Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2013, 03:46 PM

267 posts, read 447,767 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherTouchOfWhimsy View Post
I say drawers and "ont" and milk... but otherwise, I think most of that applies. I will say that Connecticut natives don't tend to have an accent. You do hear Joisey and New Yawk and Bahston accents sometimes, but those are from people who are from New Jersey or New York or Massachusetts. I grew up in Meriden and then moved to Naugatuck when I got married. I live in Florida now and hear all sorts of accents. While most Floridians can pick out those from the northeast, I think that Connecticut is an exception. No one knows where I'm from just from hearing me speak. (Unless I say grinder or tag sale, which I occasionally do, LOL)
I lived in Florida for ten years and while I don't think Connecticut has a strong accent I do believe we speak a bit faster and more precisely than people from other parts of the country( including the pronunciations I learned from new york proximity which I also say precisely). There's also a little bit more of a nasally thing going on haha.

I think, perhaps, rather than having an accent, its our "lingo" which is unique. Not just our few unusual words for things but also our sentence structure and delivery. We also don't tend to think "is what I'm saying nice?" .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2013, 05:10 PM

1,195 posts, read 1,625,262 times
I say some of these and not others. I'm from Southbury originally, basically the corner of litchfield, Fairfield, and new haven counties. I've been told I have no noticeable accent.

I never heard anyone say 'packy' growing up but when my girlfriend was going to Connecticut College down in New London we heard it a lot down there (all the liquor stores down there are called * Packy I think) so maybe that's an eastern CT/MA/RI thing?

I say milk not melk and droors for the drawers in a cabinet. I say PEE-cahn. Etc etc.

Last edited by basehead617; 06-15-2013 at 05:22 PM..

Old 06-15-2013, 05:31 PM

442 posts, read 455,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by basehead617 View Post
I say some of these and not others. I'm from Southbury originally, basically the corner of litchfield, Fairfield, and new haven counties. I've been told I have no noticeable accent.

I never heard anyone say 'packy' growing up but when my girlfriend was going to Connecticut College down in New London we heard it a lot down there (all the liquor stores down there are called * Packy I think) so maybe that's an eastern CT/MA/RI thing?

I say milk not melk and droors for the drawers in a cabinet. I say PEE-cahn. Etc etc.
I'm from Canton and have always said Packy for a liquor store. Incidentally, when I was in London, I was at a friend's place and suggested we go to the nearest packy for some bevvies and everyone looked astonished. Then my friend said Packy was derogatory for Pakistani and that I should avoid that term.

Oh well. I guess "Off license" just doesn't have the same ring as Packy.

Old 06-15-2013, 05:37 PM

8,777 posts, read 19,852,893 times
Grocery store.....or.....Supermarket?

Old 06-15-2013, 06:49 PM

1,195 posts, read 1,625,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratford, Ct. Resident View Post
Grocery store.....or.....Supermarket?
Personally, I always remember saying and hearing 'grocery store'.

Old 06-15-2013, 07:26 PM

26,656 posts, read 28,654,132 times
Grocery store. Carriage but now I say cart. Aunt because they are not insects. Grinder, cellar, packy, rotary or lately, roundabout. Ledyard is more like Lejard. Regular coffee.

My relatives in CT talk almost the same way I do and I grew up on the MA/CT border and went to college in CT BUT some of my relatives who live down around the Danbury area sound a little bit like New Yorkers. I've heard people from Naugatuck sound a little bit like New Yorkers too.

When you get east of the river you may hear more of RI or Eastern MA accent--some of the dropping of the Rs. Up around Somers and Enfield they talk like me--they're near the border.

BTW, do we still say pocketbook or are we supposed to say (cough) Purse? I find it hard to call it a purse but that seems to be the way to go.

Old 06-15-2013, 08:23 PM

267 posts, read 447,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
Grocery store. Carriage but now I say cart. Aunt because they are not insects. Grinder, cellar, packy, rotary or lately, roundabout. Ledyard is more like Lejard. Regular coffee.

My relatives in CT talk almost the same way I do and I grew up on the MA/CT border and went to college in CT BUT some of my relatives who live down around the Danbury area sound a little bit like New Yorkers. I've heard people from Naugatuck sound a little bit like New Yorkers too.

When you get east of the river you may hear more of RI or Eastern MA accent--some of the dropping of the Rs. Up around Somers and Enfield they talk like me--they're near the border.

BTW, do we still say pocketbook or are we supposed to say (cough) Purse? I find it hard to call it a purse but that seems to be the way to go.
I'm 25 and social culture loving biases aside I am still quite familiar with pocketbook. That's what my mom says so that's what I call them. She actually says it like "pocka-book" haha.

Old 06-16-2013, 12:06 AM

591 posts, read 820,172 times
Unless originally from NY or NJ, people from CT say "ont," not "ant."

Old 06-16-2013, 06:40 AM

5,064 posts, read 15,893,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CLees View Post
Perhaps CT has regional variations within the state due to its location between 2 areas of unique accents and word usages.

Exactly. For instance, in western Ct. I'm daily surrounded by ex-New Yorkers or their offspring, and listen to words being pronounced "draw" (drawer) , Aoisome" (awesome), "Ont" (aunt), "oif" (off). Our native Ct. family with no NY or Boston background do not say "ont", it's "aunt". Maybe "ont" is a NY or Italian term? And we don't say "voz", it's "vase". "Mootzarella" is always from Italians, I love to butcher it and say "mozzarella" the American way just to annoy some of them, because some always correct me. Never heard anyone say cellar here, always basement. Never heard "N-Haven", either, always "New Haven". I think a "wedge" must be more localized, because none of our family and friends down there say wedge as opposed to sub or grinder. I do hear mostly "purse", it seems like it's the older generations that say pocketbook. But then again, so many of the older people I know are from NY which skews it. Another mispronounced word from NY'ers that always gets to me is "leggins" instead of "leggings".

Always interesting how people interpret accents. I visited a cousin a few years ago across the country that I hadn't seen in years, and he was surprised that I didn't have an accent. He'd once spent some time in western Ct. and assumed everyone spoke like a NY'er. And I do know some people that have such a strong accent they mispronounce several words in a sentence, but don't think they have an accent.

Oh, another good one I just thought of, NY'ers are never in line, they are online. To me online is what I am right now, online on my computer.

Last edited by andthentherewere3; 06-16-2013 at 07:12 AM..

Old 06-16-2013, 07:02 AM

21,615 posts, read 31,180,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andthentherewere3 View Post
Oh, another good one I just thought of, NY'ers are never in line, they are online. To me online is what I am right now, online on my computer.
That always bothered me...lol. Online is on a computer. In line is in a store.

I do hear, especially when in the Valley or Bridgeport area, "Nuh-Haven" instead of New Haven.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut