Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2013, 04:51 PM

363 posts, read 635,213 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
You have to rebuild key ramps to be long enough, and also modern systems have over-flow prevention on the ramps. Once a car reaches the end, it lets more cars onto the highway.

I don't see it being a huge deal on many on-ramps. A few in Fairfield are actually very long, and that's a prime example of a place that needs them.

It can work. It's better than nothing! This state is low on solutions.
Fairfield and Bridgeport are the areas I was thinking that this wouldn't work. Can't imagine the chaos this would create on Fairfield ave. and on the post road in Fairfield near the downtown area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2013, 06:01 PM

11,669 posts, read 17,944,080 times
God no. Any tolls anywhere should be banned. It's annoying to have to stop the car, wait in lines and whip out your wallet and pay a stupid toll. I'd rather have my income taxes increase before I pay a toll.

Old 07-16-2013, 06:16 PM

691 posts, read 1,150,117 times
Did you actually read the thread before commenting?

Open road tolling is pictured in the left lanes below. You need an EZ-Pass. No stopping whatsoever. As discussed in the thread..those without an EZ-pass would be billed through the mail.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
God no. Any tolls anywhere should be banned. It's annoying to have to stop the car, wait in lines and whip out your wallet and pay a stupid toll. I'd rather have my income taxes increase before I pay a toll.

Old 07-16-2013, 06:33 PM

3,350 posts, read 4,167,368 times
Nice photo pulp fiction. Where on 95 do we have that much bandwidth/comparable lane-age ? No portion of 95 in CT is that wide without resorting to eminent domain.

Old 07-16-2013, 06:49 PM

1,348 posts, read 3,098,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
That's how EZ Pass works. If you have a NJ EZ Pass, you get discounts on NJ tolls, NY EZ Pass, the same.

THAT SAID, a CT resident can get either. You basically have to pick the highways you'll be on the most to get the discount.

As long as you have an EZ Pass you get the discount no matter what state you get it through. Everyone gets the pass from the same web site and you have to enter a shipping address so they know where you live.

Old 07-16-2013, 06:56 PM

691 posts, read 1,150,117 times
It wouldn't need to be that wide if it were all electronic tolling (no cash). The I-95 tolls in NH have like 6-8 cash lanes to the right of the two electronic lanes. Sure it would help to expand to 5 lanes each way...but unfortunately that wont happen without right-of-way acquisition, as you mentioned. That said...3 lanes of electronic tolls wouldn't make traffic flow any worse (as long as drivers get a clue and proceed through the tolls at highway speeds), while (hopefully) putting a peak-demand tax on drivers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilton2ParkAve View Post
Nice photo pulp fiction. Where on 95 do we have that much bandwidth/comparable lane-age ? No portion of 95 in CT is that wide without resorting to eminent domain.

Old 07-16-2013, 07:50 PM

3,350 posts, read 4,167,368 times
Peak demand taxes? What a terrible idea... why are we penalizing employees that are the backbone of the Connecticut economy (and already pay a disproportionate share of revenues). Even those that commute from across state lines pay ct income taxes (at up to their local state rates).

Old 07-16-2013, 09:16 PM

4,317 posts, read 4,205,117 times
Does anyone yet know what affect would tolls have on the local economy, for example how tolls would effect prices of milk, bread, eggs, yogurt, fruit, tomato, potato, meat, chicken, clothes, fuel, electronics?

What about commuting costs of middle class?

Does anyone really understand what would happen to local traffic, due to toll avoiders? Would Route 1 be able to handle increased traffic? What about residential or City streets?

Here is a solution -- elect politicians to Hartford, who can manage the money, and who can build things. So far, electorate has done a poor job electing...

Old 07-16-2013, 10:08 PM

21,738 posts, read 28,070,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilton2ParkAve View Post
Parts of 91 and 84 are.

Old 07-16-2013, 11:51 PM

591 posts, read 820,599 times
Only residents of nanny states like taxes and tolls.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut