Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2013, 08:33 AM

2,256 posts, read 4,497,126 times

Advertisements

If you REALLY take your time and look you can find something like you describe in any part of Ct besides the SW. As far as windham county, for that price just stay out of the "downtowns". Stick to the back roads. The downtown areas always have a bad element do to the influx of drugs and bad elements along the 395 corridor. In Danielson particularly its always a bad element from Providence or Worcester bringing in drugs to the addicts and guns to protect the dealers. Its almost a seasonal problem that has been playing out for decades between them and Troop D and it ain't gonna get any better in those downtown areas with talk now of consolidation of the Tropp D barracks with another. Outside of those small pockets youd prob never know of it.
Litchfield county has much less of that being less accesable to highways and having a smaller younger demographic. Just a lil harder to find your price range, but still not impossible and Litchfield is gorgeous if not a lil boring for those with a limited imagination. Its fits this NE corner native perfectly though and I never have a problem finding something to do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2013, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hip Priest View Post
It's my understanding that NW CT is much, much more expensive than NE CT. Also, I don't mind cold winters. They can't be much different from Long Island's or Pittsburgh's gloomy winters.

NW ct has many more mutlti million dollar estates throughout compared to other areas like the NE corner, but there still are inexpensive, small, cute places if you look around. Even in the more desirable towns like Litchfield, Sharon, Kent, Salisbury etc. Just takes some looking and careful choosing. Don't fall into a basket case because you "fall in love" with a particular, theres good, reasonable properties that need little if you have just a lil patience.
The difference with winter in the very NW corner is the slight drop in temp, 3-7 degrees on average and the elevated snow accumilations comparitively. We see a few more feet of snow a year than say hartford, many times double the daily amount.

Old 07-17-2013, 08:38 AM

2,695 posts, read 3,489,693 times
You should rent, it sounds like you think CT is full of beautiful areas. There are many beautiful areas but there are some very sketchy areas as well and to be completely honest for $110,000 you'll end up in a sketchy area. Those beautiful area cost $$$ and rural communities even cost mucho bucks.

Old 07-17-2013, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_250 View Post
You should rent, it sounds like you think CT is full of beautiful areas. There are many beautiful areas but there are some very sketchy areas as well and to be completely honest for $110,000 you'll end up in a sketchy area. Those beautiful area cost $$$ and rural communities even cost mucho bucks.

Umm yeah.. not really.. as someone that has lived many years in BOTH rural NE AND NW corners of Ct. That is not true. Sounds like someone who has not even visited Ct and just thinks of it as yuppies playing tennis on their private courts.. lol

Old 07-17-2013, 08:47 AM

13,371 posts, read 27,039,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hip Priest View Post
It's my understanding that NW CT is much, much more expensive than NE CT. Also, I don't mind cold winters. They can't be much different from Long Island's or Pittsburgh's gloomy winters.
Torrington has many low-cost homes, and a few in the $110K price range. I think they would be in better shape than a comparably priced place in Danielson. What you will find in the NE part of Connecticut in that price range will be pretty run-down. Another option for NE is a mobile home. I would suggest avoiding Willimantic.

Old 07-17-2013, 08:49 AM

654 posts, read 945,064 times
I'm also taking property taxes into consideration. I want to live in a part of the state, generally speaking, that has relatively low (at least low by CT standards) property taxes. I don't want to be paying $4,000 per year on a $100,000, 900 SF house.

Old 07-17-2013, 08:51 AM

However, my mother is both elderly and disabled, so if I purchase the house with her, perhaps there are some tax credits we would qualify for. Maybe those credits, if they exist, would lower our property taxes by a decent amount. Does anyone know anything about tax credits or exemptions in CT?

Old 07-17-2013, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenage1 View Post
Torrington has many low-cost homes, and a few in the $110K price range. I think they would be in better shape than a comparably priced place in Danielson. What you will find in the NE part of Connecticut in that price range will be pretty run-down. Another option for NE is a mobile home. I would suggest avoiding Willimantic.
I'll have to look into Torrington. What is it like there? Are there crime issues? Drug issues? Section 8 or housing projects to worry about? Does one have to live in fear?

Old 07-17-2013, 08:53 AM

4,787 posts, read 11,759,960 times
You won't find housing projects in eastern CT as you would in Pittsburgh because these are small towns.
Many were former mill towns so you'll find lots of older mill worker type housing. That means lots of close together, mostly little, single family, two story type homes near where the former mills were.

Otherwise the towns sprawl with many homes miles from town center and any amenities.

Willimantic is a borough in the town of Windham. Moosup is a village in the town of Plainfield. Other villages in Plainfield are Wauregan and Central Village. Danielson is a a village in the town of Killingly. These are all small, mostly blue collar type towns. The centers of town might be built up to an extent but it's fairly rural out there.

Many people feel the area is sort of economically depressed in that it doesn't support a lot of white collar work. The mills are long gone, so most people travel a distance to get to work ( many commute into RI) or work in many of the industrial parks out there.

It's quiet, it's generally safe. There's just no much going on. Your little house is going to be at the very bottom of home values in the $ 110,000 range. That means there won't be all that many of them. It's going to be a major fixer upper. It's also more likely to be closer to the denser village centers of any of those little towns. You'd really need to get yourself in the over $150 ,000 range to get something on an other than postage stamp size lot that didn't need a rehab or renovation. Even then it's still a very low price for the area.

Besides just something really cheap, what it is you're looking for in a town? Just to move somewhere cheap that has nothing else you want may be an exercise in futility.

Old 07-17-2013, 08:55 AM

2,695 posts, read 3,489,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LRPct View Post

Umm yeah.. not really.. as someone that has lived many years in BOTH rural NE AND NW corners of Ct. That is not true. Sounds like someone who has not even visited Ct and just thinks of it as yuppies playing tennis on their private courts.. lol
I am not following you. I live in CT and work all over the State. In CT there are many rural towns that cost a lot of money (mostly in NW CT). True, you could find a fixer up for cheap in these areas or some nice places but for $110,000 what is really the inventory. NE CT would be more inline for what he wants to pay. I know CT is not full of yuppies, I grew up in New Britain, far from yuppies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut