Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How did the Bruins 2011-2013 title run compare to the Celtics 2008-2010 run in Hartford/CT?
Bigger deal 2 15.38%
Same 1 7.69%
Celtics were bigger 2 15.38%
Celtics were much bigger 2 15.38%
No choice 6 46.15%
Voters: 13. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2013, 11:30 PM

1,264 posts, read 2,422,678 times

Advertisements

Curious with the finals being over on a few things:

1) When I lived in CT, nobody cared about the Bruins or really, the NHL beyond Greater New York. Out of the sports, the Bruins had the smallest following of any Boston team and the biggest margin in any sport behind New York.
-Is this still the case?

2) Have the Bruins been adopted and boomed up like the Pats, Sox, or Celtics or not really?
-Does NY still hold a huge advantage?

3) Compared to the Celtics 2008 title and 2010 title defeat...how the Bruins title in 2011 and title defeat in 2013 rank? Was this a bigger, same, less, or much less of a deal in the Hartford and CT region?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2013, 01:09 AM

1,572 posts, read 1,539,550 times
I didn't pay attention, since I hate ALL Boston area teams equally!

A friend from Glastonbury hates the Red Sox, yet loves the Yankees and the Celtics. Odd man, he is!

Old 06-25-2013, 05:16 AM

83,283 posts, read 74,525,174 times
The only sports I watch is hockey and soccer and football after half the season is through. Anything else just me to sleep.

With that said, I hate NY. I hate Boston. So no teams from there will be cheered on for by me. Do the Giants count being in NJ? LOL I guess it's the goon thing I dont care for.

Glad Chicago won the Cup even though I'm a Montreal fan.

Old 06-25-2013, 06:38 AM

1,255 posts, read 1,948,415 times
I'd say the Bruins have about the same following as the Red Sox and more than the Celtics. That being said, many people do not root for the Bruins either because they are fans of another team or are disgusted by the NHL.

Old 06-25-2013, 06:58 AM

17,330 posts, read 32,864,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post

Glad Chicago won the Cup even though I'm a Montreal fan.

I think that I was just about the only person in Montreal who was cheering for Boston over Chicago. Hey, listen, if you lived in Massachusetts for a couple of years, that "Boston Strong" mentality doesn't leave you so quickly!

Old 06-25-2013, 07:34 AM

7,380 posts, read 15,619,696 times
the only sport i really care about is hockey, but the only team i really cared about was the whalers. and i didn't really care about them that much, i just like watching hockey more than anything.

however my husband grew up in meriden and he is a diehard bruins fan. he also likes the red sox, really doesn't care about the celtics or the patriots. he is quite a bit older than me and the whalers weren't in the nhl when he was a kid.

Old 06-25-2013, 08:46 PM

811 posts, read 1,728,963 times
Bigger question is if the Whalers came back, which team would you root for then?

Personally... Whalers, as if they never left.

Last edited by CTbrooktrout; 06-25-2013 at 09:13 PM..

Old 06-25-2013, 08:54 PM

83,283 posts, read 74,525,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTbrooktrout View Post
Bigger questions is if the Whalers came back, which team would you root for then?

Personally... Whalers, as if they never left.
Yeah, that might be tough but if you see the passion and hear the fans of Montreal, you'll know why I would still be a Habs fan.

I used to be a Ranger fan as a kid but then I realized 3 things. Too many goons on the team, to corperate with advertisments,comercials, good looking players being more important, and arena was waay to quiet. its like being in a library in there during the game while people BS with eachother instead of follow the game which is a split second game

Old 06-25-2013, 09:24 PM

11,243 posts, read 18,721,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
Yeah, that might be tough but if you see the passion and hear the fans of Montreal, you'll know why I would still be a Habs fan.

I used to be a Ranger fan as a kid but then I realized 3 things. Too many goons on the team, to corperate with advertisments,comercials, good looking players being more important, and arena was waay to quiet. its like being in a library in there during the game while people BS with eachother instead of follow the game which is a split second game
In the US, I think the basic true "hockey towns" are:

Boston
Buffalo
Denver
Detroit
Hartford (when the Whalers were there)
Minneapolis-St. Paul

(I'm only noting cities with an NHL team, and yes I know that Denver, Hartford, and MSP lost their teams though Denver and MSP got another one back)

Then there is what I call the "2nd tier". I don't think they are "hockey towns" in the passionate sense of the 6 above, but they are so big combined with being in the North that there's enough fans that the sport is not "invisible" there either. There's 3 cities in this group (in order of "passion", thought the above list was strictly alphabetical):

Philly
Chicago
New York (City, upstate is very much "hockey country", see Buffalo above)

(and yes, I know Chicago and NY were part of the "Original Six", but again, I think their "hockey passion" (not just following the pro teams, but youth leagues, etc.) are not quite that of say Massachusetts/New England in general, Minnesota, upstate NY, etc.).......most pro players who come from the US come from either the upper Midwest or from New England/upstate NY....you don't find many NHL players from Chicago and the ones from the NY metro area are often from CT or the northernmost parts of the NY suburbs)

Old 06-26-2013, 07:14 AM

3,430 posts, read 3,903,899 times
The NYC area supports three teams, so I think it's pretty safe to say its a hockey town. I would also put Pittsburgh and Philly in the top tier. But I agree with the rest.

As for CT, for most people over 30, the Whalers were their team and still are. I still enjoy the NHL, but haven't picked a new team.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut