to apples". Jay

Old 12-31-2013, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lincolnian View Post
The disagreement was related to one poster saying that you're paying a $205,000 premium on a house in Avon and that you're going to spend an extra $12,000 to $25,000 per year to live there.

JayCT and myself were saying the cost difference isn't that great because the quantity of expensive homes in Avon skews the data on less expensive homes. I then spent about two minutes to find two homes that both nearly met the OP's criteria - newer, over 2,500 square feet and around $500,000. The two homes were both brand new and in neighborhood settings, and within 5 square feet in size of each other... and the cost of the Southington home was actually a few thousand more than the cost of the Avon home.

My previous post also did more research and found 68 homes sold in Avon over a one year period that were over 2,500 square feet and sold for $550,000 or less. While there were surely more homes that meet the OP's criteria in Southington, it's certainly not an impossible task to meet her needs in Avon, as I had shown in an earlier post linking the two new homes for sale. And, she's certainly not going to be paying an extra $12,000 to $25,000 per year to do it. Also, the mill rate is slightly lower in Avon as well - 26.32 vs 27.46.

Old 03-10-2014, 09:13 AM

366 posts, read 780,599 times
I'm sure the OP is long gone by now, but wanted to add my $.02. I've been away from this forum for a while, and it's too bad that the same posters keep singing the same "Glastonbury, Farmington, Avon, Canton, West Hartford" song to anyone who asks about the greater Hartord area.

My husband and I have lived in New Britain for 16+ years and are in the market to move to a different school district. I work in West Hartford and he works in Farmington. Southington is our top choice. Here are some of our reasons (in no particular order):

1) Convenience. Close to I-84, I-684, and Rte. 9. Most areas of Farmington, Avon, Canton, etc. involve at least a 20 minute drive to get to a major highway. Many areas of those town also involve a 20 minute drive to get to major shopping areas or big box store shopping. We don't want to be on the other side of the river (e.g., Glastonbury) and have to commute through downtown Hartford.

2) Weather. There are a lot of instances where it will be raining in New Britain, but it is sleet or freezing rain in Farmington, and other towns north of I-84. 84 is a real dividing line when it comes to bad weather.

3) Schools. The school test scores are well above average for the state; The Southington school district is in or around the top 50 (out of 164.) Yes, there is only one high school so the student population is very large. But with large comes "something for everyone" in terms of clubs, teams, AP classes, etc.

4) Socio-Economic/Demographics. We don't make a ton of money; our price point is ideally less than $300,000 for a single family home. Our money will go further in Southington. In Southington we will be neighbors with more people like us in terms of income. I'm not sure I want my child going to school with kids who have au pairs, super expensive sneakers, and get BMWs for their birthdays. Sure, there are medium income folks in Farmington and Avon, and there are high income folks in Southington, but overall Southington is definitely more middle/working class which appeals to me and my husband.

5) Density. While not as rural as Farmington, Avon, or Canton, and therefore (in some posters' estimation) not as aesthetically pleasing, Southington does have some lovely neighborhoods with a country charm feel. Most homes are on at least 1/2 acre lots. West Hartford is not one of our top choices because of the density. It is a nice town, but definitely is more urban in nature; older houses on smaller lots. One of our top priorities in a home is an attached 2-car garage; not easy to find in West Hartford!

Newington and Wethersfield have many similarities to Southington, but we feel that Southington is a better choice for us.

Old 03-10-2014, 09:32 AM

8,777 posts, read 19,863,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTlibrarian View Post
I'm sure the OP is long gone by now, but wanted to add my $.02. I've been away from this forum for a while, and it's too bad that the same posters keep singing the same "Glastonbury, Farmington, Avon, Canton, West Hartford" song to anyone who asks about the greater Hartord area.

My husband and I have lived in New Britain for 16+ years and are in the market to move to a different school district. I work in West Hartford and he works in Farmington. Southington is our top choice. Here are some of our reasons (in no particular order):

1) Convenience. Close to I-84, I-684, and Rte. 9. Most areas of Farmington, Avon, Canton, etc. involve at least a 20 minute drive to get to a major highway. Many areas of those town also involve a 20 minute drive to get to major shopping areas or big box store shopping. We don't want to be on the other side of the river (e.g., Glastonbury) and have to commute through downtown Hartford.

2) Weather. There are a lot of instances where it will be raining in New Britain, but it is sleet or freezing rain in Farmington, and other towns north of I-84. 84 is a real dividing line when it comes to bad weather.

3) Schools. The school test scores are well above average for the state; The Southington school district is in or around the top 50 (out of 164.) Yes, there is only one high school so the student population is very large. But with large comes "something for everyone" in terms of clubs, teams, AP classes, etc.

4) Socio-Economic/Demographics. We don't make a ton of money; our price point is ideally less than $300,000 for a single family home. Our money will go further in Southington. In Southington we will be neighbors with more people like us in terms of income. I'm not sure I want my child going to school with kids who have au pairs, super expensive sneakers, and get BMWs for their birthdays. Sure, there are medium income folks in Farmington and Avon, and there are high income folks in Southington, but overall Southington is definitely more middle/working class which appeals to me and my husband.

5) Density. While not as rural as Farmington, Avon, or Canton, and therefore (in some posters' estimation) not as aesthetically pleasing, Southington does have some lovely neighborhoods with a country charm feel. Most homes are on at least 1/2 acre lots. West Hartford is not one of our top choices because of the density. It is a nice town, but definitely is more urban in nature; older houses on smaller lots. One of our top priorities in a home is an attached 2-car garage; not easy to find in West Hartford!

Newington and Wethersfield have many similarities to Southington, but we feel that Southington is a better choice for us.
I always wondered why Southington always seemed to be snubbed on this forum. There was a little bit of positive discussion about it in this thread.

Old 03-10-2014, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratford, Ct. Resident View Post
I always wondered why Southington always seemed to be snubbed on this forum. There was a little bit of positive discussion about it in this thread.
I think Southington is a nice town with a lot to offer. I think it's snubbed because it's not in the ring of towns right around Hartford like the others. And, other than Glastonbury, West Hartford, Avon, Simsbury, Farmington and Canton are all one contiguous area, so you can kind of group them all as one. And, other than Cheshire, the towns around Southington are not quite as nice: Bristol, Meriden, Plainville.

(Actually, Canton gets left out by most here as well, though their test scores in recent years are better than West Hartford, Farmington and Glastonbury most of the time)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut