Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2007, 08:51 AM
hfd

47 posts, read 246,915 times

Advertisements

Some of that is true. Fairfield County is quite large, and for instance television ratings bear out that more people in the Danbury area consider themselves part of Connecticut than NYC. Remember people across the county also watch CT television stations for election news, etc. That information is not provided by NY stations.

"people who live in Fairfield County are originally from NY" I'm not sure is totally accurate. There are thousands of people in FC that are just plain Connecticut Yankees.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2007, 08:59 AM

223 posts, read 1,173,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadedWest View Post
Yes, but ... people who live in Fairfield County are originally from NY or gravitate toward NYC for entertainment, etc. and the media focus is on NYC radio and TV (cable carries all the NYC television stations, for example). Fairfield County is far more like a NYC suburb than it is like the other parts of of Connecticut.
People who live in Fairfield County are certainly not all originally from New York. While southwestern Connecticut may gravitate towards greater New York for media and entertainment purposes, Fairfield County is a major center of employment and business in its own right. As a previous poster said, a substantial majority of residents in Fairfield County do not work in New York; they work in Connecticut. For example, Stamford (while benefitting from a close proximity to New York) is one of the country's largest corporate centers.

Old 11-08-2007, 09:12 AM

2,394 posts, read 4,086,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yankee.peddler View Post
People who live in Fairfield County are certainly not all originally from New York.
Did you miss the word OR?

Employment isn't the issue; the entertainment/news/urban-stuff focus in Fairfield County is on NYC not Hartford or New Haven.

Old 11-08-2007, 01:48 PM

223 posts, read 1,173,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadedWest View Post
Did you miss the word OR?

Employment isn't the issue; the entertainment/news/urban-stuff focus in Fairfield County is on NYC not Hartford or New Haven.
I did. Thanks for the clarification.

Old 11-09-2007, 12:03 PM

333 posts, read 467,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skytrekker View Post
'Greater NYC' also includes some eastern counties in PA-I frankly disagree with this, as I do with the lumping in of New Haven, and Waterbury . I can see most of Fairfield county as included with greater NYC- but the other areas forenamed are extreme exurbs that do have a regional identity of their own.
I do see what you mean, but both Waterbury and New Haven are part of the New York Metropolitan Area (as is Pike County, PA which is more than 2 hours from Manhattan) - whether one agrees with them or not, they are still part of the area. Pike County is the fastest growing county in PA - mainly because NYers prefer the dirt cheap prices over a short commute.

I can see not including Waterbury (even though Metro-North travels into the city) but New Haven is absolutely part of the NYC area. It is a prime destination for many Manhattan locals and many newcomers I've met at Yale are so excited to be "so close to New York". While driving through the city (NYC), you will see many signs leading motorists to New Haven; not even Stamford. Many folks in and around New Haven commute to the city daily via Union Station and if you were to tell New Havenites they are not part of the NYC area, I'm sure most will vehemently disagree. It is and very much so.

Even though Danbury is closer in mileage to Hartford, as is New Haven, compare the sizes of the two cities - NY is in the millions, Hartford is in the low hundreds of thousands. Both cities are served by local commuter rail to NYC, neither are connected to Hartford in this way. Manhattan is one of the greatest cities in the world (in size, culture, etc) and Hartford, while I'm not knocking it, has certain issues that even some people in suburbs don't want to be bothered with. Also, south of Waterbury and west of New Haven, people watch NY television (with the exception of election results), call New York 'the city' and the majority (yes, majority, not minority) of people I've come across in this area are originally from New York, have family in New York, and the younger ones travel to New York for a night on the town.

Whether people agree with it or not, both Waterbury and New Haven are part of the New York Metropolitan Area. Maybe the debate should be, should the NY metro area in CT still be considered New England? JK

Old 11-09-2007, 12:42 PM

According to statistical information, the NY area actually includes Litchfield County as well.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...lustration.PNG

Old 11-09-2007, 03:01 PM

639 posts, read 2,711,216 times
Quote:
Both cities are served by local commuter rail to NYC, neither are connected to Hartford in this way.
Amtrak has 12 daily shuttle trains on the Hartford/New Haven route. In the near future the Conn. DOT will have commuter trains with more frequency between New Haven and Springfield.

Old 11-09-2007, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uconn99 View Post
Amtrak has 12 daily shuttle trains on the Hartford/New Haven route. In the near future the Conn. DOT will have commuter trains with more frequency between New Haven and Springfield.
Most commuters do not use Amtrak.

Old 11-09-2007, 03:37 PM

575 posts, read 3,132,329 times
I would even include the southern most tip of Hartford County, Berlin and Southington, in the NYC area as both these towns are mainly surrounded by New Haven county. I've even found certain numbers to have 203 area codes in these towns. Southington seems to get more New Haven area media than Hartford, and just by chance noticed the town was left off the last Hartford County phone directory we recieved. I know people in both towns that commute to NYC weekly

Old 11-09-2007, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by glxyman21 View Post
I would even include the southern most tip of Hartford County, Berlin and Southington, in the NYC area as both these towns are mainly surrounded by New Haven county. I've even found certain numbers to have 203 area codes in these towns. Southington seems to get more New Haven area media than Hartford, and just by chance noticed the town was left off the last Hartford County phone directory we recieved. I know people in both towns that commute to NYC weekly
I see what you mean - the commute to NYC from Southington is about the same as the commute from Hawley, PA (NE Penn). The only reason why more NYC commuters live in Connecticut is because Metro-North makes commuting a lot easier.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut