Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What school will over the best preparation for mathematics graduate school?
Eastern Connecticut State University 0 0%
University of Connecticut 20 100.00%
Voters: 20. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2013, 01:10 PM

9 posts, read 33,743 times

Advertisements

Hi all, I am currently debating on whether I should go to ECSU or UCONN. I grew up in FL (but am a CT resident now) so I don't know a whole lot about which degree is more valued. I am a non-traditional math/statistics major (24 with a 1yo daughter). I am at the point at Three Rivers where I need to choose which school I am going to apply to transfer to because they have different general ed reqs. Basically, which will get me the best chance to get into grad school? Will it really make a difference between the two schools? It's looking like my husband may be transferred to Washington state right after I graduate, which would put me near one of the best biostatistics programs in the nation. I want to choose the school that will best position me for acceptance.

I am, however, worried about initial admittance to UCONN. I've already been accepted at ECSU. My GPA is not the best currently due to academic indiscretions as a freshman teenager. Is it competitive to get into UCONN as a transfer student?

Any and all advice/comments appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2013, 02:17 PM

21,738 posts, read 28,070,632 times
UCONN is very competitive. If you can get in and afford it, it's considered the best public school in the state.

Old 06-21-2013, 03:01 PM

10,072 posts, read 14,952,774 times
This is a no brainer.

UConn all the way.

Old 06-21-2013, 03:22 PM

720 posts, read 1,709,225 times
Daughter and son-in-law graduated from UCONN(math majors, goal of teaching secondary school math) (attended comm college 2 years, then UCONN branch 2 years) and both were accepted into a 1 year grad program at UCONN. Both did this in their thirties---non-traditional students. Yes it's very competitive and selective-----and a very employable degree. Daughter was hired immediately, sil graduated in May, doing interviews now. Granddaughter's boyfriend just got AS from comm college, will be at UCONN in Storrs in the school of business this fall. All A's, all of them, all the way through.The only info I have about ECSC , from a few years back, is about their molecular biology degree: Yale likes them for their grad program. Apply, what have you got to lose?

Old 06-22-2013, 05:48 AM

Thanks for the responses. I scheduled a tour of UCONN on Momday. Hopefully they can give me a better idea on if I stand a chance at admittance. Fingers crossed!

Old 06-22-2013, 08:47 AM

11,295 posts, read 18,882,521 times
I do a lot of college/career counseling to FFC teens. Because of where they are, it's usually a choice of WCSU or SCSU vs. UConn, but basically all 4 (Western, Southern, Central, and Eastern) are pretty much the same, it's just that geographically I only hear about Eastern when a student doesn't have the grades for Storrs but wants to go away for school and is set on a State school (though more often they opt for CCSU in that instance).

If you can get in, UConn is definitely the choice. If you can't, it * MAY * be possible to transfer from ECSU if you have top notch grades there. I counseled someone who is going to Western next year because of grades (she came to this country legally in 8th grade and if they only looked at her last 2 years of high school and SATs she'd have probably got into UConn but her first 2 years, partially due to language/adjustment issues hurt her) and she is trying that route, her goal is to transfer to UConn in 2 years, but I think she may be able to do it after 1 if she does well.

UConn (and state schools in general, but especially UConn vs. the 4 "regional" state schools) is much harder to get into than it used to be (say when I was going to college about a quarter century ago) because the economy and the fact that college costs have gone up faster than inflation means many people who would've never considered a state school now do, at least as a "safety" or for financial reasons (i.e. a "top of the class" HS student who would've virtually never considered UConn and would've gunned for a partial scholarship at an Ivy (or equivalent, like Purdue, Duke or Stanford) or even an "Ivy lite" out-of-state state school like U Michigan or Cal-Berkeley)).

That's my 2 cents, best of luck to you!

Old 06-22-2013, 01:53 PM

Thank you 7wishes. I think I'm going to end up taking the classes I would need in hopes of getting into UCONN, and keep ECSU as a back-up. If I don't end up getting in, I can always apply again for the next semester. The first semester of junior year classes at ECSU and UCONN are the same, so I hope it will work out.

Old 06-23-2013, 11:25 AM

21,738 posts, read 28,070,632 times
7 Wishes, I went to WCSU and always felt like SCSU and CCSU were the better schools.

Old 06-24-2013, 06:50 PM

5,989 posts, read 6,778,896 times
If you can get in, UConn for sure. Lots of bright, high achieving kids looking for value for their tuition dollar going there. The kids who go to the state colleges are very average students. Nice, but not the best and the brightest.

Old 06-24-2013, 08:20 PM

I talked to the counselor at Three Rivers today and she thinks I have a good chance of getting into UCONN, especially since I will have already completed my AA. Wish me luck
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut